Silver lake and little round lake

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Trilynx
Participant
Participant

Silver lake and little round lake

Post by Trilynx »

Went out yesterday and tried my luck on Little round lake and Silver lake. Anybody ever have any luck out there?? Checked with the camera and didn't see any movement.

Little round isn't very big so we drilled some holes in varying places. Only thing I saw that was interesting were the tubes in the bottom from worms. Marked zero fish on the flasher either.

Silver lake, drilled some holes on the north side of the island from 8 feet to 75 feet of depth, marked one fish in 50 feet, got it to come up to my lures six times or so with no strikes. It was my second time out to silver lake and the second time with no fish. just curious as to others success rates out there.

As alaways good times were had just no fish to be seen!!

Steve
scarkner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Re: Silver lake and little round lake

Post by scarkner »

Be really careful on Little Round Lake - Very high currents right at the entry point as there is a big culvert there. I have heard that there are good but very shy brookies in there, rumor is that the brookies like very small presentations, bright and with worms (?).

Silver Lake - Sigh...

Yes I have had luck on Silver Lake, got a nice 10 lb trout there this spring and we have had very sporadic luck ice fishing. The lake is highly driven by the huge schools of baitfish that circulate through it all winter. If you are on the baitfish then hold onto your rod, otherwise you are in for a long boring day.

Strangely, the lake is packed with panfish in the summer, but i have caught only 1 small perch in several years of ice fishing there.

It is a lake that is so fun in the spring and summer, but continues to puzzle and frustrate me in the winter.

By the way - How thick was the ice? I was hoping to go to Silver in mid-to-late March, but depends on ice thickness of course. Silver Lake freezes very late in the year. There have been times when I found only a skim of ice on it, even though we were on the ice with trucks in Ottawa.
Trilynx
Participant
Participant

Post by Trilynx »

Worms for round lake make sense, since those tubes in the bottom at the far end are formed by worms from my understanding (not earthworms but worms). The ice was solid on both lakes, though I know what you mean about little round as there was some open water near the culvert, but after careful testing (axe and auger) it was all good (8" plus). Silver Lake had approx 10-12"

Steve
Maple
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Maple »

There are some underwater springs on Little Round that affect the ice. Found some by the north shore.

Silver is a funny lake. I have been skunked there many more times that I have caught fish.
ganman
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by ganman »

Little Round Lake has not been stocked with Brook trout since 2012 and they were yearlings then. Brookies have a life span of 3-4 years so its pretty certain there are none left from that last planting. Its not likely they spawn in there either. It was taken off the stocking program because of public access issues.

The culvert is the ponds outlet.
scarkner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by scarkner »

Has anyone been out to Silver Lake, or other lakes in the area lately?

I am hoping to get out on Silver Lake this weekend, I was wondering if the ice on the smaller lakes is holding up well.

Thanks!
swampsinger
Participant
Participant

Post by swampsinger »

Trilynx wrote:Worms for round lake make sense, since those tubes in the bottom at the far end are formed by worms from my understanding (not earthworms but worms). The ice was solid on both lakes, though I know what you mean about little round as there was some open water near the culvert, but after careful testing (axe and auger) it was all good (8" plus). Silver Lake had approx 10-12"

Steve
Those holes or tubes could be made by burrowing mayfly nymphs.