Message boards...

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
McQ
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by McQ »

Joco, I'm with you - planning a Sunday on McLaren Bay - are you up for it.
FLOATFISHIN
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by FLOATFISHIN »

jale6666 wrote:BBR,

Are you sure carbon is the best metal to use in those gaffs??? I'm sure there is a study somewhere on this planet that states that stainless steel would ensure a better survival rate. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Tom, So you are saying you don't want a Magnus net???

Joe
Joe,

BWWAAAAAAAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Thanks for making my day bro!!!!!!!!!!! And my keyboard thanks you for the pepsi all over it, and my nose thanks you for being the route the pepsi took to the keyboard :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

The sore nose, yet pondering the gaff situation,

Float.
MichaelVandenberg
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by MichaelVandenberg »

No opinion stated here but just an observation:

CCB wrote:
The reason I posted that I don't own a net was to show that I have no bias towards any one manufacturer's products. I readily admit knowing nothing about the Magnus product other than what the web site shows. To say that my comment that I don't own a net is saying that I'm the ultimate conservationist is a stretch. I simply don't like netting fish. If a fish comes unstuck boatside, that's fine with me- I would be releasing it anyway.

Why not simply state that you are not bias to a specfic manufacture instead of simply stating you don't use nets in the aims of trying to state you are not bias to any manufacture.

Another example of how you should state you point directly instead of being vague. If this was done, this probably could have been avoided.

Anyways, I enjoyed this posting.

Cheers,

Mike
Kpin
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Kpin »

There are some very valid points, pointed out in this thread. Online etiquette is really no different from any other. Would you rudely interupt someone just to state something that really didn't apply to the convo to begin with? No. Such is the case here. I mean no offence CCB but it was a faux pas on your part.

We are all aware of your views regarding conservation. I think Joco hit the nail on the head with the point he made.
Everytime we hook a fish there's a chance it will perish, so if one is so conservation minded, go scuba diving and take pics. If one is so concerned about mortality rates of fish, they really shouldn't be snagging a sharp hook into them.

Thats MY 2 cents, the real bottom line here is that we respect each other and others opinions, without preaching, looking down on someone or disrespecting them.
Wallyboss
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wallyboss »

To net or not to net???? I prefer not to net because i'd need a really big Ice Auger.

Every one of god's animals or fishes belong in a special place.

In my plate right beside the mashed potatoes.
When hell freezes over, I'll be there icefishing!!!

If you can't stand behind our troops,
Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

Experience is that marvellous thing that enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again
ady
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by ady »

I think I have to agree with CCB, you spell heresay "HEARSAY" .

As for the net thing, you have to applaud innovation in our sport but you also have to take constructive criticism from those who have experience in the field. I use a rubber net with wide gape frame for general use and a frabil big game for the bug stuff. Can't think why I would need another.

Keep it nice guys, we don't want to loose anyone else.
FLOATFISHIN
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by FLOATFISHIN »

Wallyboss wrote:To net or not to net???? I prefer not to net because i'd need a really big Ice Auger.

Dan,

AHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAAHHAHAHAHA

F.F
JustinHoffman
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by JustinHoffman »

Hey Ady,

I think big is spelt BIG, not bug....

'and a frabil big game for the bug stuff'

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Not to be picky or anything.. :?

Good Fishing,
Justin
Iceman
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Iceman »

Wallyboss wrote:To net or not to net???? I prefer not to net because i'd need a really big Ice Auger.

I strongly disagree with this statement the special place should be next to fries. :twisted:
Well and truly hooked!
Fishhawk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Fishhawk »

Kpin wrote:There are some very valid points, pointed out in this thread. Online etiquette is really no different from any other. Would you rudely interupt someone just to state something that really didn't apply to the convo to begin with? No. Such is the case here. I mean no offence CCB but it was a faux pas on your part.
I appreciate the concept but let's face it, staying on topic is something Hawk Talk is not known for. Even this thread has digressed to a certain extent and to be honest, I think it is the digressions that often (not always) add value to a discussion.

It can be pretty difficult to judge when a digression is way out there and not welcome in a thread. To give CCB credit, I believe he realized that when he started this thread. It ultimately leaves the net buyers to focus on net buying in the net-buying thread.

Message Boards! The application and enforcement of firm rules is a challenge to say the least. I've said it before and I say it again - why hasn't someone written a book on message board dynamics?

Because it is too daunting a task! :lol:
Fishhawk
"gotta run like a madman bye thanks see ya good luck"
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

The Magnus net thread is an ideal example of the primary problem with internet message boards.
For once I could not agree with you more CCB....not for the same reason as you though....

I echo Justin's points as well as they are bang on....

What boggles my mind is the thought process...

"Oh my...a thread about nets for sale....let's check it out....oh oh....they aren't rubber nets!...they aren't rubber nets!....Sound the Fish Saving alarm!....I have to notify the company about this problem!....I have to tell the guys not to buy em!....Oh the fish carnage!....I have to do something about this!....Aaaahhhhhhhhhhhh!"

I know you do not understand how people see it as preaching....but I can tell you first hand...your message is failing....people will do what they will do....no matter what you do or so say....I actually think the message backfires as well......net sales actually almost doubled after your post!

In Big Jim's article praising FH.net as a great place for him and all others who love angling to hang out.....he talked of no pecking order being in place....just a great bunch of folk talking fishing....folks who come off as an authority in their mind simply get this... :roll: ..over and over again.....something to keep in mind....

Justin talked about tact.....here's how your message could have been put out without causing a crapstorm...

"Hey Jale, Do they make a rubber net in this model?...I'd look into getting one if they did....I'm not a fan of nylon nets for a few reasons"

Just an observation...

RJ
BBRich
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by BBRich »

folks who come off as an authority in their mind simply get this... :roll: ..over and over again.....something to keep in mind....
Unless of course they have been dubbed the FOREMOST authority. :lol: Sorry, I had to.
Cancatchbass
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Hmmmm...

Post by Cancatchbass »

Gee, RJ, you seem to be getting pretty excited. :shock:

How about this thought process:

Hmmm, a thread about nets. Check it out.

(Now keep in mind I checked out the thread about ling fishing although I have no intention of going ling fishing- no law against that, that I'm aware of).

Next- Hmmmm... looks like these nets might not have knotless mesh. I wonder if the guys are aware it's available and that it's more fish-friendly? I'll post and see.

Oops! A smart-a** reply! :shock: What's this about? Just trying to show an alternative netting!! I'm not making this up. Do a quick google search and sure enough the In-Fisherman boys have an article on their site. I'll post a link to it, so that the guys can check it out. I'll add "Just something to keep in mind" so they can see, hopefully, I'm just trying to provide some info.

Next- Steve asks about large knotless-meshed nets.

I respond with a link, and wonder out loud if the Picton guy could make knotless mesh nets. Everything seems cool at this point- relatively.

Then TM advises which net he uses for muskie fishing and gets a sarcastic reply.

All this leads me to believe, rightfully it has been shown, that most anglers really could care less about a few extra fish not making it after being released. Too bad. I decide I've had enough of the thread- no-one's going to listen, anyway.

Checking the thread later, I find a whole host of sarcastic and nasty comments directed my way- lead by RJ. Surprise, surprise. It's not the first time.

One purpose of a message board - one very important purpose - is the sharing of information. Unfortunately, it seems that if the information is something some readers don't want to hear, they get defensive and sometimes nasty.

I've been fishing for longer than most Hawk-Talkers have been alive, and have a respect for the fisheries we have. I do not claim to be an authority on ANYTHING, fishing or otherwise. I DO NOT begrudge others who enjoy a meal of bass or walleye or whatever. I AM NOT a fanatic catch-and-release supporter but rather I believe in selective harvest. I keep eating size fish for the table- mainly crappie and perch.

What I DO BELIEVE, and you'll have a hard time shutting me up on this one, is that fish that are to be released should be handled in the best possible manner. If that means spending a few extra dollars on the best equipment available- net, pliers, side-cutters, whatever- or taking a few extra seconds to carefully remove a hook instead of tearing it out, I believe it's worth it.

If this type of post is viewed as preaching, so be it. Last I heard, preaching was an honourable profession. :wink:

CCB
ady
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by ady »

JustinHoffman wrote:Hey Ady,

I think big is spelt BIG, not bug....

'and a frabil big game for the bug stuff'

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Not to be picky or anything.. :?

Good Fishing,
Justin
Damn your good :oops: :oops: - just troying to liten tings up :D
jazman
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by jazman »

I gotta ask - are all of your hooks barbless?