just for fun..HO own a kayak or a canoe in here...?

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
troutbum
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by troutbum »

Picked up a fishing kayak last year from a fella on this site, love it. My boat didn't see to much use last year because of the kayak. I much prefer small out of the way bodies of water and the boat just dosn't cut it. I have it all set up including speakers for my mp3, all my camping gear fits in it nicely, take off for the weekend and have a nice little trout all to myself. :D
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Jimmy_1 »

I use a red Walden Paddler....

Very light and quiet.
Hookup
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Hookup »

My father in law has a fancy carbon-fiber uber-light canoe at the cottage. I take it out on postcard evenings and fly-fish from it, or let the kids jig/cast around from it. I learned to fish from a canoe with my grampa, and I'm passing it on...
Placide
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Placide »

I have two canoes, one is a Sportspal that I use around ottawa and a colman that I have up at the cottage. I love fishing out of my canoes :)
Super
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

canoes

Post by Super »

I fish from a my 16 foot canoe often in the downtown section of the Rideau River.
I have fished from a regular sit-on-top kayak but there was no place for gear, so I just take a rod, one lure and pliers.
I would like to pick up a fishing kayak if anyone has one for a good price.
Super
MTF
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by MTF »

I have a canoe and looking to buy a fishing kayak this spring...With a baby due in July it will be hard to get the boat out for a whole day of fishing...but when I can sneak away for a couple of hours, i think throwing a yak on the roofrack and booking it to the water for a quick fish will do the trick...
tallpaul
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by tallpaul »

I don't have a canoe or a kayak... though I am shopping for a canoe and have fished out of them before.
I've kayaked, but never fished from one!

tallpaul
joco
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by joco »

great response. cool.

i have no prob to bring some people kayak fish if they want to try. 8) .

once you try it....your hookt..you have to get one...................ok for most off them. :lol: :lol: .

great to see there some paddlers in here.

i am sher there is towsend people that fish frome canoes all over the canada.

there so many place perfect for a kayak or a canoe

PLUS i am sher we can arange something a little get together on water
kayak/canoe/pontoon/tubes etc..that would be fun..not a derby just a little gettogether for some fun and a bit off chating on water on a nice weekend day or even a week night hurly went its dark later at night.

and hey snapper...thats is a NICE BASS.. :wink: see you on water

joco
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Jimmy_1 »

My kayak is a 3 seater.

If someone wants to buddy up for a potential outing like this I have an open seat...
KayakMike
Participant
Participant

Post by KayakMike »

Hi Joco

I am kind of a lurker; I log on from time to time and read the reports. And you have some very good stories!
I own an OK Prowler 13, a tiny inflatable kayak called Innova Safari.... and a Pack-Canoe 16.
I love fishing from kayaks, rain or shine, windy or not. I mostly fish the Shiley's Bay area and the areas bellow the Deschenes Rapids. Also fish the Rideau at Kars in the spring, for crappie.
Maybe you should organize some gathering for the kayak-canoe crowd here.
Keep the good work man!
RobM
Participant
Participant

Post by RobM »

I own two canoes, a Swift Kipawa (which is my main tripping boat) and a cedar strip canoe I built myself based on the original Chestnut canoe plans for the 16 foot Prospector.

Anyone that thinks a canoe cannot handle big water should watch some of Bill Mason's videos:

http://www.nfb.ca/film/path_of_the_paddle_solo_basic/

I have paddled on Lake Erie in 3-4 foot swells. Part of a 2 week long trip this summer requires that we paddle close to 100 km on Lac Mistassini. A friend of mine did a 24 day trip in an open canoe along the BC coast. With the correct planning, knowledge and abilities, you can handle big water in a canoe. That being said, the risk factor is obviously higher than with a motor boat.

Some of the best fishing I have ever had has been from canoes. The ability to get places that a motor boat has never seen opens up a lot of fishing opprotunity.

Fishing from a canoe alone is terrible, and I think Kayaks have the edge here because they have less freeboard to be caught by the wind. Fishing with 2 people in a canoe works well unless there is a lot of wind.

I also have a 15 Princecraft with a 25hp, bow mounted trolling motor, etc. I would say my fishing time is split 50/50 between a canoe and the boat. Fishing from a canoe is usually part of a multi-day trip though. You won't see me trolling on Mississippi lake from my canoe.
ASK
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by ASK »

Hi joco,

I don't have Canoe and Kayak, but I'm planning to start fishing by them this year.
If any advice for which modle is good for fishing I hope to have it.

ASK
joco
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by joco »

kayakmike that exacly was i said just a post or two before yours...there will be one or two get together this year for none gas motorize kayak/canoes or even pontoon and float tube or pool floathing chair..hahaha anything that as no gas off any kind.

just a pure soundless gasless..outhing...not a derby just a little getogether for the fun off it.

we see many people have there thing wit boat we could have are own thing .

more to come on this.i got a fe place where we can go..and see not many boat but close to all.to go...thosenot have to be on a big water..constance lake sound good. for that type off outhing..rideau is cool..but to many boats...or any other ideal for the location.

as to have a nice place to get and out off the kayak and anught flat place for a good amount off people to mabe have a little BBQ or something...those have to be on a nice day.taugh.

but again there so many people that fish frome canoes on little lakes and now more into kayaks and people fishig out off floatube or pontonns in little river and smaller lake.

joco.
fiiish
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by fiiish »

Not sure if it counts... I have an inflatable can-yak or kay-noe :wink:
Doesn't weigh much, easy to setup and it's stored in my closet! lol :lol:
saskie
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by saskie »

2 canoes: one at my cabin (17' alum) and one at the in-laws (12' square stern alum).

They have their advanatges...the little 12' weighs a whopping 48lbs and has a little hand-trailer so it can get just about anywhere I can walk. Plus it has foam insulation which seems to dampen any noise you make from propogating into the water cuz I've always had my best days trouting in that little canoe (there's a 12' tinny stashed at my fav trout lake, sometimes I "borrow" it, but I always do better in the canoe.)
Last edited by saskie on Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There are few problems in life which can not be solved with a well-placed, high-explosive projectile.