What knot to use to tie braid to mono?

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: What knot to use to tie braid to mono?

Post by smitty55 »

Curls I looked up that knot and there seems to be lots of leeway in how many wraps are required. You like 5 and 5, first site I checked said 7 and 7 and then wired2fish said 8 and 10. What gives? Does it depend on the size of the lines, i.e. lighter lines = more wraps? It seems like a nice simple knot for those of us with failing eyes lol. Tks.
Smitty

Straight shooter
zippyfx
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by zippyfx »

curls wrote:I use the Alberto knot, which I believe is a modified albright.
With braid-to-mono (or fluoro), you make a loop in the mono/fluoro and wrap the braid. 5 times 'up', 5 times 'down'. Look it up on Google and you'll know what I mean.
The best part is, this knot is REALLY strong, does not pinch the mono/fluoro creating any weak spots, and it a VERY small knot so it flies through guides really well.
Cool, I like the look of this one, I've never heard of it before. I like the uni-uni but it really is frustrating when dealing with thin lines.
curls
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by curls »

smitty55 wrote:Curls I looked up that knot and there seems to be lots of leeway in how many wraps are required. You like 5 and 5, first site I checked said 7 and 7 and then wired2fish said 8 and 10. What gives? Does it depend on the size of the lines, i.e. lighter lines = more wraps? It seems like a nice simple knot for those of us with failing eyes lol. Tks.
With 50# braid and 15# fluoro, I use 5 and 5.
With 40# braid and 12# fluoro, I use 5 and 5, or 6 and 6. I've never had a knot failure with this knot as long as I've been using it. I really don't think it matters as long as you have the wraps in an 'X' pattern across each other (not doubled-up one direction... you need the shoelace effect!!).

BTW, the most critical part of the Alberto knot is that the braid (thinner line) MUST come through the loop the same direction 'in' and 'out' of the knot. IE: If you're holding the loop horizontally, the braid needs to come UP into the loop, wrap 5up/5dn, then exit the loop DOWNWARDS. The same direction as it came in. Another way to think of it is that the tag end must be parallel to itself, not perpindicular to the knot.