Flippin' advice

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Lunkerlurker
Participant
Participant

Post by Lunkerlurker »

50# Power Pro for flipppin n pitchin.

As for the fade to white a black permanent marker will take care of that and the die will last at least the whole day.

For flippin heavy cover/1 oz jigs I use a custom made AllStar BigBoy one piece flippin stick that as yet to breack 50# Power Pro but did broke the IAR bearing :evil:

LL
JustinHoffman
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by JustinHoffman »

Hello All,

Flipping and pitching is a great passion for myself, and the technique I use the most when out bassin'. It has produced more big fish (5lb+) for me than any other technique.
I still remember the first day I tried flipping. Probably 15 years ago on Pigeon Lake, after seeing an episode of Canadian Sportfishing the day before. Never really turned back from then.
I've always stuck with mono for flipping, and find no real need to change. 17lb. clear mono by Trilene, but lately I've switched over to BPS's own premium mono. Never had a breakoff in all the years, just a few biteoffs by northerns. For flipping and pitching application in close quarters, I prefer the stretch of mono as opposed to PP. It gives a little on hooksets. Setting the hook as hard as I do with 8 feet of line out with PP might cause a problem with broken rods or snapped lines...
Mono has never let me down, so I see no reason to switch. A lot has to do with confidence and what you get used to...
Good Fishing,
Justin
Justin Hoffman
Field Editor - Ontario Out of Doors Magazine
Fishing Writer / Wildlife Photographer
www.JustinHoffmanOutdoors.com
eye-tracker
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by eye-tracker »

I like to spool up power Power Pro braid when flipping or pitch'n heavy cover for walleye, I find the bass are a little easier to get up on top of the weeds and surf them back to the boat, but the walleye nose into bottom and the base of the weeds, therefore the braid really helps hauling the fish out.

All the best in the weeds...

-Sheldon
Sheldon Hatch
Just a guy that likes to fish walleye
Coop
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Coop »

All this information is great.

I'm so flippin' happy that I started theis flippin' thread about flippin'! :D
DaveH
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by DaveH »

Anyone know of some good online resources for flippin techniques??

I want to try flippin next year, but to be honest, I don't really understand the technique or where/when to use it *L*
grumpy7790
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Articles

Post by grumpy7790 »

MichaelVandenberg
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by MichaelVandenberg »

20 lb vanish...Didn't lose a fish all year :wink: ...Didn't catch many either :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mike
NTouhey
Participant
Participant

Flippin' line

Post by NTouhey »

I like the 80# Powerpro for flippin into bullrushes or pencil reeds, 50# for everything else. I also really like the 65# and 50# Spiderwire Stealth.

Nigel
dana
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Braid

Post by dana »

I agree with Fins PRT...very good...
PP is good..
Fire line is good...
Pline is good
Spydeewire is good
heavy mono is good ....and yes braid will have a 1lb strength when it touches anything sharp,... rocks,pilings at least mono will extrude a bit
wB
steve-hamilton
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by steve-hamilton »

if PRT was pounded on anglers like Power Pro is, it would be the number one line....

but powerpro focus's on advertising, when PRT focus's on improving their line....

just do some casting with both, side by side....
furious
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by furious »

I use 2 lines for my flipping and pitching exclusively.

50 to 65 pound TUF line in green or black. (used to be called Supercast, I don't know if it still available, but it works great)

20 pound Seaguar Carbon Pro.

I use the braid in any heavy cover, pad hopping and in some deep weeds.

I use the Carbon Pro in clear water and on deep weeds. I also use it when fishing docks and trees if they are not too nasty. I haven't had any break offs with it in 2 years and it is really sensitive stuff.

Try the carbon pro, you will like it.

As far as Fireline I use it on all my spinning rods, with a Flouro leader. I use to use it on my flipping sticks and would use it again in a heartbeat.

I dont like power pro personally, I hate windknots.