Using Vexilar FLX-28 (or any flasher) on open water

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Grizzly Grub
Participant
Participant

Using Vexilar FLX-28 (or any flasher) on open water

Post by Grizzly Grub »

I'm curious to know if anyone really uses their ice fishing flasher in open water?

I do have a proper Lowrance Sonar/HDI for open water but was thinking about utilizing my flasher. I tried doing a little research on it but didn't have a whole lot of luck, was just getting redirected to ice fishing forums for the most part. I did check Vexilar's website and they do sell "open water conversion kits" which basically consists of a bracket, wiring to boat battery, and one of either two styles of transducers (puck/high speed) but not a whole lot of information other than that. Just wondering if any or all of that kit is really necessary? The FLX-28 already has it's own battery, with more than enough juice to get you through a day on the water, has it's own case you can easily just sit on bench, last but not least just use the transducer that came with it...or is their something special in regards to the transducers sold in the "open water kits" (I've emailed Vexilar, but haven't heard back yet).
All I was thinking in regards to using my Vex on open water would be for jigging on those ultra calm water days, as I'd imagine a flasher would prove difficult if your bouncing all over the place.

Any thoughts on the subject?
ImageImage
swampdonkey
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: Using Vexilar FLX-28 (or any flasher) on open water

Post by swampdonkey »

I have used my ice 45 unit in the boat for jiggin' and it does work!I've caught a few fish with it, also have proper fish finders on the boat but I like the flasher much better so it decided to give it a whirl and it worked very well its just a pain on a windy day like you said! In my eyes whatever you have most confidence in works the best! If you trust your flasher over your other units just go for it it shouldn't disappoint
Wallyboss
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wallyboss »

There used to be a setting that you could use to stop the depth from changing because of waves. Not sure if the FLX-28 has it, I think it was called "Bottom Lock" or something similar.

Sorry I just went online and it says that Bottom Lock is not available on FL-20 and FLX-28
When hell freezes over, I'll be there icefishing!!!

If you can't stand behind our troops,
Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

Experience is that marvellous thing that enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again
toobinator
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by toobinator »

The standard transducer that comes with the FL28 is not a high speed transducer. It will work fine as long as you are stationary or nearly so. To use the unit at speed you need the conversion kit which as stated is basically a transducer and bracket.

Ed
Save a bass. Eat a chicken
Grizzly Grub
Participant
Participant

Post by Grizzly Grub »

Thanks for the few replies guys, appreciate it. A little surprised that not many had much to say about it, I'm guessing most guys just don't use flashers in open water. Alls good though, I'm going to give it a whirl either way as is (without buying a conversion kit)

Vexilar did get back to me, most of which I already knew but figured I'd post the response in case it was of any interest to some peeps.

""Thank you for your interest in Vexilar.

To determine which transducer to get depends on where you’ll be using the flasher the most. High speed or transom will be fixed at the back of the boat where the puck is either for the trolling motor or to shoot thru the hull of a glass boat. You may use it over the side of the boat if it’s calm and you have two anchors to try to keep the boat still. We have vertically jigged by using a musky rod and rod holder. We place the transducer rubber stopper on the 2nd or 3rd eyelet of the rod and lower the rod into the water with the rod holder. This way it keeps the transducer far enough away from the boat to enable you to use longer rods.

Please note that it may be challenging as open water in not as a controlled environment as ice…""

On second thought....I'm thinking the last thing guys on here want to talk about at this point is anything "ice fishing" related, bring on BASS SEASON!
ImageImage