Solo boat launching?

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Trout_83
Participant
Participant

Solo boat launching?

Post by Trout_83 »

Hey everyone,
So I'm just looking for some input here about launching/retrieving my fishing boat solo. I just picked up my first boat. It's a 16ft aluminum side console, 75hp outboard fishing boat with a bunk trailer with load guides. I'm hoping to get out this weekend to catch some Lakers up in Quebec. I'm probably going solo this weekend... . Am I over my head to launch and retrieve my boat solo? If you have any advice, tips or tricks let me know. Also, if anyone has experience with launching boats and wants to get out for some flat line trolling for Lakers on 31 mile lake this sat PM me.
2007 Crestliner Fish Hawk 1600, 75 Merc, Terrova iPilot
CNs
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: Solo boat launching?

Post by CNs »

The most important thing about boat launching is preparation.

Have a routine/checklist for launching.

1) I load everything into the boat away from the ramp. Nothing worse than showing up to a ramp and some clown has decide dto park right at the water then start removing covers and loading his boat while others are waiting to use the ramp.

2) Once you are loaded here is where the routine helps. Before launching makes sure you are ready. I start at the front. I check the winch is set properly, i walk to the back, release the tie down straps, CHECK THE PLUG IS IN PLACE! Remove motor support CHECK THE PLUG AGAIN! Check the power is turned on. If launching by yourself - is the rope attached to the boat long enough to let the boat float off and be tied to shore/dock etc?

3) back the boat in let it float off. If boat is still attached to winch strap, release winch strap. Tie off boat to dock/shore Drive the truck.trailer away and park it.
4) grab the rope - pull boat to dock/shore.
5) get in boat
6) go fishing

one more thing. Make sure motor will start before driving to lake. I have seen dozens ob guyd who go out thehe first time without trying the motor. They launch the boat and find

1) dead batteries no gas or
2) motor just won't start.

This now blocks the ramp again as they now have to pull the boat out.

It does not mater how experienced you are, always expect something to happen

en and be prepared to deal with it.
Most of us have forgotten to:

PUT IN THE PLUG
Remove a tie down strap
Remove the motor support
forgot the safety shut off switch or forgot to attach it
Showed up with dead batteries (John)
Forgot the boat keys
Forgot the life jackets ( if you have to take them out to fry them )
Run out of gas on the water

I have done all of these things except the dead battery thing and the boat keys ( I have a spare set in a tackle bag)
Daboss
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Daboss »

My Dad used to launch his 16' fiberglass with a 70 hp until he was over 70 years old.
Damn right I'm good in the sack...I can sleep for hours!
mblaney
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by mblaney »

I launch my 19' inboard solo with no help. Remove winch and attach your bow line to somewhere on your trailer where there is enough slack for the boat to float off (basically the length of the boat) - I just tie it to the winch. Back in slowly until boat floats off; slowly drive forward and let the bow line tug the boat back to shore behind the trailer. Once you can reach the boat from shore just untie and pull it up on shore, dock whatever. I can launch mine with no dock and keep my running shoes staying dry.

To pull the boat out just back the trailer in, push the boat out behind the trailer and then pull it in using bow line. I prefer not to put the trailer too far out, use the winch to drag it up the last few feet. You will find it much easier if your guides are showing a little. Check current and wind direction first - that will determine what side of the trailer you start from - you want the current to float the boat past the end of the trailer, not fight against it.

My launch time solo is 1 minute out, about 2 minutes in. The only trick here is you don't want momentum; too fast and you could loose your bow line or your boat will rear-end the trailer.
Wallyboss
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wallyboss »

Google it, lot's of videos showing you how to do it. But CN and Mblaney explained it pretty well.
When hell freezes over, I'll be there icefishing!!!

If you can't stand behind our troops,
Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

Experience is that marvellous thing that enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again
Super
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Super »

I am busy on Saturday but if you want to practise launching locally this evening, I am available.
We do not have to go out in the boat. Just practise.
David
Trout_83
Participant
Participant

Post by Trout_83 »

Appreciate all the info everyone... I've got all my batteries fully charged, full gas tank, motor fires up, 2x30ft length line, life jackets in the boat, plug is in... Just gotta remember my keys and my humminbird.

Thanks for the offer super , but unfortunately busy tonight.
xped
Participant
Participant

Post by xped »

I was in your position just about the same time a year ago. I even posted the same request for advice as you did! :D

Lots of useful info above that does not need repeating. I'll just add my tips:

- practice when the launch is not busy. Saturday morning is the wrong time to learn! I went out by myself mid-week last spring to try things out.
- have a written check list of the activites in a particular order...one for unloading...one for loading. Don't assume you'll remember anything when your brain's doing something new for the first time!! :lol:
- for loading the boat on the trailer, I now always put hip waiders on. It's much, much easier to simply get in the water and guide the boat on than trying to do so with a line. My first time out was a very windy day on Mississippi Lake...it was easy to launch but I could not for the life of me get the boat on the trailer with the rope. The stern kept fishtailing out as the water and wind blew it around. I ended up spending far too much time and energy trying to do so...and in the end, I had to jump in anyway. Spring water is cold!!!! It takes no time at all to put waiders on when retrieving your vehicle to go back to the ramp.
- Take your time and do things very methodically. Scrambling will cause mistakes to happen which will cause bigger headaches in the end.

Biggest tip: If you have people waiting behind you and you need help...ask! We've all been there before and know the anxiety that comes with doing this for the first time. Most people would rather help out than watch a poor soul struggle.

After the first few times, you'll learn what works and what doesn't. Took me about 5 times before I totally felt comfortable launching by myself.

Good luck!! 8)
CNs
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by CNs »

xped wrote:I was in your position just about the same time a year ago. I even posted the same request for advice as you did! :D

Lots of useful info above that does not need repeating. I'll just add my tips:

- practice when the launch is not busy. Saturday morning is the wrong time to learn! I went out by myself mid-week last spring to try things out.

Great Idea!

- have a written check list of the activites in a particular order...one for unloading...one for loading. Don't assume you'll remember anything when your brain's doing something new for the first time!! :lol:
- for loading the boat on the trailer, I now always put hip waders on. It's much, much easier to simply get in the water and guide the boat on than trying to do so with a line. My first time out was a very windy day on Mississippi Lake...it was easy to launch but I could not for the life of me get the boat on the trailer with the rope. The stern kept fishtailing out as the water and wind blew it around. I ended up spending far too much time and energy trying to do so...and in the end, I had to jump in anyway. Spring water is cold!!!! It takes no time at all to put waders on when retrieving your vehicle to go back to the ramp.
- Take your time and do things very methodically. Scrambling will cause mistakes to happen which will cause bigger headaches in the end.

Once you learn the next step is to never ever get your feet wet!

Biggest tip: If you have people waiting behind you and you need help...ask! We've all been there before and know the anxiety that comes with doing this for the first time. Most people would rather help out than watch a poor soul struggle.

I don't know why guys are afraid to ask for help. Xped is right, most people at the ramp are more than willing to help. They all were in the same position (learning) at one time.

After the first few times, you'll learn what works and what doesn't. Took me about 5 times before I totally felt comfortable launching by myself.

Good luck!! 8)
Makes no difference what size of boat - the principles are the same.

Now when I launch solo I use retractable dog leashes to tie the boat up to the dock. I thread the clip end through the dock cleats, clip it onto the boat cleat, drop the boat in and watch it retract to the dock. Don't have to worry about ropes as the leashes retract. Just drop it into storage.
StarTzar
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by StarTzar »

CN wrote:
Now when I launch solo I use retractable dog leashes to tie the boat up to the dock. I thread the clip end through the dock cleats, clip it onto the boat cleat, drop the boat in and watch it retract to the dock. Don't have to worry about ropes as the leashes retract. Just drop it into storage.
This is one heck of a good tip.
BAA - 2016 Team 18 (10 shy of 28)
Renegade Bass - 2013 Team 67 - 2014 Team 28 - 2015 Team 51
BAA (Great organization) 2011 and 2012 Team 7
JZ
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by JZ »

StarTzar wrote:
CN wrote:
This is one heck of a good tip.
X2
I launch solo 90% of the time and after a few gong shows its a piece of cake now. The only issue I sometimes have is when I tie my bow line off and back off the trailer the line will sometimes get snagged up on a trailer roller which is a pain. The dog leash might be the ticket.
Kerrazy
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Kerrazy »

Not sure how you are at backing up a boat trailer... That is a challenge for a novice as much if not more than loading the boat on the trailer.

Pro tip: place your hand at the bottom of the steering wheel 6 o'clock position and if you need to go left, go left. If you need to go right, go right. Use your mirrors and practice backing up with just your brake lights as Rear lights at night. As that is all you have on the rear of your trailer.

Good luck, and be safe!

I also like a floating launch line (bow line). And make sure
It is actually attached!
Once launched with my son in the boat and forgot to attach the launch line ... Oops. Luckily he stayed real calm, and more
importantly so did I.
Kerrazy

"Everyone should believe in something. I believe I'll Go Fishing!"- Thoreau
I'd like to thank my sponsors:
Interac - Be in the Black
Jerry, my neighbour, who foolishly leaves his shed and truck open, so I can try all the latest gear!
NMG
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by NMG »

I usually just leave my boat hooked up to the winch strap but I let out a bunch of slack so that the boat can float off the trailer. Backing up slowly, I watch for the boat to float free of the trailer. At that point I put the truck in park with the e-brake on, hop out, head back to the winch, pull the boat in, unhook the winch strap, then give it a good push back out while holding the bow line. Once it's clear of the trailer, I just walk it over to the dock to tie up, or I pull it up on shore if there is a suitable spot. Depending on the angle of the launch, I may or may not get a bit wet when I unhook it from the winch. I usually always wear shorts and sandals when I'm fishing so it's not a big deal to me. I have a 16 footer as well and my boat sits nice and low on the trailer between the wheels so it's very easy to launch.

I second what Kerrazy said about backing up with a trailer. If you've never done it before, make sure to practise! Once you get the hang of it it's easy, but it can be very frustrating at first, especially if you are under pressure to launch or load and there is a lineup of trucks waiting, LOL.

Oh and make sure your engine is tilted up, you don't want to be dragging the leg on the bottom of the river or lake when you launch!

My last tip is to pay attention to what's going on around you and to get ready to laugh. Some of the goofiest things you will ever see in your life happen at boat launches, LOL.
Trout_83
Participant
Participant

Post by Trout_83 »

Had no issues at all today. Launched later in the afternoon, had no one waiting so I was able to take my time. It took me a few attempts to get my boat/trailer lined up properly and had to pull ahead and correct a few times, but the hand at the bottom of the steering wheel trick is actually pretty easy to get used to. Loading up the boat was a breeze as well. Just used the bow line to pull the boat up midway onto the trailer and then winched it the rest of the way. Was able to stand on the trailer and keep my feet dry. Didn't get much in the way of fishing done, just had a blast exploring the lake, getting used to the boat and playing around with my fishfinder/chart plotter.
devy
Participant
Participant

Post by devy »

Kerrazy wrote:Good luck, and be safe!

I also like a floating launch line (bow line). And make sure
It is actually attached!
Once launched with my son in the boat and forgot to attach the launch line ... Oops. Luckily he stayed real calm, and more
importantly so did I.
I remember when I just got my fishing rig and practiced launching it for the first time.....attached the rope to the tailgate of my pickup, backed and floated boat off bunks and next thing I realized, the rope got loose and the boat floated away... :o ...It was the end of April and yours truly ended up swimming out about 10 feet fully dressed to get it before the boat floated away and dragged it back to shore with onlookers watching.... :oops: