Thunderstorm fishing

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
kliven
Participant
Participant

Thunderstorm fishing

Post by kliven »

Just curious, what's everyone's experience in fishing before or after thunderstorms? Which do you find is generally better?

Of course, I'm assuming that no one here fishings DURING a thunderstorm :P That would be crazy!
fishin mission
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Re: Thunderstorm fishing

Post by fishin mission »

My experience has been just before the storm rolls in the fish turn on like there never going to eat again!
Super
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Super »

Always before the storm fishing gets good and then if it will be a major storm, the fishing gets great. That is why people take chances with their lives and stay out too late. Better to get off the water when you see the storm coming. Lightening may be ahead of the rain so do not wait for the downpour.
Remember, everyone will have the same thoughts of staying to the last minute and then there will be a line up at the launch and you will get wet and possibly be sitting there hoping you do not get hit by lightening while you wait to pull out. The first guy back to the launch is always the guy that will have trouble getting his boat on the trailer.
One folktale is that pike will not bite for 24 hours after a thunderstorm.
David
Kerrazy
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Kerrazy »

Big big big fish put on the frenzied feed bag before a thunderstorm! Afterwards I suspect they are truly exhausted from stress, the water is now stained and unsettled (debris, different odours from incoming streams and spillways) and do not strike. Just my thought.
Kerrazy

"Everyone should believe in something. I believe I'll Go Fishing!"- Thoreau
I'd like to thank my sponsors:
Interac - Be in the Black
Jerry, my neighbour, who foolishly leaves his shed and truck open, so I can try all the latest gear!
Oneeleven
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Oneeleven »

fishin mission wrote:My experience has been just before the storm rolls in the fish turn on like there never going to eat again!
^ this! :mrgreen:
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

Yup,

I find great fishing right before the storm and it shuts down afterwards.
Moosebunk
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Moosebunk »

When I used to fish largies a little, the best day I EVER had was from my float tube when a nasty thunderstorm blew me right down the lake. I was laughing, crying, freaking and catching bass after bass after bass the whole scary way through it :lol:
Hosseye
Participant
Participant

Post by Hosseye »

Moosebunk wrote:When I used to fish largies a little, the best day I EVER had was from my float tube when a nasty thunderstorm blew me right down the lake. I was laughing, crying, freaking and catching bass after bass after bass the whole scary way through it :lol:
Funniest post, made my morning, Thanks !!
Relic
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Relic »

Before is good for sure, but its not just the 30 minutes before. The hours ahead of a storm can be very productive.

After...well...see avatar.