Ottawa River Catfish with Kids

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Marko
Participant
Participant

Re: Ottawa River Catfish with Kids

Post by Marko »

Hey nice report. Glad you got a few.
Cut up sucker is also a great bait for bigger fish. If you let it sit around for a day or two it gets even better.
Doug
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Doug »

And how did you enjoy your feed of cats? I am not sure I would be jonesing for a feed this late in the spring, but if they came out of good cold water they should be fine.

Good on you for sticking it out and getting the kids into some fish!

Doug
scarkner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by scarkner »

They were great. Very mild taste, firm flesh. I didn't find a single worm, tumor or parasite.

The kids all gave a big thumbs up and are looking for more!
Doug
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Doug »

scarkner wrote:They were great. Very mild taste, firm flesh. I didn't find a single worm, tumor or parasite.

The kids all gave a big thumbs up and are looking for more!
Good stuff!

Did you fillet them, or do the "whole fish" cleaning job that left the backbone in? I favour the fillets, but I know lots of folks prefer the whole fish, especially if they do them in the oven with bacon on top.............

Doug
scarkner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by scarkner »

Fillet, I fillet almost every type and size of fish I catch. Bad memories as a child constantly picking out and choking on bones to the point where i really hated eating fish. I really pride myself on serving the family a meal of fresh caught fish and not seeing a single bone on the side of the plate.

Occasionally with smaller fish I will do the whole fish, so the kids are not scared of the bones, but I find that even I find that I can focus more on enjoying the taste, etc. if I am not constantly picking through the fish!

Steve