Who is Interested---ICE DERBY for CHARITY

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Badger Shark
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Badger Shark »

I still have all the paperwork and guidlines from last year and the registration forms. Bobber, JP, and I discussed this at the last get together and agreed that if we did one this year we would do some things differently and like Bobber said try to get some major sponsors to try and get some nice large prizes.

So why dont we try to get together soon and discuss this further in person. If you want to do this and are intersted then post it here and we can pick an evening and whoever wants to volunteer, show up. I personally pick Broadway central location since it worked out well for a location last year and they are very accomadating.

I will check back later and if this works I will arrange with them to have an area set aside for us on the day we decide to meet.

I think either CHEO or CNIB would be a good pic.
Wallyboss
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wallyboss »

Not that I have anything against those Charities, but maybe some less know charities could benefit more.
baz fish
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by baz fish »

Sounds like a plan. Im interested in that derby and maybe I could tell my boss to be a big sponsor as I work for a renowned company in the area. And I could ask my foreman for some sponsorship as he had is own company also.
JP
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by JP »

Thanks for all the replys people keep them coming.
Cheers
JP
tinbanger
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by tinbanger »

count me in for some donations again this year , nothing major but could arrange for 10-20 seperate smaller gifts ( $10-20 dollar value) and one or two at $200 value) .also can arrange for coffee service if needed.
tinbanger
JP
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by JP »

Ok great to see everyone interested and already have had some calls for good size gifts to be donated.
First meeting Wed. December 19 at the Broadway on Fisher and Prince of Whales. Badger can you set this up again?
Who ever wants to help show up at 7pm.
Thanks
JP
Andy_L
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Andy_L »

I'm willing to help as well....depending on the timing. I'm already committed as a volunteer one day every weekend for a chunk of the winter, but if i can, i will :)

Andy
Badger Shark
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Badger Shark »

Jp, maybe a Monday or Thursday this year. I work till ten on Tues, and Weds. Last year I had to take off work in order to be at the meetings and this year I cant afford to do that. Is this ok?
JP
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by JP »

Thursday is good.
JP
Andy_L
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Andy_L »

hey guys? which Broadways is it you're talking about??
Badger Shark
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Badger Shark »

Prince of Wales and Fisher.
Andy_L
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Andy_L »

excellent....thank you sir :)
Badger Shark
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Badger Shark »

So is Thursday Dec.20 when we want to get going on this or should we maybe make it next Thursday? Im thinking the earlier the better.
Bronze Participant

tournament

Post by karma »

I noticed that there was a few suggestions to raise money for the CNIB. May I suggest that if you guys want to do something to assist people with sight disabilities living in the area, you consider funding the Mira Guide Dog Foundation.

Mira is the oldest guide ddog school in Canada and where I have been going to get my guide dogs for the past 12 years. There are now about six people I know here in Ottawa who are all using Mira guide dogs at present. Each guide dog takes $30k to train. I know there is another guide dog school just outside Ottawa, but for whatever reason there are six of us here who have decided to get their dogs from Mira, which is located in Quebec.

There are over 10 guide dog schools across Canada and all operate independently of each other. The CNIB has nothing to do with any of them. There are also quite a number of schools in the US, and I know a number of people here in Ottawa who go to the US to get their dogs -- usually to the school in California and usually in the winter -LOL.

I'm not going to compare one school with another, but I think since at least six blind people living here in Ottawa have gone to Mira to get their dogs, Mira deserves some local support. I raised money for them last
April at the Carp show and thank everyone for donating. I also participate in their car race for the blind in June, which involves about 30 drivers with no sight paired with sighted co-pilots. It's the first car to make it around the track 10 times. I've finished 4th once, 3rd twice, 2nd once, and 1st once. Cars cost $2,000 to sponsor.

If we could raise $2K, we could sponsor an entire car. If we were to sponsor a car for the race, we would also get some local media coverage of our car in the race. If we got some local media coverage, the Mira Guide dog Foundation would then become better known up here in Ottawa which would hopefully benefit Mira with more local donations.

I guess what I'm saying is that raising a couple thousand to sponsor a car to entre in the next Mira car race , with maybe me driving again, would help Mira raise money here locally in future so that more of us could go there and get their fantastic guide dogs without feeling bad about the fact that most people here in Ottawa don't know anything about Mira.

Just an idea.
Lawrence
Last edited by karma on Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wallyboss
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wallyboss »

Just what I meant when I said less known Charities!!!!!! I think that funds accumulated at an Ice Fishing Derby won't in the millions, so a big charity like CNIB won't really miss a smaller check, but a smaller charity can get lot's done with a smaller check. Just my 2cents!!