Lake trout spoon size

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
jshow89
Participant
Participant

Lake trout spoon size

Post by jshow89 »

Hey guys I'm looking to do some lake trout fishing later this summer with downrigers in charleston, from people I've talked to my best bet is to run spoons, just wondering what sizes I should use, at the store I've seen them anywhere from 8" to 1"
fatluke
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Lake trout spoon size

Post by fatluke »

"Go big or go home". :-)

I wouldn't use anything smaller then 3", and not larger then 6".... but i also wouldn't troll for them, I would jig.
MEAT - Grind it, stuff it, smoke it.
jshow89
Participant
Participant

Post by jshow89 »

if your choosing to jig, do you cruise around until you mark them?? ive never jigged for trout before, I used to downrig with my grandfather many moons ago, but never jigged because never could really figure out how guys picked spots to start
mitch
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by mitch »

A fish finder, a contour map (paper or electronic) and an electric motor (to keep your presentation vertical) are all that are needed IMO. Deep water (>60 feet) humps and troughs are good starting points.
scuro
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by scuro »

Troll first, certain spots will produce, jig those areas. I don't jig but that is the way I would go if I were to go that way. If I'm trolling the deeper I go, generally the bigger the spoon. They will hit NKs so you don't have to go too small. Also I use more the flutter spoon style of spoon instead of casting spoons.
...anything to bend the rod
fatluke
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fatluke »

I would look for bait or structure on the graph and start there. If you find bait, there will be fish. If you can't find bait, look for some underwater structure. I find jigging much more fun and productive then trolling.
Netman
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Netman »

I mostly use 3 inch spoons, 4 inch if you include the hook when I'm out on Charleston Lake.
Where abouts will you be fishing? I troll circles around the outside of big water with leadcore 3 to 5 colours over 30 feet all season.
I've never had much luck jigging em up but but some people do
jshow89
Participant
Participant

Post by jshow89 »

I'm gonna be out near big waters and a few islands, I have an old paper map that was given to me with old trolling runs penciled in on it, so I'll give that a try, is it worth going out when the season first opens? I know the fish will be higher earlier just wasn't sure if they'd be active, pretty green when it comes to lake trout
Netman
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Netman »

I have a paper map of Charleston that I bought from the MNR years ago. Wish they still sold them. There was a big book of lakes to choose from. I use my navionics on my phone now.
Season opener is on the 28th this month and the fishing has always been good for me. Some double digit days during the first few weeks of the season
jshow89
Participant
Participant

Post by jshow89 »

Is the navionics app worth getting, I have a bunch of iTunes gift cards and went to download it but I wasn't sure what to get and if it was worth it
fatluke
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fatluke »

jshow89 wrote:Is the navionics app worth getting, I have a bunch of iTunes gift cards and went to download it but I wasn't sure what to get and if it was worth it
It is well worth it. I'll never fish without it again.
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

This may help you out some as well.

Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
Netman
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Netman »

Lol right on Smitty. That's the same map I have. It was from a survey done back in 1976 I think. The blue is basically the run I do

CBB
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by CBB »

When jigging for them you need to be able to see your jig on your FF and stay above the fish and as the fish come up start bringing your jig up to get them to react strike. Big white tubs are hard to beat in any water for Lakers
Netman
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Netman »

CBB wrote:Big white tubs are hard to beat in any water for Lakers
Is this one too big :lol: Sorry dood I couldn't resist