Minnow Traps

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Woodsman
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Woodsman »

Just pulled my trap. Tried rye bread instead of white. :roll: About 1/4 the minnows. Will try croutons and the dough ball recipe in hopes of better results.

Go figure - I like rye why not minnows? :wink:
Moosebunk
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Moosebunk »

Woodsman wrote:Just pulled my trap. Tried rye bread instead of white. :roll: About 1/4 the minnows. Will try croutons and the dough ball recipe in hopes of better results.

Go figure - I like rye why not minnows? :wink:
I already knew that. Tried it myself. hahahaha. :P

I like rye too though. Go figure. :?
Relic
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Relic »

I use dog food and bread, but crountons or doughballs sound good too.

To avoid having them stolen :x you have to have them were they cant be seen, so they should be set in deep holes or under banks. Rap the string on a plain old stick and bury it in the creek. Haven't lost one yet :)
baz fish
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by baz fish »

I got 3 minnows trap stolen I think 2 of them where stolen because I put them in a renown minnow creek in my area and the last trap I think what happen is I didn't tyed it good on a pin and put it on a creek thats is only me ho know they got minnow there and this evening went to look for her and the rope was still there but the trap was gone I think she went with the current.

As for the seine and trap opinion I got both trap and seine and I would say I always get minnow if not with the trap is with the seine. And I use crackers to bait them and it work pretty good.
Grappler
Participant
Participant

Post by Grappler »

This is a good thread, I've often thought about trapping minnows on my own but never have...lots of good info here.

How about up norh in the remote lakes, where would it be best to position your traps??? (mostly all rock there)

Grappler
uplifta
Participant
Participant

Post by uplifta »

i've been hearing alot about timbits, the ones w/ the sprinkles on it...i will be trapping or trying 4 some minnows on thursday for fishing on friday.... i will post the results...will most likely be using a trap, might even buy a seine...

who has used timbits b4..if u have what kind?....mmmm timbits.......
Woodsman
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Woodsman »

lars56ca I making some dough balls tonite according to your recipe and will try them tomorrow. Will post results in a few days.

Best Wishes