Bass Opener

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
BradGuenette
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: Bass Opener

Post by BradGuenette »

I launch my 18ft bass boat in at the Clayton/Taylor launch regularly throughout the year, and have never run into any problems. Only issue you may have is if someone is parked in the little round about, if your decent at driving & backing up a trailer you shouldn't have any issues.
Brad Guenette
Swimbait Canada
Alby
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Alby »

I'll be at White Lake on Saturday. I'm not competing in the BAA, but I'll still be out there.

Enjoy the opener,
ALBY
Oneeleven
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Oneeleven »

I will be on Big Rideau, for the OVSB tourney.

And a couple of other suggestions for bow:

Ottawa River - Fitsroy Harbour.- Awesome, free launch - It's gorgeous, species a plenty, and lots of different bays to explore. The current can get a little hairy in points, but it is only temporary.
Calabogie Lake (didn't look up the zone but I think that's still 18...) again, beautiful scenery, and lots of lake to explore.
And not sure how you feel about current, but Lake St. Francis - is a blast if you're looking for some deeper water fishing. It can get wavy later in the day, but sticking in bays and nearer to the shoreline can remedy that. And it has amazing, free launch as well.
The wind on Sat and Sun is supposed to be minimal, so that will help!

Have a blast!
Rex Mundi
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Rex Mundi »

Oneeleven wrote:I will be on Big Rideau, for the OVSB tourney.

Ottawa River - Fitsroy Harbour.- Awesome, free launch - It's gorgeous, species a plenty, and lots of different bays to explore. The current can get a little hairy in points, but it is only temporary.
Calabogie Lake (didn't look up the zone but I think that's still 18...) again, beautiful scenery, and lots of lake to explore.
And not sure how you feel about current, but Lake St. Francis - is a blast if you're looking for some deeper water fishing. It can get wavy later in the day, but sticking in bays and nearer to the shoreline can remedy that. And it has amazing, free launch as well.

Have a blast!
Calabogie is Zone 15 and Fitzroy is Zone 12 so no bass fishing in there until next week.

Where is the launch in St. Francis as I have always wanted to fish there?
brufan
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by brufan »

Rex Mundi wrote:
I may give it a try. I have heard that there are a bunch of rocks and other hazards so have not fished there in the past.
Yes, for God's sake don't go to a lake that has rocks and hazards to fish Bass! I heard there may be docks, weeds and overhanging trees as well. Hell, just navigating the highways to get to a bass lake can be hazardous. Stick to pike fishing, much safer. :wink:
Oneeleven
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Oneeleven »

Rex Mundi wrote:
Oneeleven wrote:I will be on Big Rideau, for the OVSB tourney.

Have a blast!
Calabogie is Zone 15 and Fitzroy is Zone 12 so no bass fishing in there until next week.

Where is the launch in St. Francis as I have always wanted to fish there?
Ah, well there ya go. And the Cornwall launch is good for Franny.
DropShot’r
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by DropShot’r »

I will be sitting this opener out unless I get an invite.

The ol 100hp' Merc went to heaven last season. My final plan was to put a friends 90hp Johnson he was taking off to install a new 135hp HO E-Tec. This is finally being started this weekend so maybe next week-end most likely 2 weeks from now.

Drop
Dobyns Army member
Alex Bull
Participant
Participant

Post by Alex Bull »

White Lake for me.
Lvace
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Lvace »

Just clarify about the stumps in Clayton/Taylor, Yes they are old but let me assure you that they are all Not soft!! I have had my 9.9 jump up many many times! Unless you are very familiar with the channels be cautious!
fatluke
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fatluke »

Bass opener???
I will be a my 4 year old's dance recital on Saturday. Woo-hoo.

Sunday for Father's day my dad and I will be walleye fishing. Bass opener has lost its appeal to me uite a few years ago.
MEAT - Grind it, stuff it, smoke it.
Rex Mundi
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Rex Mundi »

fatluke wrote:Bass opener???

Sunday for Father's day my dad and I will be walleye fishing. Bass opener has lost its appeal to me uite a few years ago.
I get your point but for me I can catch Bass. I would prefer to go Walleye fishing but Walleye are still a bit of a mystery to me. I can't really troll at slow speeds so I an relegated to vertical jigging or casting. I very seldom catch Walleye casting and jigging I seem to be just donating my worms to sun fish and perch until it gets close to sundown. Outside that last 30 minutes before the sun goes down I am just scratching my head on catching Walleye.
Oneeleven
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Oneeleven »

I just wanted to say how great this page is and I love how people are here to help, no matter who asks the question.

Thanks to all on the page for your helpful insight.

I don't think it's said enough.

FH Rocks!
Oneeleven
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Oneeleven »

fatluke wrote:Bass opener???

I would love to be at some little hike-in back lake and canoe for opener. If I didn't have a tourney, I would definitely be doing just that. Opener of steelhead and opener of bass season, two things that only doing once was enough to know that the crowds make me a little crazy! :D
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

Oneeleven wrote:I just wanted to say how great this page is and I love how people are here to help, no matter who asks the question.

Thanks to all on the page for your helpful insight.

I don't think it's said enough.

FH Rocks!
Agreed Tia. 100%.

I'll be on Lake Ontario looking for a 6 lb Smallie.

RJ