Laker season

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
fishboch
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Laker season

Post by fishboch »

Hi,

Question concerning fish and catching fishing OOS.

One of the lakes that we fish for lakers has recently been producing some nice sized walleyes lately.

It not recognized as a walleye lake and the lake trout season doesn't open until much later.

So the question is, can we fish this lake targeting walleye and releasing any OOS lakers without incident or will we be nailed for fishing a closed lake trout lake out of season ?

We fish pike and walleye on all other waters when musky and bass are still out of season so I don't see any difference.

Comments ?
Oneeleven
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Re: Laker season

Post by Oneeleven »

Funny, the last few weeks it's been the opposite for me. Looking for lakers and trying not to catch oos fish. ;)

If this lake is listed as holding other species besides lakers on the MNR site, and you're not using baits, not fishing depths and areas of the lake that known 'hot-spots' for lakers, you would be fine. Along with immediate catch and release of course.
BrookieJunkie
Participant
Participant

Post by BrookieJunkie »

You're good to go as long as you're targeting walleye!
PunchRig
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by PunchRig »

being perch and crappie are open all year,you can fish any lake legally,if you can launch a boat,,I just suppose if they saw you trolling for perch with leadcore,6" spoons and flashers,they might say something,alot of times,it's really just the honor system,as this time of year,enforcement on the water, is pretty much non-existent.,,I've released lotsa' musky,jigging for walleye in May,can't say I felt like I was breaking the law,and they were alway's little fish,so,I wanted to make sure they got back into the water quickly,for their own sake.