chain saw to cut ice

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
saskie
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by saskie »

It will work, beaver trappers do it regularly. Hole size may end up being an issue, as for the blocks of ice - if they're too heavy cut them up.
There are few problems in life which can not be solved with a well-placed, high-explosive projectile.
FireFox
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by FireFox »

Saskie is correct - its a common technique by beaver trappers up north before the ice gets too thick. It does make a hell of a rooster tail as FFF noted. CCB's noted trick of pushing the block of ice under and over is pretty neat, but its only when the ice is thin. When the ice gets thicker, you pretty much have to cut the ice in segments so you can use a pick to haul it out.

Ive heard of a few guys breaking saws using them for cutting ice - though that was with older machines back a few years now. Cant remember the particulars of why they failed, but I suspect its hard on the saw.

In my opinion - for fishing, the ice auger is a much better choice. Besides, I would imagine there are a ton of holes out in the common fishing area that you could open up with a pick or axe.

Fox
Seaweed
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Chainsawing ice

Post by Seaweed »

Works really well actually.

I see most hut operators like to use them so that the holes have a better chance of staying open and you just need to spud a few holes the next day. I have seen them do this and then just push the ice down and away from the hut.