Congrats to Rob Jackson

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Out4trout
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: Congrats to Rob Jackson

Post by Out4trout »

It was a great article for sure. Very helpful to our sport in expanding targeted species.
Justin and Rob teaming for this is just cool.
Footnote...I may just go after them myself soon, saw a few on the Larry last summer, put the article tips to the test.
GuinnessGuy
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by GuinnessGuy »

Nice write up!
These are on my bucket list to target... someday.
Valleyboy
Participant
Participant

Post by Valleyboy »

I can't wait to read the article on these super cool Prehistoric predators!

Noticed lots of gars the last few years in the Quebec bays on the Lower section (Rockland). I once observed a school of probably 50 gars once at Cobden suspended over really deep water feeding on smelt in the fall.

The biggest one I ever caught was out of a canoe at my folks cottage on Allumettes Island about ten years ago. I saw a fish busting bait in a little back bay at dusk and jumped in the canoe with just a pop-r (I thought it was a big bass). I caught and released the biggest gar I have ever seen that night and I really wish I have taken a photo of it. I figured it went around 14-16 pounds.

What is the record for weight? I'm sure it will be in the article. :ugeek:
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

I know this is a little old but I want to say congrats to RJ for another published article and to Justin for a very well written article. I wanted to wait until I read the story before making a comment and I must say, it was very informative.

Congrats again to you both.

Adam
JustinHoffman
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by JustinHoffman »

Thanks, Adam. Glad you enjoyed it!

Good Fishing,
Justin
Justin Hoffman
Field Editor - Ontario Out of Doors Magazine
Fishing Writer / Wildlife Photographer
www.JustinHoffmanOutdoors.com
RobbS
Participant
Participant

Re: Congrats to Rob Jackson (& Justin Hoffman!!)

Post by RobbS »

I rarely buy a fishing magazine these days, being a shore fishing, in-city fellow. But, to see an image of a longnose gar on the cover of the OOD 2014 Fishing Annual, I couldn't resist!

I've hunted gar in the shallows of the Ottawa between Andy Haydon Park and Britannia, in the mouth of (what I call) the Restricted Zone at Shirley's Bay and down at the mouth the great Carp River at Fitzroy Provincial Park. I only do water-walking in the AHP - Britannia stretch these days. There was very little that I learned in the article, since it appears that what I have been doing in the past is spot on! But, this season, I may just try a crankbait... just for the fun of it. I always keep in mind that a lounging gar in the shallows will almost invariably strike at anything that comes within range.

Anyway. High kudos to Justin for the writing, to RJ for helping to bring gar hunting out of the closet, and to both.... for maybe turning this old soul into a "legitimate" fisherfolk and not just that "crazy dude wandering the shallows with his float thing looking for - HA! - gar!!" Maybe someday I'll get to fish the lower Ottawa for those huge toothy dinosaurs....
wolfe
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by wolfe »

Proud of both Rob and Justin. Two class acts and guys who really know their stuff. Wish I could fish like Rob and take pictures like Justin. :D

RJ, you are certainly worthy of the moniker Gar-J.

W.
Last edited by wolfe on Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thanks, Dad, for taking me fishing when I was a kid.
zippyfx
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by zippyfx »

Just picked it up and read the article. Great read! It's got me thinking of soft water adventures :)
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

Thanks folks! Will spring ever get here!?!?!?!

RJ