Looking for basic Crappie advice

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
River Monster
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Looking for basic Crappie advice

Post by River Monster »

So last night i was out in kayak and came across some pretty big schools of crappie in a small bay. I've never really fished for crappie before but thought i would give it try this weekend. so i have a few questions.

-What is too small to keep? (I don't want to be wasting my time cleaning tiny fish).

-lure choice, I really want to keep things basic - do I just use small plastics, cast and reel back, or do i go with bobbers and worms?

-Lure color - Do i stick with natural colors or go with bright colors? - lake visibility is about 8 feet, it's in the Rideau lake system. I'll be fishing Sunday weather is suppose to be sunny with some clouds and warm

Anything advice will help
- Rick Ozga
zippyfx
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Re: Looking for basic Crappie advice

Post by zippyfx »

Three ways you can go:

- Very small tubes and plastics (1.5 inch on small jig heads 1/16 - 1/64ths)
- I have had some luck with small cranks; Think Rapala Ultra Light Crank or equivalent.
- Small worm chunks on a #6 or #8 hook (I like circle hooks); Free lined or with a small piece of shot.

You get better hook sets with ultra light gear.

I would not keep anything below 8 inches. 10 is likely the best size to keep. I leave almost everything over 12 as they are prime breeders.

those 13 inch fish are very old form what I have read.
Super
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Super »

If the fish are even slightly aggressive then usually small jigs work, worms work great the rest of the time.
I often just use the gulp small maggots that look like a string of sausages, use just one link on a jig.
I often use the smallest tube jigs (pink) you can get but some small crappie jigs with tinsel work well too.
I have also used small twister tails that are see-through with some metallic flakes in clear water.
If the crappie are shallow then I suggest a slip-bobber set up, so you do not kayak right over them and spook them.
With the slip-bobber, cast past them and then slowly drag the jig back through the school.
Sometimes a tiny jig works well the same way as they drop so slowly. Cast past the school and drag it through the school.
If they are hanging around a brush pile then a long rod (I use a 9 foot) with no bobber works well to drop the jig through the openings.
Good luck.
Oh and if you need more help, my kayak is ready to go and I am making up my crappie tackle bag today.
And I will be at the Muskie Canada Booth tomorrow (Friday) at Sail between 1:00 and 5:00 if you or anyone else wants to discuss muskies or crappie.
David
River Monster
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by River Monster »

Thanks for the advice, i'm going to hit up some local stores tonight and tomorrow (Super i'll try to swing by sail, I'm always happy to talk musky fishing).

This will be my first go at them, hopefully they are still around in the weekend.
- Rick Ozga
i got worms
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by i got worms »

Ultra light rod and reel, some 1/16oz jig heads, your favorite 2-3" plastics and a size 4 clear blackbird float is my go to rig, very basic. You may have to play with jig depth under your float until you figure out the key depth. They're always looking up so shorter is better. Cover water and don't let your float sit for more than 10-15 seconds. I only get out once or twice in the spring so anything over 8" is going in my freezer for num-nums.
I got 99 problems but a fish ain't one...
Out4trout
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Out4trout »

Here is the advice I recently gave NMG...
http://www.fish-hawk.net/viewtopic.php? ... 7&start=21

Cheers
scarkner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by scarkner »

I find crappie bites can really be triggered by smacking your jig into the bottom a few times. It simulates small bait fish foraging for food. You want the jig to actually stir up little plumes of silt and sand. I will quite often do about 5-10 bottom smacks, then lift the jig maybe 12-18 inches and just hold it there for a minute, then thwack it into the bottom again.

Usually crappie take it just as you start to hover or just as you start to lower the jig.

You can also cast and reel in, again, I try to keep close to the bottom for Crappie, this will also keep you beneath the sunfish and bluegills.

My hands down best lure for crappie is the Slurpies Small Fry in either the Perch or the grey configuration (the pink ones don't seem to work well).

http://www.northlandtackle.com/Category ... af?cat=366

Size varies a lot by lake. For some reason we always catch them in the 12-14 inch range on a certain small lake, but only get them 9-11 inches on a larger lake. Go figure!
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

Some great advice here! Thanks for chiming in fellas. Awesome.

My go to rig is a BPS Magnum Squirt 2 inch tube. Bigger than what most use. I prefer to use a 1/16ths oz head (long shank) and no float. I fish it on slack line and watch for that ever obvious Crappie take on the mono.

4 lb test Mono.

RJ
River Monster
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by River Monster »

Thanks again everyone for all the tips. I had a blast fishing for crappie. Once we figured out what they wanted it was none stop action. I'll post a full report in a day or two, when i have a little more time on my hands
- Rick Ozga