trusted brands to buy fishing rods and reels from

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Jimmy_1 »

Rods; G LOOMIS!!!! ALL THE WAY!

Reels: Shimano, Pflueger and Quantum.
WallyPro
Participant
Participant

Post by WallyPro »

Shimano reels... seem to last.

Had some Quantum reels fail way, way too soon.

Daiwa has some nice rods, UGLYSTIKs are the worst!

Okuma rods are fragile... seen alot of broken ones.

Don't buy anything from the guy in Port Hope!!
HEX
Participant
Participant

Post by HEX »

Whatever you choose, try to buy the best quality that you can
afford without bringing hardship to yourself or family.

When I was a young man ca.1970, I purchased DAM Quick spinning reels (110, 220 & 330) which, along with the Cardinal (Abu) reels, were the finest of their era. My baitcasting
reel was an Ambassadeur 6000 which came in a leather case w/
oil and spare parts.

Over the course of a few years, I matched these reels up with Browning Silaflex rods - also amongst the finest glass rods of their day. Graphite or composite rods were not even on the horizon then.

Although I have updated some of my fishing equipment, it still gives me pleasure to roll out my DAM reels and Browning rods and use them today. I have used them all over Canada and can honestly say that never have I had a problem with them. They still look like new.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, buy the best you can afford and
provide regular maintenance to your equipment. In the long run,
you will be rewarded as I have been.
gonefishin
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by gonefishin »

I like shimano as well but have found the abu rod's to be a nice choice as well.
Pike Puncher
Participant
Participant

Post by Pike Puncher »

I'm a huge Shimano fan, especially my Stradics, Cardiffs, and Compre Pitchin' rods. I just got into Abu Revo baitcasters last year and now I own 5 of them. I've got two beutiful new Fenwick rods I'm just itching to try out this year.

It's crucial to make the commitment and buy good gear. I've tried skimping in the past and it only leads to frustration. The more you fish, the more important having quality gear makes. I'm very particular, and I've taken the time to learn what the best buy is dollar for dollar. I'm sure the other members and retail partners can say the same.

Billy
|D4|
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by |D4| »

I like the shakespear rods and shimano reels. I also love the light fluger real on a ice jigging pole.
Tip-up
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Tip-up »

Shimano and St.Croix make a mean rod. Really like some of Fenwicks discontinued models too.

I have been eyeing a few of the new Mojo Bass rods from St.Croix for the rod specs. The feel of it is like no other..price ain't all that bad either :)

Shimano reels can't be beat IMO. Diawa, Abu and Quantum make a solid reel as well but would not be my first choice.
sparky
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: Shimano???

Post by sparky »

scarface wrote:Why is every one for shimano? There are others? :o
Shimano quality is excellent, but not for everyone. If you wade or fish from a kayak, you're likely to dunk your reel from time to time. Higher-end Shimano spinning reels seize up when they get wet inside, and won't work again until they're dry. I've never had this problem with Mitchell, Abu or Daiwa reels, so I keep my Shimanos for occasions when I'm pretty sure they won't get wet.
I don't like Shimano rods all that much. I find Fenwicks are more sensitive and cast better, dollar for dollar.
bruinz19
Participant
Participant

Post by bruinz19 »

Wallypro, usinga new Uglystick this season, curious as to why you claim them to be the worst.
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Jimmy_1 »

bruinz19 wrote:Wallypro, usinga new Uglystick this season, curious as to why you claim them to be the worst.
I find the uglystick is AMAZING for chucking zara spooks. The floppyness of the rod makes it great for that "twitch".

I personally don't like them for jigging. I find the action waaaaay to slow.

Apart from that, myself I do not see an issue.
steve-hamilton
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by steve-hamilton »

i own rods and reels from:

G Loomis
St Croix
Quantum
Abu Garcia
Okuma
Daiwa
Pfleuger

and

Shimano.

They all have their plus's and minus's. HOWEVER, Shimano takes care of their customers the best.
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Jimmy_1 »

Question is, what do you want to spend?
Carmine13
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Carmine13 »

money doesnt matter if its going to be good i will pay but personally i love shimano probably because i havent tried anything else so im looking for feed back because i want to try something else
steve-hamilton
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by steve-hamilton »

its tough to find a reel better than the curado and tough to find a rod better than the crucial.

if your looking for better, with an EQUAL or better warranty (over the counter - no shipping involved) you'll be hard pressed.
Carmine13
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Carmine13 »

yeah i have the curado and i love it
how about abu garcia anyone like thier stuff