Eastern ON Backroad Mapbook

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
trexellunge
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by trexellunge »

Hi Seaweed. I agree with you about the "overall product" being a little flawed. I said the same thing in an earlier post on this subject. Some of the fishing info in the books seems to be second hand, (especially on some of the larger lakes), instead of talking from actual fishing experience on a particular lake. The experience they do have on given lakes seems to be mostly bass fishing from a canoe (especially flyfishing). I would still recommend all their books though, because the rough lake map info is priceless. You can spend hours going over the all the different lakes, and it can really get your juices flowing. And don't forget about all the neat backroads and portages they show too.
saskie
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by saskie »

For me it's been an excellent starting point - I'll find a body of water listed in it that sounds interesting and then I ask around about it.
sparky
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by sparky »

I've got the E Ont Backroads book, I use it and like it. For such a comprehensive document, it's fairly accurate. I find they're kind of vague about how good the fishing is. They'll say it "can be" good, or is good "at times," like they're afraid to recommend anything too heartily in case they're wrong. Also, the lists of species can be incomplete. They'll say a lake has bass and pike, when in fact it also has lots of walleyes. It's worth having though. The binding and cover are a little flimsy for life in the car, though. I covered mine with an acrylic file-folder cover and reinforced the binding with twine and duct tape. It holds together a lot better that way.
kingston-Mike
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by kingston-Mike »

I've been given a copy of the E Ont Backroads Mapbook, though it's a 2001 printing, I've found it to be a terrific tool. I'm fairly new to Eastern Ontario and it's really helped get around to explore many lakes and rivers. I study it with the guidelines within that division prior to leaving home and often on the side of the road.
saskie
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

IS this the one?

Post by saskie »

I think I remember the post you're talking about, and I don't think this is it. Just in case...
Todd B.
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Todd B. »

Another good resource is the Pembroke District Map put out by the MNR. It shows all of the recreational trails, land tenure, water access points and fish species for a significant number of the lakes and streams.

I found a copy at the Mountain Equipment Co-Op, though you can order it online at:
http://www.backroadmapbooks.com/index-m ... ookId=pemb

Cheers,
Todd