Park La Verendrye......Dozois

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
grizz
Participant
Participant

Park La Verendrye......Dozois

Post by grizz »

Heading to Park La Verendrye June 12 for the first time, with some buddies. Planning on fishing Reservoir Dozois for Pickerel and Pike, was wondering if anyone has any tips on camping spots ( tent trailers ) and spots to hit for fish. Or even different lakes within the park.

Cheers...
Grizz (heading over to the dark side)!!!! :shock:
BradGuenette
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: Park La Verendrye......Dozois

Post by BradGuenette »

I've been fishing the Dozois for atleast the last 10 years, we make the trips every year up to Dorval Lodge. Fishing is great there's miles and miles of water to cover, lots of good fishing around the hundreds of islands. Baie Crazy is a popular spot, also try and make your way into Lac Service, just be very careful when making runs, I've seen too many first timers come back to the camp with a torn up prop or missing lower units. June we are fishing anywhere from 15-20fow trolling three way rigs most of the day, once evening rolls around we anchor down off a sunken point on one of the many islands and start jigging/drop shoting for them. Lots of good eater size walleye in the slot. Biggest walleye for us last year was just over 10lbs.

We also used to camp at Nadagan in the park.

Have a great trip!
Brad Guenette
Swimbait Canada
Wallyboss
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wallyboss »

Did the Walleye Opener at Riviere Des Outaouais campground, just passed Dorval Lodge. We used to fish the Chochocouane River. GPS with depths would be a good thing to have. Lots of rocky areas which is fairly normal for a reservoir. The few times that we went a bit later in the year we headed west from the campground and fished around islands. Make sure that you have a lot of jigs cause you'll lose a pile of them to rocks.
When hell freezes over, I'll be there icefishing!!!

If you can't stand behind our troops,
Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

Experience is that marvellous thing that enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again
Super
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Super »

Definitely Riviere Des Outaouais campground at that time of year. Lots of places to fish that are close enough to the campground if the weather is bad.
Fish early and quit by 10:00 am and go back for lunch/nap then back out for the 4:00 pm run.
As mentioned, at that time of year the fish are at 15 to 20 feet.
If you camp at the Whiskey you will always have a long run in the boat battling huge waves.
Book the sites you need on line now to ensure you get one close to the water if that is what you want.
David
Superdad
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Superdad »

WE fished there in lat 70's when there was a camp ground close to the dam, at first it was great, a generator made the power for the street lights and hot water in the bathrooms. The the Govt decided to diminish the camp ground amenities, so we lost the electricity and the light and the hot water.

What did that mean????? Bears walking down the roads almost 24 hours a day. Coolers had to be locked in the car.

We had campfires at night and the bears would come and knock down the garbage cans less that 40 feet from our fire, of course we couldn't see as the light of the fire made seeing into dark impossible.

We took my small boat up and fished the lake the river from the dam flowed into, my son hit a 6 lber once.

We fished most of the time in the river below the dam with shad darts sans worms and cast into the currents and backwaters, we had 100 fish days - nothing big but a lot of fun. we would lose 40-50 jigs a day, my Dad made them by the hundred's so it wasn't a big deal. You had to be on the bottom.

The cost grew for the daily camping and the fishing and the ride from Montreal was over 6 hours, then my bros in law discovered Hat Bay in the Ontario Out of Doors and we started coming down the 401. It was a lot easier.

Never went back and have not regretted it all - we have better walleye fishing in the BOQ.

F Y I

David aka Superdad
Cyber
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Cyber »

Superdad wrote:
Never went back and have not regretted it all - we have better walleye fishing in the BOQ.
David aka Superdad
Amen to that!!!!!!! :wink: :mrgreen:
If you don't stand for something,
you'll fall for anything!!
grizz
Participant
Participant

Post by grizz »

Thanks for all the suggestions, and we are going to try the BOQ either this summer or on the hard water.

cheers and Happy Easter