What Ice Fishing Suit

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Konenn
Participant
Participant

What Ice Fishing Suit

Post by Konenn »

I’m looking for a deal on a 2 XL ice suit like at this website https://under-the-open-sky.com/best-ice-fishing-suits/ looking for some input staying warm isn’t a problem so far looking for some what warm 100% water proof I’ve heard good things about striker and the frabill suites don’t want a bulky suit
Last edited by Konenn on Fri Dec 27, 2019 3:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: What Ice Fishing Suit

Post by smitty55 »

I have an Arctic Armor suit from IDI Gear that I am very happy with. Lightweight and very flexible even in the extreme cold. Padded in all the right spots, windproof and waterproof and it will float 700lbs. https://www.idigear.com/arctic-armor-cold-weather-gear

Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
nighttroller
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by nighttroller »

I bought an Arctic Armor suit when they first came out. Very light, warm, and they float. My only complaint was when I fished in the rain or heavy snow it didn't keep me dry. I bought a Striker Predator two years ago and it has been great so far. Arctic Armor may have changed the design of their jackets and they are water proof now. Either way you can't go wrong, the most important thing is they float and keep you warm.
jackplans
Participant
Participant

Post by jackplans »

I mostly use HECS Hunting - Energy Concealing Base Layer for fishing and hunting. You can read detail review here https://www.plansoutdoor.com/best-base- ... r-hunting/
Enjoy Your life
Corvus Lacus
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Corvus Lacus »

I shopped around pretty extensively last fall for a new ice/float suit. Ended up with the CLAM ICE ARMOR jacket and bibs. Of everything I tried on, it provided the greatest range of movement and felt the least "heavy". CLAM uses insulation and baffles they call "Motion Float" technology. A lot of the other brands seemed to me to be somewhat restrictive and stiff...they can feel like you're wearing a head-to-toe life jacket. After a winter of about 2 dozen days of use, I found it to be 100% waterproof, and decently breathable (there are also arm-pit and thigh zips if you really need to shed heat fast). There are plenty of pockets in all the right places (including a waterproof cell phone pocket), and the knees are extra durable with additional padding. The sizing is very generous...lots of room for base and mid-layers. Most days, with just light-weight poly long underwear and a mid-weight Polar fleece underneath, I never felt cold. On a couple of brutal days down to -20C, I substituted a lightweight down sweater for the fleece. Late ice...just a CoolMax t-shirt underneath was plenty. Tip...stay away from anything cotton when on the ice.

I haven't broke through the ice yet (at least not with this suit...lol), so I can't speak to it's floatation properties...I'm sure it will be fine, but like most ice suits it's not Transport Canada approved as a PFD.
The tug is the drug..