Miracle Weight Loss for Flashers/Fishfinders

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
bl8ant
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Miracle Weight Loss for Flashers/Fishfinders

Post by bl8ant »

With all of the added features that comes with a unit like my Marcum LX7 comes added weight. The unit feels cumbersome and for someone who hole hops a lot can become a drag over the course of a day. The following is how I addressed that issue by upgrading from the standard SLA battery to a Lipo "Blue Brick" battery and trimmed the unit's weight by more than half.

The 8000mAh lipo battery lasted 6hrs 52 minutes on my Marcum LX7 today which consumes a whopping 700mA/h due to the LCD screen—average temperature was -5ºc outside. Non LCD units like the Marcum LX5 consume roughly half the amperage at 350-400mAh so it is reasonable to assume 12-13 hours of runtime. For LX7 users that fish long days, perhaps the 9800mAh version would be a better fit. I'll order one and see

The standard 12v 9Ah SLA battery on the scale
weighing in at a whopping 5lbs 12 oz.

The new 12v 8A/h Lipo "Blue Brick" on the same scale
weighing in at a measly 9.9 oz

Weight saved: 5lbs 2 oz. or 50% of the LX7's total weight.
The weight savings on a non LCD based flasher will be higher as a percentage since the unit's overall weight is lower.

Step 1. Order a battery
The "blue brick" comes in various capacities but the only two sizes relevant for this application are the 8000mAh aka 8Ah or the larger 9800mAh aka 9.8Ah. It's possible that the 9800 would be better for a unit with an LCD but time will tell and I'll update this thread. The 8000mAh SHOULD be adequate for non LCD based units. These batteries come with chargers equipped with a light to show state of charge. Red light means dead, amber means halfway and green means full charge. Be forewarned that lipo batteries are quite sensitive to being overcharged. My LX7 has a voltage meter and I know the battery is fully charged at 12.6 v so I shut it down at that point.

To avoid brokerage fees and the high exchange rate, I ordered mine from amazon.ca but better deals might be available so shop around.
This is the 8000mAh model
http://www.amazon.ca/dp/B015RKEKAI/ref= ... 5157053535

9800mAh model here
http://www.amazon.ca/SINEDY-Li-ion-Rech ... ds=9800mAh

Step 2. Wait
It took 3-4 weeks from order placement until the battery was at my door.

Step 3. Cut and splice power wire
There are two cables coming out of the battery. One cable fits/connects to the supplied charger and one doesn't. Cut the cable that doesn't fit the charger to expose 2 tiny wires (one red and the other black)

Step 3. Buy and crimp on 2 of these
I bought them locally at Gervais electronics
http://www.gervaiselectronics.ca
Simply crimp one of these on the black wire and one on the red wire and now your are able to connect the battery to your fish finder.
I used shrink wrap after crimping, perhaps soldering wouldn't be a bad idea but not mandatory.

Step 4. Charge the battery and go fishing

Because the new lipo battery is much smaller than the original it floats in the battery tray. I just cut some insulation foam that I had lying around to fill the empty space without adding much weight. Notice the charging cable comes out the back just like the original! No modification needed.

Notes and tips

- There is a switch on the battery to turn it off and on. To accept a charge, you must simply turn it to the on position.
Charging the battery with the switch in the off position will not work

- Lipo batteries are quite sensitive to overcharging and while the supplied charger turns green when a full charge (or close to one) has been reached, I don't believe it shuts off.
The LX7 comes with a volt meter and a full charge for these batteries is when the voltage reaches 12.6 v. Overcharging these batteries even once can render them useless. They charge so slowly that unless you forget them on the charger it shouldn't be an issue.

- because the LX7 is so light now the balance is different. Because the weight of the LCD screen was counterbalanced (and then some) by the heavy battery, the unit's balance point has been altered dramatically. Carrying the unit by the hard handle rather than the handle on the soft pack ensures it won't fall out face down. The reduction in weight is well worth this side effect for me.
Last edited by bl8ant on Sat Feb 27, 2016 9:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bassman1144
Participant
Participant

Re: Miracle Weight Loss for Flashers/Fishfinders

Post by Bassman1144 »

Great initial review of this battery. This will also benefit people who go on fly-in fishing trips where reducing weight means possibly saving money. That is 4lb's more you can bring in tackle or beer. Keep us posted with the performance.
Oneeleven
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Oneeleven »

No fear of this shorting out (or otherwise damaging) the unit?

I have a HB Ice 55 and am also a hole-hopper. Aside from the fact I can feel good about the extra worked out, I hate the weight!
CNs
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by CNs »

At 55$ buy two and never worry about running the battery down
bl8ant
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by bl8ant »

The wiring from the unit to the battery isn't tampered with so still the fuse remains between the battery and unit.
I'll have the unit out all day tomorrow and will report back on how the battery lasts.

These batteries have gone for as low as $25 America on eBay
Out4trout
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Out4trout »

New battery looks to be a good idea Sean.
Just want to caution people reading this thread... if going this route, be sure to use the supplied Li Ion charger - not the original Lead Acid charger. (Lithium Ion batteries should never be charged with a charger that is not designed to charge a Li Ion battery, for safety reasons.)
Last edited by Out4trout on Fri Feb 26, 2016 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bl8ant
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by bl8ant »

Very true about the charger-luckily the Marcum charger port doesn't match up to the charging port on the battery so no danger there. Not sure about other sonar brands.
Out4trout
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Out4trout »

If your results are good - I might pick one of these up for my Vexilar.
Lead acid is rather antiquated... especially on low current devices.

Thanks for sharing the idea.
rodbreaker
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by rodbreaker »

I have a lot of exp.with lipo batts.
Just be carefull
charging these,they can be extreme fire hazards!Use a proper lipo charger and charge the lipo in
a can,like a coffee can etc..Seen a lot of lipos catch fire even when charging the proper way.
They are also very prone to damage from being droped or even the s
ightest ding can damage them.But I like the idea,great idea.
Dirty....mean....mighty unclean.
bl8ant
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by bl8ant »

Runtime tested and posted at top of thread in red
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

Thanks for sharing this, some may take advantage!

RJ
kliven
Participant
Participant

Post by kliven »

This is a great idea! I actually took a page from your book, but instead of buying the "Blue Brick" Lipo battery, I got the Wuhai portable battery battery pack/jump starter:

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00WPJ ... UTF8&psc=1

For the price, it has a huge battery life, and it can charge your phone, laptop, or most other electronics. Given its 13600 mAh battery life, it should be able to run a 600mAh fish finder for 22 hours! I also bought a male DC power connector (https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00V7S ... UTF8&psc=1), and connected it onto the fishfinder wires. This allows the cable that comes with the battery to be linked to the fish finder.

I just tried the whole set up now, and everything seems to be in working order. Now I just want to see how it performs on the water!