In-Fisherman video game - need tech support

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
M.T. Livewell
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

In-Fisherman video game - need tech support

Post by M.T. Livewell »

OK, one of my Xmas presents came just a little early. Misses Livewell got me the In-fisherman video game for my pc.
The game calls for ...
Pentium 3 800 or better processor - I have an AMD 1200 = good
64Meg video card that support Direct X9 - I have a 64 Meg on board shared = not so good
I am running XP and have 256 Meg of RAM.
I figure 128 of that is being sucked up by XP
Another 64 of that is being sucked up by video
That leaves me 64 for swap files.

I am noticing that my video is VERY choppy. To the point in fact that I cannot drive the boat because by the time the screen refreshes, I have hit shore. :cry: (not unlike the real world).

Geek question ...
Need more RAM?
Need dedicated video card?

Give me your opinions.

thanks
M.T. Livewell

(BTW, I'm having a heck of a time figuring out how to set the hook - help)
eye-tracker
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: In-Fisherman video game - need tech support

Post by eye-tracker »

M.T. Livewell wrote:OK, one of my Xmas presents came just a little early. Misses Livewell got me the In-fisherman video game for my pc.
MT...you are going to need more RAM 512 should be a minimum with XP if you are going to play any games. If a game says you need 256MB of RAM that is free RAM not installed RAM. With a shared video card you can't go rong with more RAM...not to mention it is pretty cheap right now.

Otherwise I would recommend a xbox or PS2...saves all the bloody updates to your computer and video cards to play the next great game on the market.

enjoy :wink:
Sheldon Hatch
Just a guy that likes to fish walleye
Canadian Bacon
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Canadian Bacon »

Geeks :D
slushpuppy
Retail Advertiser
Retail Advertiser

Post by slushpuppy »

To set the hook, you have to move the mouse up and down a couple of times (moves the rod tip up and down) while you're reeling in (I believe that's the left mouse button).

Don't forget to keep track of the colour on the line meter. It'll go green, yellow, red, then your line breaks. When it starts going green, press the "-" key repeatedly, that's your drag. The number in the middle of that meter is also the speed you're reeling in at. To change that, type in a number between 1 and 0 (0 being 10), 1 is slowest, 0 is fastest.

I've been having a few problems with my game. Couldn't install it on Bowzog's PC, video card isn't good enough, it's built in and there are no extra slots. Too bad Bowzog :cry: :cry: . I installed it on my new laptop with no problem. It does weird things sometimes, like hearing the sound of "reeling in" when I'm not. That usually happens when I cut the line or the fish escapes when I didn't hookset.

More to learn...
M.T. Livewell
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by M.T. Livewell »

Thanks guys. Keep any and all suggestions coming.

ET, you think just a RAM upgrade will be enough, or should I do the RAM+video? (this is getting expensive).

SlushyP, thanks for the feedback. Mine was making that reeling sound too. Hmm.

Next part will be figuring out how to find the fish. :(

M.T. Livewell
CNs
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by CNs »

Unfortunately this game does not play well.

My current PC is an amd 2.6 with 512 Ram and 256meg ATI 9600 xt video board.

Doom3 Call of Duty Medal of honour all ran flawlessy on this machine. Infisherman was choppy, dropped frames, and was very frustrating to play. I have an old copy of Championship Bass by Ea sports that plays much better.

Also do not get Rapala's fishing game same problems and lousy graphics.

When they make a game that you can smell the fish slime then I will get it.
Gordo
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Gordo »

MT,

More Ram and a video card. If you want to play games it's all about the video card! :D

Gordo
Gord

NPAA#553
Snag
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: In-Fisherman video game - need tech support

Post by Snag »

eye-tracker wrote:
M.T. Livewell wrote:OK, one of my Xmas presents came just a little early. Misses Livewell got me the In-fisherman video game for my pc.
MT...you are going to need more RAM 512 should be a minimum with XP if you are going to play any games. If a game says you need 256MB of RAM that is free RAM not installed RAM. With a shared video card you can't go rong with more RAM...not to mention it is pretty cheap right now.

Otherwise I would recommend a xbox or PS2...saves all the bloody updates to your computer and video cards to play the next great game on the market.

enjoy :wink:
Why is it pretty cheap right now? I need some more ram on my computer, is now a good time to buy? I already have 256 but I want to add another stick.
M.T. Livewell
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by M.T. Livewell »

OK, another geek question. Actually 2.

I have managed to get a 128 and 64 Meg stick of PC100 RAM (the price was right = $0).

So, now I have to check to make sure I have 4 RAM slots. But, my questions are ...

1) I have 256 Megs of PC133. I assume if I put in the PC100, all of the RAM on that bus will slow to 100. Correct? Not a huge deal I suppose.
2) Can I put a 128 stick in with a 64, or do both stick needs to be the same size?

Here's hoping it helps. Frankly, it's gotta help!

M.T. Livewell
Rico
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Rico »

They will all run the same speed. Also you can put whatever variation you want 64 512 and 128 . Just as long as it doesn't exceed your max limit.
spanky
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by spanky »

I have almost the same setup computer wise, except i've got an intel Pentium 4 1.8GHZ and 384 (or so) DDR RAM.... still choppy choppy, so i'd think a video card on it's own may help it a bit :)

and if you still need to you can pick up a video card here for $50., just have to figure out if you have a PCI or AGP slot....

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/ ... p?CatId=28

memory here:

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/ ... memory.asp

I've never used the store itself, so i'm just reccomending it on basis of pricing :)
slushpuppy
Retail Advertiser
Retail Advertiser

Post by slushpuppy »

Sometimes it depends on who manufactured your computer. I ran into that problem when I tried to upgrade the ram on my HP. Turns out, only very specific and expensive RAM works in there.

here's a place where I've ordered from before. They will tell you which RAM will work in your PC, they even have stuff for my Mom's old PC.

www.canadaram.com