Looking for a good Pike fishing lake!!

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
BigChuma
Participant
Participant

Looking for a good Pike fishing lake!!

Post by BigChuma »

Every Memorial Day weekend, A group of us usually head to CAN. to fish pike. The past 2yrs. we tried NY lakes. We want to return to CAN. this year. We originally went to White Lake for many years and tried Crotch Lake once. What are some of the better lakes for pike fishing???
BASSSTALKER
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by BASSSTALKER »

Welcome Big C. Otter Lake in Smiths Falls has some nice Pike being pulled out of her. If not try the Larry!
Suddsy
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Suddsy »

Welcome Big C. :) The Bay of Quinte off Lake Ontario is famous for its Walleye fishing but is overlooked for its excellent pike fishing. If you haven't been there, it stretches for approximately 30 miles from Deseronto to Trenton south of and running parallel to the 401 Highway.
Wall-I-Guy
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wall-I-Guy »

Hey BC, welcome aboard :!:

Well as you mentioned already, White Lake has very nice Pike. I was just talking to a local butcher here today who was mentioning that Constance Lake is very active for Pike right now! It's definetly a good one in the soft water season for them!

The Rideau River here in Ottawa holds some super Pike. Just might be worth a trip for you. Not to mention, lots of Muskie, Walleye and Bass :!:

Hope you find what you're looking for :!:
ganman
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by ganman »

Hiya BigC

The best places for pike in my opinion in eastern Ontario is the St Lawrence River and Ottawa River.

Another place is Big Gull Lake. Nice scenery, quiet and more rustic. Not far from crotch but should have better pike fishing. Nice place to stay is Camps Bay Cottages.

I think you need big water for a good pike lake if you want some size and numbers. Thats one thing these places all have in common. They all have lots of protected bays and islands.
Seaweed
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Pike

Post by Seaweed »

I think that Lake Simcoe is one of the best Pike fisheries going in Ontario.

I personally bagged big fish for many years every spring fishing with bobber and minnow from shore in downtown Barrie.

My personal best was about 18 pounds... fought for a good thirty minutes and took several long runs. Awesome fishing.
wolfe
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by wolfe »

Welcome, BC. We're "neighbors"!

I'm taking notes on this thread -- always looking for pike, myself. :D

W.
Thanks, Dad, for taking me fishing when I was a kid.
sparky
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by sparky »

Early in the season, before they retreat to the depths, you can catch fly-in quality pike in the Ottawa, right in the city. The trophies are outnumbered by regular-sized pike of course, but they are there.
steve-hamilton
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by steve-hamilton »

Suddsy, i fish BoQ quite often, and do very well for bass and walleye, but can't seem to find the big momma pike.

any suggestions on where to look? depths? presentations? i'm not looking for you honey holes, just some info to get me started...

in six trips, we've probably caught six pike, but none with any size (six pounds about the biggest)
[/quote]
Tony
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Tony »

If you're looking for bigger pike I suggest northern Ontario and Quebec. There are lots of big fish up there if you don't mind the extra distance I'm sure it'll be worth it. And if by chance you're flying to Canada go to Manatoba!! Knee Lake and surrounding lakes are known for numbers of 40+" pike and awsome walleye fishing. Best bet for big ones around here would be the Ottawa River but they seem to be few and far between.