Walleye opener ready!

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Canmoore
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: Walleye opener ready!

Post by Canmoore »

Highway 7 bridge outside of Carelton place is a great place to catch crappie from shore!
emeraldpirate
Participant
Participant

Post by emeraldpirate »

You can catch crappies at Petrie island around submerged brush and trees as well as inlets off the Rideau river near Kars. I've also caught a nice mess of crappies at Charleston Lake.
Trilynx
Participant
Participant

Post by Trilynx »

Nation River in Casselman is also a great spot for Crappie and they taste a lot better than the walleye from the Nation, if you get a nice walleye in the Nation take your picture and throw it back, unless you like your fish to taste like it's been coated in manure...
Wallyboss
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wallyboss »

Jul0682 wrote:
smitty55 wrote:Off topic I know but it seems to have wandered...
Jul0682 wrote:Yeah I wouldn't eat them as well but always good to know since I've never fished them before
Lol lad, don't be fooled... Those cold water spring Crappie out of the Rideau are fine eating. So are the brown bullhead. The yellow bullhead are never good eating so don't keep them. Their meat is mush.
Jul0682 wrote:Where does one go crappie fishing and are they any good to eat?
For Crappie wait until the river settles down and starts to warm up considerably towards 50°. The locks warm up first. Real early season at creek mouths it can be just a dusk bite for a short run, but as waters warm there is a more sustained daytime bite. It can be a fun tour shore fishing from Long Island to Burrits Rapids and beyond. Just follow River Road. Creeks with bridges are popular spots. Marina docks are worth trying too. :wink: Even big culverts that go into swamps. We used to make a day of it and even brought portable barbecues along. Of course if you're on the water that opens up other areas like bridge piers and back bays. It's totally about water temperature in regard to their locations and activity levels.

Wow awesome to know and thanks :) might sound stupid but what does crappie look like. When I was young we caught alot of sun fish at the cottage and called them crappie but not sure if I'm right and haven't fished it for 20 years.. lol.. I know I'm a newbie when it comes to that... lol

Cheers
[/quote]

Sunfish are called crapets in French but crappies are called mariganes in french , that might be why you are confusing the 2 species.
When hell freezes over, I'll be there icefishing!!!

If you can't stand behind our troops,
Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

Experience is that marvellous thing that enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again
donw
Participant
Participant

Post by donw »

Totally agree crappie are fantastic eating fish. Like em just as much as walleye and they are much easier to catch, especially if you are taking kids out. I don't want to just rip an image and post it here, but here's a link to a Google search page full of images of black crappie. https://www.google.ca/search?q=black+cr ... 48&bih=709.
Don W
Fishing is fun ... catching something is a bonus