Skunked by crappie again!

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
badandy
Participant
Participant

Skunked by crappie again!

Post by badandy »

This is my first year fishing for Crappie and I'm having a hell of a time landing one. Early spring I tried shore fishing around the Long Island locks, Black Rapids, and along the west side of the Rideau between Manotick and Barrhaven. I recently got a kayak and took it out to Kars last Friday and eccolands on Monday. The only things that seem interested in my crappie jigs are perch and out-of-season fish (bass/pike).

I've been focusing in the shallows (3-10ft) near bullrush beds, creek mouths and logs/trees. Tried small jigs with pink plastic grubs, jigs with live worms, jigs with those 1" scented berkley shiners (green/white), tube jigs (yellow/white/pink) and the jigs with the feathers on the end. I usually stay in a place for about 15mins unless I get bites then I hang out longer. Have a float with the jig 1ft-4ft below. Cast, let it sit for 10s, then retrieve a little at a time with pauses.

Did anyone have luck this past weekend? Any tips the pro's could share for catching those elusive little bastards?
zippyfx
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Re: Skunked by crappie again!

Post by zippyfx »

PM Sent.
Kerrazy
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Kerrazy »

The temps aren't there yet it seems. The north winds over the last week and a half I believe haven't helped.
I have had a couple PM's regarding this very subject.

I have been marking them, yet we only boated one. This weeks temps will really make the bite come alive I suspect.

I did however see my buddies son boat a gorgeous Walleye, a solid 5lber, of course released. And watched another breeching the water today while spawning.

Heading to Lake Nippising in a couple weeks and can't wait!!!!!
Kerrazy

"Everyone should believe in something. I believe I'll Go Fishing!"- Thoreau
I'd like to thank my sponsors:
Interac - Be in the Black
Jerry, my neighbour, who foolishly leaves his shed and truck open, so I can try all the latest gear!
FireFox
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by FireFox »

Hey badandy,

Im in the same boat as you -- this is the first year that I have tried to catch some of these guys and Ive been out pounding the waters a few times without even one to hit the deck - I did get some perch and one big bluegill, but no crappies. Im fishing in a similar fashion to what you described, with and without the float, even tried with some small minnows (perch loved those guys).

The water temps have not moved in the last 2 weeks and maybe like Kerrazy says they are behind schedule this year, but its the middle of May (almost) and pike/walleye season will be open soon so maybe this is not a great spring for crappie fishing.

If you do find some out there do post back and let us know.

Fox
avidangler
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by avidangler »

I managed about 6 eaters size out of the Kars area a few weeks back. The crappie I did see were hanging very tight to wood and in amongst 10,000 pumpkinseed and bluegill. If you have a chance get out tomorrow. Todays and tomorrows weather should get them back into the shallows with numbers.
Money can't buy you happiness but it can buy you fishing gear and that's kinda the same thing.
CBB
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by CBB »

I think all this North wind is affecting fishing everywhere and making it a late spring for most fish. Keep after them as they are tasty.
badandy
Participant
Participant

Post by badandy »

Thanks for the comments guys. Gonna give it another go tonight after work.
River Monster
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by River Monster »

I've been targeting rock, gravel/ sand bottom and brush piles with great success in 1-8 feet of water. Water temp was 57. They seem to hit a lot better as the day goes on. Noon almost nothing by 5pm it was non stop action. on a 2.5" white tube 1/16oz. They would hit the bait on the drop.

i found areas with mud they wanted nothing to do with.

Now when i came across sunfish i moved away from them.

I did notice in spots where sunfish were present a few weeks ago they have now left and crappie had moved in.

Keep at it when you get one or two make note of weeds, rocks, logs etc.
- Rick Ozga
Bob23
Participant
Participant

Post by Bob23 »

zippyfx wrote:PM Sent.
Wish I could read this :twisted:

I'm in the same boat. I'm just starting and went only for short time periods so I'm not worried but so far, no luck. I did excite a pike the other day but that's about it...
I'm not giving up!

what kind of minnows are you using for perch?
kliven
Participant
Participant

Post by kliven »

I've been out quite a few times last year and this year, and I've had my fair share of skunks. I sorta figured them out last weekend, and I think the general pattern is to look for very sheltered areas (eg. long bays, creeks, or marinas that extend from the ridea river). I found that the creeks that go furthest from the river often are the most sheltered and have the most fish. My theory is that these fish like stable conditions, and will usually be willing to bite when they've got somewhere to hide, away from the main river.

As for weather, I found that warmer, sunnier conditions are most productive (hence, fish noon to afternoons). If the air temperatures cool down for a few days, make sure to fish the jig slowly (a slip bobber helps it hover in the strike zone).

I'm still a newbie at crappie fishing, so correct me if something I posted is not quite right! =)
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

As someone who has spent countless hours chasing these suckers I can tell you it's hit or miss most of the time. It certainly is nowhere near over though the traditional shore spots are likely done as most of them are early fish spots.

An area I caught 75 fish in last week today was void of life due to the water clearing up over the week, I moved off from that area quick and looked elsewhere. Only spending days chasing them and reading that water made me move as I knew they were gone quick.

Today I found them in 5 different spots that were all different. The best area was 8 feet of water with last years cabbage still standing. It was game on there big time.

RJ
badandy
Participant
Participant

Post by badandy »

Well I went out yesterday near the Long Island marina in Kars and got one, just big enough to sneak a few small fillets off. After I found him I kept at it in the same location but didn't get anymore bites. Switched jig colors... still nothing... so I moved on. The area I got him had a lot of gunk and weeds. Not sure if it was ideal.

Pike and sunfish were hitting but no more crappie. Ah well, at least I got one!

75 fish in a week!? That's awesome RJ, don't think I got that many fish all of last year. When you say 8ft of water, where do you set your jig? I've been putting a float 1-3ft from the jig as it seems like their eyes look up. Is that too shallow?

And do they not typically like clear water? I thought it was just vegetation and trees they like, but should I also be looking for murkier water?
CyrusG
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by CyrusG »

Lots of crappie around kars. Haven't found many downstream from manotick but I've had the odd evening where a huge school of slab crappie came around the upper section of long island locks when i used to fish it, but it was a hit and miss most days.
Cy
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

badandy wrote:Well I went out yesterday near the Long Island marina in Kars and got one, just big enough to sneak a few small fillets off. After I found him I kept at it in the same location but didn't get anymore bites. Switched jig colors... still nothing... so I moved on. The area I got him had a lot of gunk and weeds. Not sure if it was ideal.

Pike and sunfish were hitting but no more crappie. Ah well, at least I got one!

75 fish in a week!? That's awesome RJ, don't think I got that many fish all of last year. When you say 8ft of water, where do you set your jig? I've been putting a float 1-3ft from the jig as it seems like their eyes look up. Is that too shallow?

And do they not typically like clear water? I thought it was just vegetation and trees they like, but should I also be looking for murkier water?
75 Crappie in an afternoon is the norm when you are in the right are at the right time. Being on shore really cripples you especially as the season moves along. When we were in 8 feet of water we were set at about 4 feet down.

When they are in clear water you'll find them tucked to cover ie. wood, docks or emerging weeds.

RJ