lonesome for ling

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Lurewasher
Participant
Participant

ling

Post by Lurewasher »

Thanks to everybody who responded to my question about burbot .
A Great bunch of guys on here ! info was much appreciated ! ....Bill
Lurewasher
Participant
Participant

Post by Lurewasher »

just a bump,in case anybody missed it that would have commented. : )
MLR
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by MLR »

They can be found in Lake Clear between Eganville and Foymount as well
DalhousieLakeTom
Participant
Participant

Post by DalhousieLakeTom »

I concur with the Otter Lake replies. I have fished that lake alot in the winter and yeah there is a pile of ling there! Always nice too when you might "accidentally" catch a laker, splake, rainbow or BIG pike too. I have been lucky enough to catch all these species myself. Good luck!
-- --------------------------------------------------------
currently hunting or fishing, thinking about hunting or fishing, dreaming about hunting or fishing or dead...
Papaclaude
Participant
Participant

Post by Papaclaude »

For supper, I cooked up 3 walleye and a small ling I had caught. Used my standard egg/milk dip, roll in crushed BBQ chips. I asked my wife which one she liked best, and she was very hard pressed to say which one tasted better. I concur. Mind you, ling caught in the summer are very mushy, like warm-water pike.

BTW - if you haven't tried the crushed chips bit, you're really missing out. I also use crushed dill pickle when cooking trout or salmon. Crushed hickory sticks are great for catfish.
Mad_Dog
Participant
Participant

Post by Mad_Dog »

Here is some interesting stuff... I've been anxious to catch one of these too, having heard stories about them. They can walk on their fins or something?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burbot
Papaclaude
Participant
Participant

Post by Papaclaude »

I was reading the stuff on Wikipedia regarding ling. The world record sizes are interesting, in that I'm sure that if we did not break it several times we were very close to it. The average weight of ling we caught during the smelt run was about 10 lbs. with many of them around 20 lbs. We never bothered weighing any of them because we never thought we were even close to record fish. I'll look to see if I can dig up some pix of some of those fishing trips.