Urban ... Ice Fishing??

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Oneeleven
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Urban ... Ice Fishing??

Post by Oneeleven »

So there's lots of ideas of where you can fish that's inner city, that you don't need a car to get to. What about ice fishing?

I'm sick of bugging the crap out of my friends and mission-get-a-car is still a few months away. I've got my own gear and a light, hand auger. So alls I needs is some some ice...

I've called and confirmed that Dows Lake is off limits.

Anyone ever tried the Rideau River? Mooneys Bay?
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: Urban ... Ice Fishing??

Post by smitty55 »

There's always Brittannia bay. For many years there was a major tourney there but I'm not sure if anyone still fishes there. Plus, some folks fish around the end of Woodroffe Ave. but I'm not sure where exactly..

Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
BradGuenette
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by BradGuenette »

Plenty of good spots within the city that are accessible through downtown or in aylmer,Weather it be on the Rideau or the Ottawa. I would be pretty cautious about heading out there this year though, there's some good current out there.

Last edited by BradGuenette on Sat Feb 27, 2016 10:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
Brad Guenette
Swimbait Canada
Peron
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Peron »

Last year I would have pointed you to a number of spots on the Ottawa and Rideau based on my own limited experience but also seeing the huts out there. This year caution is the watch word. I was just crossing the bridge in Brad's photo this am in a taxi and as I looked out I saw the largest ice ridge I have ever seen in my life (not to mention a lot of open water). I sent you a pm with my suggestion.

Anyone fished the Bronson street bridge area? Last year I would have tried off the park no problem but I am pretty concerned about current this year.... Lots of open water everywhere I look.

Rod
Oneeleven
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Oneeleven »

Frig. Thanks guys. I'm kinda worried. Sketchy is no fun. On top of it, I would be alone. Prob not too safe.
Brad. Those are some crazy pics. I swear to god I saw you out there. Lol
Out4trout
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Out4trout »

I don't live near Ottawa, but if I did, you would be welcome to join our crew for a fishing outing.
Must be a group from Ottawa going to safer ice somewhere tomorrow?

Hope you get your wheels in time for softwater!
scarkner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by scarkner »

I fish the end of Woodroffe (at Deschene Rapids), but haven't tried it this year.

You have to be really careful in there and fish off to the left of the parking lot in the bay. If you go straight out you will be into lots of current. I did try fishing straight out last year and it was OK, but that was such an unusual year for THICK ice!

I have seen people fishing in the bay this year, no idea if they had any luck.
zippyfx
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by zippyfx »

Very interesting question..... I am speculating so don;t consider this an endorsement of safe ice at any of these spots.

I don't know about this but I have read about people ice fishing deep parts of dows lake.... You'll likely get a lot of attention though.

Other options may include pattersons creek and browns inlet in the gleeb.... Not sure how deep these get when the water is drawn down. Probably et some panfish action.

Another option might be brewer park or parts of mooneys bay...

How about Mackay lake in Rockliffe?

Whats is the entrance to the canal like on the Ottawa River?
RyanW
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by RyanW »

Last edited by RyanW on Mon Apr 25, 2016 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
613 Ice Fishing
On Facebook
joco01
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by joco01 »

Ottawa river. I have done fabulous walleye fishing right down town. Hull marina,,,right at the end of the docks, Sure not always good but wen it is. Yes. But be carefull at the end of ciment dock wall more curent. So less. Ice.

Gatineau boom sector thats accros rideau falls. Done good there for eyes and perch,,,,the bay closer to hull have good pike population. This is in town

In descend. You got deschene bay

Theres fish all over on this great ottawa river. Its fishing,,,,so can be good and not,,,but yes theres plenty of fish in there.

Joco
Peron
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Peron »

A couple of spots mentioned actually have open water due to the high currents and warm weather. The end of the Marina pier in Gatineau was open yesterday and I saw a lot of current. I was thinking the inside part might be okay but I would be drilling holes every 10 feet to be sure.

I would love to fish the deep hole at Dows lake but even though it would be perfectly safe for Ice fisherman they will definitely fine you. Once they close it they enforce it nowadays.

Rod
otownyaker
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by otownyaker »

You could always fish some open water that's is easy to get to hogs back falls @the bottom should be open and norm can get a spot that u xan fish fame in tge winter.
But the easyest way to get to a good spot would be simply t on post on here if u want to go out I'm sure you could find someone willing to meet up somewhere etc
OTownYaker
613 Ice Fishing team
O-Town Fishing Adventures
larrybass
Participant
Participant

Post by larrybass »

Peron wrote:A couple of spots mentioned actually have open water due to the high currents and warm weather. The end of the Marina pier in Gatineau was open yesterday and I saw a lot of current. I was thinking the inside part might be okay but I would be drilling holes every 10 feet to be sure.

I would love to fish the deep hole at Dows lake but even though it would be perfectly safe for Ice fisherman they will definitely fine you. Once they close it they enforce it nowadays.

Rod
So, you're saying that we can't ice fish on/in Dow's Lake??
Peron
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Peron »

larrybass wrote: So, you're saying that we can't ice fish on/in Dow's Lake??
Yup. They will give you a fine!
Lvace
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Lvace »

Not sure how they could stop you from fishing dows lake since it is not on the list of exceptions so therefore should be fair game and legal to fish for any open species within that zone ! My neighbor told about being harassed there and was issued a fine which he took to court and won on the basis on the mnrs rules and exceptions!