carp..the fish.. Hey John :). May 10th update

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Cancatchbass
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Salmon

Post by Cancatchbass »

I somehow missed the photo with the snapper the first time around.

We do studies on snappers (and Blandings and Musks) at the National Park where I work- normally from late May into July.

I presume that particular specimen was pretty lethargic? Otherwise, I wouldn't let a child get that close to one- unless I had my Glock trained on his bony skull. Just kidding, don't have a Glock. :lol:

Anyways, in warmer conditions, these things can move remarkably quickly on land, even twisting and jumping in one fast move to attack a perceived threat coming from behind. :shock:

CCB
SALMON
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by SALMON »

:D No worries with the snapping turtle. Its about the 3rd one we have handled this year. I used to teach outdoor ed. for the conservation authority and my kids have grown up with the critters. The turtle was also more interested in me sticking my camera in its face and Victoria was well back except for her hand. She knows how far the head can come back. :)
SALMON
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by SALMON »

:D Snuck out just before supper and the thunder storm. Jonathan managed a good 17 lb Carp and I got skunked . Rain came and we made a run for it.. I insisted Jonathan hold this one for a picture. His smile started to turn into a..Ok dad..this fish is "Heavy" look.

RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

Salmon!...are you using rabbits for bait??????... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Markus
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Markus »

RJ wrote:Salmon!...are you using rabbits for bait??????... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
RJ, that is funny! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Salmon, nice fish and picture!
Legend
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Recipe for Carp

Post by Legend »

:roll: Being born a Brit and having lived there til' the tender age of 12, I can say that Carp are not unfamiliar to me. In fact, they can be one of the most difficult fish to catch. Those barbells are very sensitive, as are their mouths. You should check out some of the "Coarse Fishing" equipment available. You could easily spend 5X the money on a top notch Carp fishing outfit as compared to a Steelhead rig.

Anyways, back to the recipe.

First a good coal fire is necessary.
Filet the Carp and add salt and paprika and a little dill with lemon.
Second add thouroughly composted sheep dip and wrap the whole thing in tin foil.
Place in the fire for approx. 45 mins.
Remove from the fire, unwrap the tin foil, toss the Carp and eat the sheep dip.

:) Legend
Markus
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Markus »

Legend, You had my attention! :lol: :lol: :lol:
SALMON
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by SALMON »

:D Yes I get the rabbit to go near the edge of the water and then club the carp when it gets close... :lol: The one in the lower right of the photo ..you have good eyes by the way.. is Victorias pet. She puts it on a harness and walks it while we fish.
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

After looking at that pic again....I'm not sure who's face is funnier...your young lad begging to put that monster down....or the carp with his eye looking down as if to say...."gawd not again"... :lol: :lol: :lol:

RJ
Markus
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Markus »

SALMON wrote::D Yes I get the rabbit to go near the edge of the water and then club the carp when it gets close... :lol:
I was invisioning a monster 75 yard cast. :lol:
big-o
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by big-o »

JOHN

i think you are being replaced as the offical carp guy by Jonathon...NICE FISH JONATHON......we have gone from Carp John to Carp Jonathon :lol: Keep the Photo's coming :lol: :lol: :lol:
I love the look on his face....angler of the year....youth division :lol:

BIG-O(Phil)<*!!!><

Post by Guest »

Nice looking fish... love that face!