tournaments sponsors

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
tritonmagnum
Participant
Participant

Post by tritonmagnum »

thanks to all of you especially you MCQ and JP who i pm'd for all of that great information, took wquite a chunk out of the homework time but was well worth the read and you have all pointed me in the right direction and for now im going to leave that stuff to my dad im jsut gunna go fishing, got my g2 and heading down to fish rainbows at the river mouths of lake O this weekend, and next, and probably the next after that, then its walleye for me
happy fishing
TM
eye-tracker
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by eye-tracker »

The information outlined by McQ will get you thinking about the business and the environment you are looking to enter.

My advice or recommendation would be joining a professional angling association like the PAA and get advice and support from the best in the industry.

With your age advantage a College or University Degree in business would also help with negotiating contracts and the business savvy needed to succeed in a very dynamic industry.

Good luck...

-sheldon
Sheldon Hatch
Just a guy that likes to fish walleye
grumpy7790
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Sponsors

Post by grumpy7790 »

I'll always remember a speech at one of my graduations, it was given by a Kennedy and summed it up quickly.

"to be successful it's not about who you know............it's all about whom you know"

TM, at your young age, you need to start meeting and talking to people. You will eventual develop relationships with people who can open up doors for you. Without these contacts, these doors or opportunities would never ever be available. People like Big Jim and even JP are great places to start.

In the long run, as a "Pro", oh yeah you better be able to catch fish, be willing travel 200+ days a year, make 150 sponsor appearances, and have access to six figures for expenses each year.

If your talking about being a "Local Tournament" guy with great stats, then keep your day job and don't expect much from sponsorship. You'll make a whole lot more money obtaining your MBA as ET mentioned.

G
tritonmagnum
Participant
Participant

Post by tritonmagnum »

grumpy...im sorry but i do beleive that is all you are..telling me to keep my day job? i didnt ask to step on your professional turf..i never said i wanted to be a professional fisherman i said i wanted some small name sponsors to help pay for a small portion of tournaments or discount me some baits i dont wanta "6 figure" sponsorship remember im 16 bud and if i wanted to get kicked off this site id have alot more to say to you...thanks so much to everyone else though
JustinHoffman
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by JustinHoffman »

Hello All,

Thought I'd outline a few thoughts, as I'm also in the sponsorship boat. First, I believe the days of tournament anglers getting everything thrown at them are few and far between. It's not good enough to just place well in tournaments, but moreso, to be a well-rounded spokesman for these companies. Sponsorship is merely a means for a variety of companies (boats, tackle, vehicles etc.) to sell more product. That's the bottom line. So, in an angler, they are looking for a salesman/spokesman that is able to bring in that revenue they desire.
I don't fish any tournments now, although I did some 15 years ago. I currently have a few sponsors, based solely on something other than tournament skill or finishes. (You don't need to finish at the top to get sponsors, although it does help. However, if your "other" skills are proficient enough, you just may do better than the guy cashing cheques each week..) Here is my rationale - you must think outside the box. For instance, I am a Field Editor with Ontario Out of Doors magazine. Each issue is read by 90,000 anglers. Now tell me that's not positive advertising. To have a product mentioned in the mag or a shirt or lure on the front cover can have much more of a positive effect for a company than standing on the podium at a tourney, watched by 10 dozen people. Now, I'm not saying that everyone can go write for one of the provincial or national magazines, but there are other ways to excel at this task. Start small. Produce great reports on websites such as this. Show your prospective sponsor that number of page views your reports receive. Try you hand at local newsletters or club magazines. Move on to bigger and better things if you have the passion.
Another aspect of making your sponsor happy is learning how to take excellent photographs. I send my sponsors a CD at the end of the year showcasing my season. I have had these images used as advertisments and catalouge work for all of my sponsorship deals. Nothing makes a sponsor happier than knowing you are truly "working" for the company. Get a decent camera and learn to use it properly. This will go a long way in terms of satisfying your sponsor, as well as impressing the buying public.
I guess my point of all of this is - learn to make things happen for yourself in this game. Realistically, tournament anglers are a dime a dozen. But, tourney or non-tourney guys that can sell product by writing, photography, trade shows, and being an all-around people person, will be ultimately the guy that gets the nod. The more you can do for a company, the more respect and monetary committments that will come your way.
Another point to make - don't expect free boats, rods and reels or huge contracts. These are only given to folk that have proven themselves, and this certainly won't happen right away. It will definitely take time. Don't be surprised if you are given free tackle to use, or a reduced cost to buy said tackle, some shirts or hats and decals. This is the usual path to start off with. Like I said, many companies are gun-shy when it comes to giving anglers the farm, so be prepared to start off very small.
But never quit your day job. Very few in this province can make a decent living from fishing alone. But you can supplement your income if you play your cards right, and go in with a clear-cut gameplan.
Remember - it's what you can do for them that will open the doors for you.

Good Fishing,
Justin
Justin Hoffman
Field Editor - Ontario Out of Doors Magazine
Fishing Writer / Wildlife Photographer
www.JustinHoffmanOutdoors.com
grumpy7790
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Sponsorship

Post by grumpy7790 »

Justin, nicely summed up, that's why your the writer!

TM, I'm sorry you took my message the wrong way. I was just trying to address the differences between true Pro sponsorships and someone who might get discounted baits or equipment.

I've once talked at length with Dave Wolak a BASS Elite pro who has made it to the top on this same issue. His advise to me, as a local tournament angler, was that the time and effort was not to worth it.

G
kunobasski
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Time and effort

Post by kunobasski »

Thats something I agree on. To have a sponsor discount you 25 or maybe 50% is a nice deal, but what do you have to do in exchange? is it worth the trouble? Working a 10 hour day to save 4 bucks?

In an earlier post I mentioned about straight cash deals where as you structure an agreement with a sponsor to have them use your abilities at thier disposal for promotional needs. Like taking thier customers fishing, or having your angling abilities become a prize for a sales contest and the winner gets a days fishing.

This year one of our contracts is putting us up as a prize for a charity auction. We have proven ourselves with his customers and got great feed back, because of this, he has increased our usage 10 fold this year.....of course the price goes up....but that pays the tourney expenses all the better. Secondly, in situtaions like this, many times the sponsor does not even care if we promote his business at bass tournament, he just uses our results and image to sweeten the pot and hype up his clients before we take them out. It adds value to his generosity and pleases his customers, and in turn it puts cash in out bank account to pay the bills.

Everybody seems to think that to be sponsored you have to be a patch wearing, walking talking fishing billboard. The idea, as you said was to get some help paying the expenses. There is no better way then to promote your skills and experience to a big company and get paid to take thier customers fishing....And its fun as hell, you meet some real interesting characters. Which usually leads to them inquiring about your services.

No one says you have to stay within this very tight and at times cut throat industry....some of the best opportunities are un touched, unrelated indusries, just waiting for you to hand them a promo package...

I hope you get a ton....ASK FOR CASH!!! Up front...50% at the start 50% at the end of the season....

TKuno
GetTheNet!!!
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by GetTheNet!!! »

Hey guys, these last couple posts reminded me of something I'd read a while ago so I went and looked it up, Shaw Grigsby Jr. (If you're interested in bass fishing you know who he is) put out a book a little while back titled 'Notes on Fishing and life' I suggest you guys read it, it's a little preachy at times but its a fun read. More to the point here's the chunk that appertains to this thread:

Shaw or your lawyers, please don't sue me for reproducing a chunk of your book...

Notes on Fishing and Life
Pg. 93

There are three ways to make a living as a professional bass angler. First you can be a phenomenal angler and win a lot of tournaments.

Second, you can be a very good promoter of fishing-related products. If you are a great salesman and can promote a sponsor's products well enough to make an impact on his bottom line, you don't have to be a good fishermen. In fact, you can be a mediocre fishermen if you are a great promoter.

Third, you can combine these two, which is what many anglers do. We are good fishermen and good salesmen.

Today if you want sponsors you have to be relatively young, relatively handsome, relatively articulate, and very quick on your feet. You have to look good and sound good. You have to like being in front of a crowd.
Most of all you have to be able to move product.

The biggest misconception I see today among professional anglers is that they think that if they are good fishermen, they should be paid for every product they use. "Show me the money," they say to potential sponsors. They don't understand that being a good fishermen is not enough. There are many good fishermen that can't move product.

When I approached my first sponsor, I worked the first year free. "Let me show you what I can do for you," I said. "Let me work for you for a year and then we'll talk money."

It worked fine. The more I produced for him, the more he produced for me.

The only reason an angler should be paid by a sponsor is if he is making money for the sponsor.

Catching fish is only part of being a professional fishermen. And catching fish is not enough. Not today.

End quote

It's a great book, and hey, if Shaw sells enough of them because of me here, maybe HE'LL sponsor ME! :lol: :lol:
marc Thorpe
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by marc Thorpe »

TM,there's sound advice in all posted

My advice,the most important one
Be Yourself and let whats naturally born to be develop
The best tool you possess to offer is your Genuiness

these 2 elements are what seperates Bob Izumi,Big Jim and many others like them apart from others
kunobasski
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by kunobasski »

This is a quote from Mike Desforges, one of Canada's leading money winners, if not the leader.

It was borrowed from the CFT web site, and is a sample from an interview Mike Desforges gave to to the Canadian Fishing Tours Interview Staff.

The CFT Interviewer:
6) How do you promote yourself as a Pro angler and what do you recommend to some newer anglers in the tournament scene?

Mike Desforges Answers:

"The best way I promote myself and my sponsors is by doing well at tournaments. I wasn't born with the gift to gab so although I don't talk the talk, I do walk the walk. By doing well in the tournaments, it gives credibility to the products I represent. It also allows me to get exposure for me and my sponsors in the different types of media. Therefore my advice to new anglers would be to focus on catching fish at the beginning and pay your dues. Once you have the confidence that you can do well against the best, fish where you will get the most exposure for your success and get noticed!"

Seems pretty cut and dry.....maybe results do matter.....if you have em that is......

Sorry JP.....
mikemicropterus
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

big jm

Post by mikemicropterus »

:D Cory sorry for your misreading problem but I said,

" Bob Izumi does no have to win to get people to listen to him and neither does Big Jim."

Obviously if you know his history which I do, as I have competed against Big Jim, the point is, obviously you missed it, he does not have to win or do tournaments to get peolpe to listen to him, he has paid his dues. I have even shared the podium with him and taken half the money he thought he was going to win. But my name is not household YET......

SOON ALL THE WORLD WILL BOW AND PRIASE THE

MIKEMICROPTERUS
Tip-up
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Tip-up »

TM, send me a PM...

Should be able to help you out :D
dana
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by dana »

JP
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by JP »

Thanks kunobasski
always nice to hear from you :roll:
JP
furious
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by furious »

16 years old and you own that boat? It sounds like you should be giving us financial advice, not us giving you tips on how to get some free bags of worms and gas money. :roll:

Seriously though, I have had sponsorships that have paid entry fee's, expenses and incidentals. It's great and necessary when you are on the road fishing all over the place. It is somewhat harder though if you are only fishing one region. Take the Quinte Fishing Series for example, there are literally dozens of very talented, local, anglers who could easily fish at a much higher level like the Super Series for example. It is going to be harder for them to gain "money" sponsors however when they are only exposed to the same locale over and over again. There is a lot to be said for spreading your wings.

For any kind of smaller deals, try buying all your gas at one place, pick one that has a Self Serve Car Wash you can wash your boat and truck at. Buy your drinks and snacks in their gas bar. Build a rapport with the employee's and owners alike. If you are confident enough in your fishing ability, take them out for a day of fishing and if they want to keep a couple for the frying pan let them. Explain to them how their business is the only one you frequent, and why. Also explain the costs involved in fishing tournaments and how you could help with their local exposure.

It works, I've seen it happen. Try it and let us know how it works. Once you have a little confidence in it, apply it to your local bait shop next. Before you know you'll have bags of worms and cheap gas. :lol: