Frustrated

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
saskie
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by saskie »

steadyeddy wrote:What can I say, the 3 of you are right. I am just bummed at how much gas I burn up trying to get to the blinking lakes, that I dont actually make it to...lol, its kinda comical.
When Kelly and I started fishing this area when we were here last time we burned a whole lot of gas and cash "chasing fish" - anywhere we heard the fishing was good - we were there. The result was a pretty frustrating season and a drained bank account and very few fish since, even on good lakes, if you don't know squat about the patterns and structures (combined with the fact that neither of us had fished bass before EVER) you have to be realistic about your chances of success.

After that first season we decided to change tactics - we picked 3 lakes close to home and fished them exclusively (and OFTEN); lo and behold we got to know those lakes pretty well - and we started to catch a lot more fish.

One lake, (Clayton) we gave up on - it's a good lake, has lots of good fish but it just doesn't like us.

Some have been overlooked gems - lakes that people discount but hold little pockets of great action that unless you put the time in you won't find.

That's my advice - if you want to catch loads of fish. If you want adventure and new experiences, keep doing what you're doing.
There are few problems in life which can not be solved with a well-placed, high-explosive projectile.
ganman
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by ganman »

Redhorse Lake does not have any public access directly on the lake. You have to access it thru either Gananoque or Singleton Lake and neither are public. The easiest way in with a canoe is to launch on Donaldsons Bay of Charleston and then portage into Redhorse. Either way its a poor choice for a canoeist wanting to fish trout. Its too big and open and really kicks up in a wind.

I'd refer you to Upper Rock Lake just west of Chaffeys Lock. Good access. Fish the south shore. If you really wanted a quality experience and didn't mind spending 50 bucks or so then I'd opt for this place near Westport.

http://www.bingretreat.com/
Joisey Joe
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Joisey Joe »

Steve, give me a PM! Joe.
MLR
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by MLR »

saskie wrote:
steadyeddy wrote:What can I say, the 3 of you are right. I am just bummed at how much gas I burn up trying to get to the blinking lakes, that I dont actually make it to...lol, its kinda comical.
When Kelly and I started fishing this area when we were here last time we burned a whole lot of gas and cash "chasing fish" - anywhere we heard the fishing was good - we were there. The result was a pretty frustrating season and a drained bank account and very few fish since, even on good lakes, if you don't know squat about the patterns and structures (combined with the fact that neither of us had fished bass before EVER) you have to be realistic about your chances of success.

After that first season we decided to change tactics - we picked 3 lakes close to home and fished them exclusively (and OFTEN); lo and behold we got to know those lakes pretty well - and we started to catch a lot more fish.

One lake, (Clayton) we gave up on - it's a good lake, has lots of good fish but it just doesn't like us.

Some have been overlooked gems - lakes that people discount but hold little pockets of great action that unless you put the time in you won't find.

That's my advice - if you want to catch loads of fish. If you want adventure and new experiences, keep doing what you're doing.
Well said Saskie
katch moore
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: Frustrated

Post by katch moore »

Todd B. wrote:
DropShot'r wrote:Red Horse is ringed with private property.
The only resort on the lake, is owned by a an individual that should not be in the hospitality business. :shock: :shock:

I would call Shawmere first, and ask if you can launch you canoe before driving to Red Horse..........if you frustrated now, drive all the way there and find out he wont let you launch unless you are staying at the resort :evil: :evil:
I assume everyone is referring to Redhorse Lake in Zone 18? As this lake is stocked by the MNR, and as such must have a public access point of some form. I would suggest calling the Kemptville MNR and inquire as to what/where the public access point is on the lake. If it is indeed the launch at the resort and they do not permit "public" use (even at a reasonable fee) of their launch, I would bring it up with the MNR.
You can access the lake from Gananoque Lake or Singleton Lake.

It much like a brown trout lake I know of. The only access to the Stocked lake is going through the stream that runs into it.