Ice Auger Questions?

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
fiiish
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by fiiish »

Well, after researching and taking a lot of people's suggestions into consideration, I finally went out and picked myself up a 6" Normark Fin-Bore III. Thought about getting the 8" instead but I think a 6" will be good for starters. :wink:
I haven't actually used it yet so I don't have any feedback on it, but I am pretty excited to get out and drill some holes. Hopefully the offset handles are easy to get used to.

A BIG THANKS to everyone for their input! :D Happy ice fishing!
fiiish
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by fiiish »

Prepare yourselves for a newbie question right here :lol:...

Out of curiosity, is it possible to use a 6" hole as a "pilot" hole for an 8" auger?
Doug
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Doug »

fiiish wrote:Prepare yourselves for a newbie question right here :lol:...

Out of curiosity, is it possible to use a 6" hole as a "pilot" hole for an 8" auger?
With "MOST" manual augers, that will dull your blades as fast as anything, same for cutting out an old hole, or WORST SIN OF ALL banging the blades down on the ice to get started.

a gas auger happily cuts anywhere, including "pilot holes."

HTH
fishin mission
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by fishin mission »

lots of good things said in this post..... that being said i have owned a 6" one piece auger for more than 20 yrs and never saw the need to buy a power auger for me it's all about portability.I change my blades once every 2 years and like someone said very critical you NOT bang the blades anytime weather you have your cover for the blades on once you throw off the angle of the blades you might as well throw the auger in the garbage. I usually find myself giggling when i see guys with a power auger and there cranking on the cord like there having a seizure lol by the time they get the auger going and warmed up enough to cut hole i can drill 2 or 3 holes with my 6". as far as sharpening the blades not a chance i just buy new ones worth every penny. If you see a hole that's frozen over and go try cutting the same hole you will run into problems with a hand auger will get dull,run the risk of twisting the shaft, from excess force,and you will drill one hole and be too tired to drill another lol. Fiiish good choice on the 6" easier to cut a hole alone.... an 8" is for 2,,,,,,,, like a bicycle for 2 lol Good luck and good fishing and happy new year!
Big Jim
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

auger holes

Post by Big Jim »

Hey Guy's, I spent several days with Randy Havel who owns STRIKE MASTER and he told me the only holes augers are ment to cut...are new ones. :D
One of the biggest reasons for failure is cutting through old holes and leaving augers standing in partially cut holes...and of course the ever obvious that has already been mentioned here...don't bang them on the ice to get ice of the blades or to start a hole...

Enjoy

BIG JIM