Is this a Big Large Mouth Bass ??

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Bass Addict
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Re: Is this a Big Large Mouth Bass ??

Post by Bass Addict »

bobfly wrote:OK Class, time for another lesson. Nice fish but don't hold it vertical by the jaw. IT HURTS THE FISH!

What about this type of hold.....does this hurt the fish ??

There will be an influx of Great Grey Owls in the winter of 2017
Fishing 24/7
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Fishing 24/7 »

Bass Addict wrote:
bobfly wrote:OK Class, time for another lesson. Nice fish but don't hold it vertical by the jaw. IT HURTS THE FISH!

everything seems legit to me .
TheMaverick
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by TheMaverick »

Fishing 24/7 wrote:everything seems legit to me .
I simply admire the expressionism movement and bewildering array in Craig's visage....befuddlement at it's best.

As for the assassination of that bass, let's call it the "Zapruder Phenomenon" Paul always seem's to capture amazing pictures, talk about being in the right place at the right time.

I'll let the slanted horizon slide on this one Paul....but next time please apply yourself :lol:
If fishin ain't your mission, then you can kiss my Bass!
bobfly
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by bobfly »

Some of the fish shown in this thread are likely 20+ years old. Too bad that is as old as they will likely get. Keep it up Bravados. Soon there won't be any big ones left. Holding the fish vertically by the jaw injures the jaw structure and re-arranges the internal organs. Time left out of the water while someone fumbles with the camera and then take too many pictures increases the stress levels. Slime removal. It all adds up.

All fish that are being released should be held horizontally with two hands and out of the water no more than seven seconds, less if the water is on the warm side for that species. I've brought this up several times on this board and will continue to do so until it gets into some thick skulls. No science here, just common sense.
bobfly
cprince
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by cprince »

bobfly wrote:Some of the fish shown in this thread are likely 20+ years old. Too bad that is as old as they will likely get. Keep it up Bravados. Soon there won't be any big ones left. Holding the fish vertically by the jaw injures the jaw structure and re-arranges the internal organs. Time left out of the water while someone fumbles with the camera and then take too many pictures increases the stress levels. Slime removal. It all adds up.

All fish that are being released should be held horizontally with two hands and out of the water no more than seven seconds, less if the water is on the warm side for that species. I've brought this up several times on this board and will continue to do so until it gets into some thick skulls. No science here, just common sense.

- Maintain respect please bobfly, 24/7 and Maverick.

- I also ask the same of all posters who agree or are diametrically opposed to whatever way of thinking.

- Just because we do not do something the way you would does not a thick skull make.

- Your opinion is just that; Your opinion and you are entitled to it.

If I want to treat my supper like it was the Queen of England or an Amsterdam Madame... it is my prerogative. I welcome your input as long as it is respectful. Just because it is not what you would do, does not make it wrong.

If any of us were truly concerned for the well being of fish, we would not be jamming steel hooks into their mouths... mentally scarring them for life by turning their food into a torture device. They may never want to eat again for fear of being fondled lovingly by a concerned LOVER of nature. I know a prominent fish psychiatrist who tells me that fish caught by fly fishers beat their fry due to PTSD.

Its science.

;-)

Craig
bobfly
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by bobfly »

My apologies to all the thick skulls out there.

I have to admit to holding fish, notably bass, incorrectly but when it was explained why it shouldn't be done, then I stopped. It is pretty hard to train "old dogs". I know, as I've had a number of older dogs in my time (10 actually!). But you will notice that whereas there may be 5 or 6 registered viewers at any time (likely fixed in their ways), there are often more than 20 lurkers, maybe less fixed. Hey, I'm doing this for myself. I want those fish to flourish, so I can catch them.

Native people will tell you not to "play with your food". If you are going to eat your fish, fine. Bring them in quickly and plunk them on the head. Playing the fish too much with too light a gear, something flyfishers are guilty of more than others, is cruel. Holding them out of the water incorrectly and for too long is torture. The more you think about it, the less inclined one can be to do it at all. I remember my dad telling me that he couldn't fish (and he did a lot of it) if he felt the fish could feel pain in the jaw area. I think a lot of us have this view and don't want to find out otherwise.

BTW, I've never heard of a 'fish psychiatrist". Sounds like a great job.
bobfly
ShawnD
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by ShawnD »

Speaking of Native, I heard two guys up in the park got caught with 5 coolers of walleye, estimate of 100 fish being smuggled and sold later.
:| Won't be much fish to catch with that going on...

Fishing is fishing, my theory is try not to put dead fish back in the water and honestly even if you do....
The muskrats and turtles get a free meal.
What I do stress is the release of the big girls, the ones who will hatch far more eggs and be able to defend their nest. If you keep the big girls around the fishery will live on.

Also don't take any offense to my comment, I found it odd you would insert an analogy of Native people and how they treat fish. Native or not every single person is some what different..
Native people have their ups and downs just like anybody else.
Sa pas rapport. ;)
President of the Ottawa Valley South Bassmasters
http://www.ottawabassmasters.com/
Fishing 24/7
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Fishing 24/7 »

bobfly wrote:Some of the fish shown in this thread are likely 20+ years old. Too bad that is as old as they will likely get. Keep it up Bravados. Soon there won't be any big ones left. Holding the fish vertically by the jaw injures the jaw structure and re-arranges the internal organs. Time left out of the water while someone fumbles with the camera and then take too many pictures increases the stress levels. Slime removal. It all adds up.

so bobfly...

you CLEARLY do not fish at all?

right ?

well of course you dont fish AT ALL. cause if you would you would tie a wrom on what ? or use what bait ?

iv learnt all my holding position from big jim.

and if theres a proibleme with that then theres a probleme with all of ontario's and outaouais bass fisherman.

because we lernt from the best.

THE BIG GUY!
bostonwhaler
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by bostonwhaler »

Why bring up natives on a fishing site, lol. Why dont we talk about abortion, religion and politics, wait, lets talk about quebexico as well lol
Hollywood catches more perch than me
cprince
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by cprince »

bostonwhaler wrote:Why bring up natives on a fishing site, lol. Why dont we talk about abortion, religion and politics, wait, lets talk about quebexico as well lol
Make this man a moderator!!!

Craig
i got worms
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by i got worms »

Beauty bigmouth right there!
I got 99 problems but a fish ain't one...
bobfly
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by bobfly »

There ARE some legitimate "native people" out there......somewhere.
bobfly
cprince
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by cprince »

bobfly wrote:There ARE some legitimate "native people" out there......somewhere.
You see Bobfly..??

This is what I am talking about.

Respect.

This is incredibly disrespectful.

I want to you to be able to express your opinion and convey the knowledge you have acquired over the years on this forum. Dissenting voices are what keep this site interesting. I do believe that your only interest is the well being of our national natural resources.

The problem is you come off more like your intent is to sound so much smarter than every one else belittling everyone else in that attempt.

But in the end, comments like the above quoted, make you sound like an ignorant racist antique. I know you must be better than that.

Please act like it or consider this you final warning.

Craig
Tip-up
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Tip-up »

Bass Addict wrote:

I'd imagine it does...
cprince
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by cprince »

Tip-up wrote:I'd imagine it does...
He never complained even while I gutted it...

I am VERY humane as I ALWAYS keep all my blades EXTREMELY sharp.

Craig