Mississippi report ...the sequel!

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
eye-tracker
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: Mississippi report ...the sequel!

Post by eye-tracker »

devy wrote:Anyway, around noon hour, pulled up a nice 22 inch walleye..man did she fight in the waves... within 15 minutes caught another 20 incher, and an 18.
Devy are you catching the eyes in the West or East end of the lake? I find the spring pattern this year is very strange...with the water warming almost 18 degrres in 7 days :D .

Glad you got some nice walleye on your sequel outing :D
Sheldon Hatch
Just a guy that likes to fish walleye
slop
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by slop »

CCB,

Keep in mind that my post was just my opinion and not to be perceived as a"hard and fast rule". I was merely trying to communicate the fact that larger, deeper lakes will produce big pike(20#+) with more regularity than shallow, smaller lakes. Every lake is different with regards to geography, forage base, fishing pressure(Saskie) etc. In my opinion CCB's 'smaller' pike lake near Kingston is an exception to the rule(did i say rule?) :lol:

Slop.
If Winnipeg gets a hockey team, Toronto will want one too.....
devy
Participant
Participant

Early season

Post by devy »

Ya eye-tracker, the early season fishing seems to be a little odd this year (even though it was just my second time). I had tried my regular spring "haunts" particularly where the river enters, but nyada. Also fished grasshopper both days with limited success. Caught most of the fish in mid-lake shoals in big lake...regularly summer spots. (decide to give it a go,e specially with south wind chop.) Have really noticed over the past couple of years the inpact of the zebra mussels...pulled some more of the little devils off rocks this week. Probably will have somewhat of an effect on the walleyes feeding as they did on Quinte I suppose, become more weed orientated, low light feeding, chop water. I remember up to a couple of years ago being able to go out at noon hour and catching a limit of walleyes.. the water was full of suspension and I noticed last year that the suspension was less. Mind you the more light penetration will create more weed growth.
anyway, looking forward to going out again when I have some free time...perhaps next week 8)
Looking forward to the great small bass fishing on the lake once it opens. There are some nice ones there!!!
eye-tracker
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by eye-tracker »

Devy...
Same here all of my fish are coming off of summer locations in the Big Lake. I have also noticed the lake water is slowly getting clearer each year.
Sheldon Hatch
Just a guy that likes to fish walleye
kingston-Mike
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: Mississippi report ...the sequel!

Post by kingston-Mike »

devy wrote: All fish were caught on mid-lake humps with berkly gulp bait(first time I have used it.
I just recieved a sample package of Gulp baits this morning from having filled out an online survey a while back. The minnow grub is supposed to be great for Pike...would that be what you used?
CNs
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by CNs »

slop wrote:Hey folks,

To grow large pike you need deep water(over 50') and like Firefox mentioned, soft finned forage. Mesotrophic and eutrophic lakes are more fertile but lack the components to constitute a trophy gator fishery.

Slop.
OHHH MANNNN tell me you did not use Mesotrophic and eutrophic

on this board!!!!!!

There must be a rule ???

(this was meant as humour, use any terms you want :oops: :oops: :lol: :lol: )
Last edited by CNs on Tue May 18, 2004 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
slop
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by slop »

I'm in the dark on this one, are we not allowed to mention types of lakes?

Feel free to explain openly or send me a pm if this will be too :oops:

Slop.
If Winnipeg gets a hockey team, Toronto will want one too.....
devy
Participant
Participant

gulp!!

Post by devy »

Yes, for me that day, that was the ticket. Gulp minnow in chartreuse colour(tried the hot red colour). used with 1/8 on/1/4 ounce jig head.

Other baits do work well, such as crank baits and just twister tails tipped with a little worm.
grumpy7790
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Over Population

Post by grumpy7790 »

So is there an over population of Pike in the Mississippi? Are the Pike stunted by the lack of the food chain to support the large Pike population?

My experiences in catching 10+lb Pike is that they do relate to a deep water (20'-30') escape. Weed beds is 10'-15' range that run a ledge to a 30' basin are where I have bagged my biggest Pike. The large 8'-10' weed flats usually produce the Pike in < 5lb range.

G