I got a few fish mounts back today

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

Again it comes down to personal choice.... :wink:

I also have the picture thing goin.....I have a wall of fame in our living room......8X10's or bigger all dry mounted and hung.....looks great!

There will be some additions this summer.. :wink:
DV_8
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by DV_8 »

I agree with the picture thing. I haven't mounted a fish in a few years mostly because of lack of time. But today with the amazing digital cameras and photo editing software it's easy for the everyday photographer to make his/her photos look professional. I also agree that taking a picture in the outdoors and right at the moment the fish is caught makes for a better memory of the event. To each is own but like they say "A picture is worth a thousand words" Cheers! :D
big-o
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by big-o »

Hey Makus....did your guy Start on Mine yet?????.. Can't wait to see it :D :D ... Like a few others I chose Skin over replica's, not only the dollar Differance....a Replica, is not the fish I caught... like others, no matter what, I will never get another Walleye done, I hope to get one of each Speicies I target....the next will be Three or four Crappie on the Same piece of Drift wood...Maybe the next year a few Blue Gill. The fish I get done I would like to have a good story behind the catch...Like the Walleye...fishing with two good friends, I was sick as a dog with the Flu, the rod passed several hands before it got to mine, so it was caught by all three of us (Markus, Roughrider and my self).... a great time :D
ganman
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by ganman »

I agree with you 100% Steve Hamilton.

It's not my taste anymore to mount a fish plus I can think of a better use for it. As an artist I have an eye for detail but I am no expert in taxidermy. However to say only a skin mount looks realistic is wrong. For that matter neither does a replica. Nothing that stiff and lifeless with glass eyes can capture what it is.

I would have let her go. You did what you were entitled to and did nothing wrong.
JP
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by JP »

He did a great job. Nice Marcus
JP
Smile, It's a good day on the water!!
pikeie
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by pikeie »

those fish look great markus! :D
Markus
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Markus »

Coudn't agree more phil. The story andexperience has a lot to do with the fish. Take the muski...my first trip to the Rideau system fishing. I was with my good buddy fishhawk and was out with a group of Hawk Talkers.

I'm sure I'll get a bigger one, but I'll never replace the one I have now.

Phil, yours and Bills will be started soon. He is going wide open down there. He back burnered the walleye because he was waiting for eye ball supplies from Manitoba. He's got them now.

He's also busy with a Jaguar and a Tiger! :shock: I walked in and there's a Jaguar lying on the floor. :lol: I'm going down to see the Tiger too!
Last edited by Markus on Tue Feb 15, 2005 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spence Scout
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Nice Eye

Post by Spence Scout »

They Look great

however in my choice making I would never keep a 11.5lbs eye. To me that would be a tragedy lol! To nice to be a stiff table monument. lol... I would of gotten a replica of the eye for sure... Maybe muskie too. I got a big Pike mounted only because it died i tried to release it but it swallowed my crankbait. so i put it to use i would of never eaten it so...

They all look great however

SS
moondog
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by moondog »

Great looking mounts Markus!!!--this guy seems to have the painting of the fish down pat. Usually the paint job , either makes it or breaks it.
Nice work!
baz fish
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by baz fish »

Nice skins mount Markus this guy is truly a professional taxidermist. As for me if I caught a big fish and I wantit mounted I think all go with the skin mount over the replica because this is the real fish I caught. Im just waiting for a double didgit walleye a bass over 5 lbs or just a perch over 14" it doesnt matter which species of fish it is and even just a 3 lbs walleye mounted would look just as nice as a 12 lbs. Thats my point of vue.
fishforfun
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by fishforfun »

Those look real good Markus! Might have to get my old one fixed up!
Moosebunk
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Moosebunk »

Beauties Markus and CB. Congrats to you both on such excellent catches as well.

A picture may be worth a thousand words but I find that mounts are worth a thousand questions. Growing up a friend of mine had a 27lb pike mounted on the wall. Even as a non-fishing kid I'd find I'd stare at it in awe and want to go look at it every time I visited his house. I enjoyed having him tell me his story over and over again about the catch as we both grew up. If it had of been a picture of him holding the fish with a lure hanging out of it's mouth while standing in a boat beside his dad down Britton Bay on the Rideau, well... I don't think I would have had as much interest in that big pike. Part of what I loved about it was hearing the story, staring at it's awesomeness in all it's glory and envisioning myself being there with him, or catching it myself. And when you're a little kid too a big fish mounted like that really puts big fish into persepective. It would have been one hell of a big picture of phenomenal printed quality that would have been required to give that pike it's due respect. It could have eaten both my legs in one chomp when I was a little gaffer.

No picture could have created that memory for me. Mounts are real and also art, and so they should be observed and thought of in spectacle and inspiration... just as how you would have considered such a fish and experience in life.

Replicas vs Skins vs Pics is too heavy a burden to debate when it's people choice of how "they" feel best about displaying their glorious day fishing and the trophy that followed. :D
Muskiemagnet
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Muskiemagnet »

Great mounts Mark, can't wait to see them up close. I love the drift wood.
bosc
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by bosc »

Looks good. Was waiting for them to come back.

Now I have to catch myself a walleye.......
fisher
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by fisher »

Those are some great mounts Markus.
The guy did a wonderfull job.
Now! when are you buying that lodge and inviting Hawk Talkers for the oppening party/fishing adventure?? :D because that will be the proper and fitting place to house those beauties.