Kick starting the Crappie bite

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Kick starting the Crappie bite

Post by RJ »

smitty55 wrote:Way to go Len That's one hell of a slab. I've never caught one that big.
Water temp on the Rideau in the canal at Kilmarnock was 53°F today. Like RJ mentioned the other day the water is quite low for this time of year. Out of the 4 spots I went to today only one produced. Brought seven home with the largest at 11", lots of dinks around. It's been very sporadic so far in the Smiths Falls area with the best slab grab happening 2 weeks ago for a couple of days at one particular lock. Go figure that one. I've talked to plenty of locals fishing the last week and I keep hearing that many of the normal good spots haven't happened this year at all. They're still hoping things will start but the way the water levels are dropping I have my doubts. I would say that the water levels have dropped well over a foot since I was there last Friday.

This one for you Len. So my first time out was last Thursday afternoon. My first stop was this bridge across a creek. Never been there before. No one is there. I get set up and spend 15 minutes there getting used to my new to me 10 ft ul rod. I'm real happy with it so far as it has a great action for Crappie. Anyway, fishing is dead, current is too strong IMO I'm about to go back to the car when this grey van pulls in to the parking area. I start chatting with him back at the car, tell him its dead there. He knows all the spots around and is on a day tour. Old guy, bad back, hearing aids, but still out fishing. Cool. So I figure he's a local and ask him. "Nope he says, I live on 140 acres on the Charleston Lake Road." Really? Seems like way further south but it's really only 25 minutes by road to Smiths Falls and 30 km due South.

Not to highjack things here, but I think it bears pointing out the great social aspect of Rideau River shoreline Crappie fishing. From the first time I did it way back on those day long cruises along the river with the boys and plenty of times out with my girls it was always part of that spring ritual. Sometimes picnics or barbecues are part of the adventure. This evening I was the first person parked at the lock at around 5. An hour later there was at least three different parents there with kids. At least 6 kids. 7 or more vehicles. I had a great time interacting with the bunch of the kids there and their folks. Specially 11 year old Courtney and her dad who were next down the line of folks. She started with dad taking the fish off the hook but after a while insisted on doing it herself. She's gonna be a good fishergirl that one. I made sure to compliment her on it and razz the old man too. hehe I had already met them earlier at a different spot. She started with worms and caught sunfish but once she switched to a pink/white tube that's all she used.

Last but not least. There are plenty of shore fishermen on this site. This is a unique opportunity to catch Crappie from shore, not much else is open anyway, its fun and rewarding, with the bonus at the plate.
For those who haven't tried it before and may not be sure about what to use I can make it real simple for you all. All you need is a microtube with a 1/16 or 1/32 tube jig head. On the Rideau I could easily get by with red/pink head and white tail. In fact that's all I tie on anyway. Not always needed but most use a float. Today my depth was 30" tops. Providing action with your rod tip between pauses has made a big difference from what I've seen lately for sure.

So go for it lads. Now is the time. Oh yea btw. Use the lightest possible line you can. 4lb test is good, even if you only use a 3 ft leader. It absolutely can make all the difference in catching fish or not, trust me on that one.

Cheers
Gotta say Smitty that may be your best post ever on FH. Great info and insight.

RJ
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

Tks RJ. I had considered starting my own thread but Len's did seem like a good option so I figured he wouldn't mind. I had noticed that there seemed to be a good number of members here who hadn't experienced the spring Crappie run before so I thought I'd try and help them out. It can be lot's of fun, although it sure has been sporadic this year. I was back out yesterday and with the calm waters and increased light penetration the crappie were nowhere to be found. Go figure.

Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
Lenny
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Lenny »

I had a great day of crappie fishing on saturday on the rideau, landed 15 keeprs. Had a wonderful fish taco dinner with a few friends after, they were delicious. No surprise about Smitty giving good advice, he was a huge help and gave some great advice to me last year.
riverdog
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by riverdog »

Nice Slabosuarus fellows!
Fishing the St.Lawrence 12 months a year!
stopper35
Participant
Participant

Post by stopper35 »

Rideau crappie were biting today. :)

I caught over a dozen in 30 minutes or so and threw back a handful of the smaller ones. The rest will be dinner tonight. First time trying them so should be interesting.
D17A1
Participant
Participant

Post by D17A1 »

stopper35 wrote:Rideau crappie were biting today. :)

I caught over a dozen in 30 minutes or so and threw back a handful of the smaller ones. The rest will be dinner tonight. First time trying them so should be interesting.

Excellent. Where on the Rideau and what bait are you using?
Netman
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Netman »

Holy CRAPpie. Nice outing
Out4trout
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Out4trout »

Thanks Smitty
Good info - and I think I know the old guy you spoke with... small world.

smitty55 wrote:Way to go Len That's one hell of a slab. I've never caught one that big.
Water temp on the Rideau in the canal at Kilmarnock was 53°F today. Like RJ mentioned the other day the water is quite low for this time of year. Out of the 4 spots I went to today only one produced. Brought seven home with the largest at 11", lots of dinks around. It's been very sporadic so far in the Smiths Falls area with the best slab grab happening 2 weeks ago for a couple of days at one particular lock. Go figure that one. I've talked to plenty of locals fishing the last week and I keep hearing that many of the normal good spots haven't happened this year at all. They're still hoping things will start but the way the water levels are dropping I have my doubts. I would say that the water levels have dropped well over a foot since I was there last Friday.

This one for you Len. So my first time out was last Thursday afternoon. My first stop was this bridge across a creek. Never been there before. No one is there. I get set up and spend 15 minutes there getting used to my new to me 10 ft ul rod. I'm real happy with it so far as it has a great action for Crappie. Anyway, fishing is dead, current is too strong IMO I'm about to go back to the car when this grey van pulls in to the parking area. I start chatting with him back at the car, tell him its dead there. He knows all the spots around and is on a day tour. Old guy, bad back, hearing aids, but still out fishing. Cool. So I figure he's a local and ask him. "Nope he says, I live on 140 acres on the Charleston Lake Road." Really? Seems like way further south but it's really only 25 minutes by road to Smiths Falls and 30 km due South.

Not to highjack things here, but I think it bears pointing out the great social aspect of Rideau River shoreline Crappie fishing. From the first time I did it way back on those day long cruises along the river with the boys and plenty of times out with my girls it was always part of that spring ritual. Sometimes picnics or barbecues are part of the adventure. This evening I was the first person parked at the lock at around 5. An hour later there was at least three different parents there with kids. At least 6 kids. 7 or more vehicles. I had a great time interacting with the bunch of the kids there and their folks. Specially 11 year old Courtney and her dad who were next down the line of folks. She started with dad taking the fish off the hook but after a while insisted on doing it herself. She's gonna be a good fishergirl that one. I made sure to compliment her on it and razz the old man too. hehe I had already met them earlier at a different spot. She started with worms and caught sunfish but once she switched to a pink/white tube that's all she used.

Last but not least. There are plenty of shore fishermen on this site. This is a unique opportunity to catch Crappie from shore, not much else is open anyway, its fun and rewarding, with the bonus at the plate.
For those who haven't tried it before and may not be sure about what to use I can make it real simple for you all. All you need is a microtube with a 1/16 or 1/32 tube jig head. On the Rideau I could easily get by with red/pink head and white tail. In fact that's all I tie on anyway. Not always needed but most use a float. Today my depth was 30" tops. Providing action with your rod tip between pauses has made a big difference from what I've seen lately for sure.

So go for it lads. Now is the time. Oh yea btw. Use the lightest possible line you can. 4lb test is good, even if you only use a 3 ft leader. It absolutely can make all the difference in catching fish or not, trust me on that one.

Cheers
Out4trout
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Out4trout »

It's go time!! Good luck on both Luke.
fatluke wrote:Good Job Len, I'm hoping to sneak out early next week.... After turkey hunting of course. :-)
Moosebunk
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Moosebunk »

You and the boy sure did kick start the crap outta things. That's a fine slab.
stopper35
Participant
Participant

Post by stopper35 »

D17A1 wrote:
stopper35 wrote:Rideau crappie were biting today. :)

Excellent. Where on the Rideau and what bait are you using?

Small yellow/orange jighead (1/8oz) with a small light green plastic minnow that I trimmed to about 1.5" and a float. They seemed to strike a medium quick retrieve and in about 2-3 feet of clear water. The bigger ones were near submerged structure.
donw
Participant
Participant

Post by donw »

Great update, Smitty, thanks.
Took the canoe out on the Rideau last week, but a bit further south, between Baxter CA and the 416 bridge.
Was doing some shallow water scouting, not fishing it, but checking out the features for pike/bass seasons ahead.
I did pop the rod in the water at a few spots. That stretch seems to hold fewer crappie than some other areas (though others can correct me if they disagree), but there is an outlet right across from the conservation area that looked promising.
Didn't score any, but it was a great afternoon anyway. Learned a lot about the structure/cover in that area.
You are correct, water is very low. I know it rained some on Friday, but I'm thinking we are going to need some extended wet periods or else we'll be going into the busy part of fishing season with the water already down. And, from the forecast, does not seem to be much rain on the way.
Hope to get back out one afternoon this week. Hoping for a temperature above 10C though, so we'll see. These cool days seem to continue endlessly according to my weather app...
Don W
Fishing is fun ... catching something is a bonus
Lvace
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Lvace »

Nice slab! Lots of good info in this thread!