Ottawa River: Shipwreck

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
zippyfx
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Ottawa River: Shipwreck

Post by zippyfx »

I thought this might be of interest:

"I am fascinated by maps. Maps can reveal a great many things about our region’s history, especially if you study them closely enough. Current satellite maps, old maps of the city and vintage road maps all reveal details we may otherwise miss from a ground perspective. After scanning an aerial photo of downtown Ottawa I noticed what appeared to be the outline of a ship’s hull along the shore of the Ottawa River."

http://ottawastart.com/mystery-revealed ... awa-river/
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: Ottawa River: Shipwreck

Post by smitty55 »

zippyfx wrote:I thought this might be of interest:

"I am fascinated by maps. Maps can reveal a great many things about our region’s history, especially if you study them closely enough. Current satellite maps, old maps of the city and vintage road maps all reveal details we may otherwise miss from a ground perspective. After scanning an aerial photo of downtown Ottawa I noticed what appeared to be the outline of a ship’s hull along the shore of the Ottawa River."

http://ottawastart.com/mystery-revealed ... awa-river/
Neat story Zippy. Tks for sharing that.

Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
Wallyboss
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wallyboss »

It's pretty easy to spot on Google maps(satellite view). Just look across the river of the Rideau Falls there is a really small island, just north of that island is a creek that passes under Boulevard Fournier. It's just east of the first curve in that creek if you zoom in you will see it very clearly.
When hell freezes over, I'll be there icefishing!!!

If you can't stand behind our troops,
Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

Experience is that marvellous thing that enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

That was a great read.

Thanks for sharing Zippy.
cprince
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by cprince »

Walked by it many times when I used to ice fish the Ottawa. Tried fishing it a few times in the summer from a boat... never a damn thing!

Mystery solved though.. I used to wonder what the heck it was doing there and how it got there!

Craig
scarkner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by scarkner »

That's cool! Love it too see stuff like this on the sat images, but even more fun in person. I think i will have to take a look this summer!
Tip-up
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Tip-up »

Always flip the heck out of it when in that bay but never catch anything lol
rex.stpierre
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by rex.stpierre »

Tip-up wrote:Always flip the heck out of it when in that bay but never catch anything lol
Same here, maybe a bite but no memorable hook ups, I've take pictures of it, but that's about all its good for...
This year I spent most of my money on beer, women and fishing...the rest I wasted.
Oneeleven
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Oneeleven »

Tip-up wrote:Always flip the heck out of it when in that bay but never catch anything lol

Man, you'd think that'd hold fish for sure! :shock:
Yannick Loranger
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Yannick Loranger »

The former MPP for my neck of the woods had access to maps that showed DOZENS of shipwrecks between Ottawa and Carillon. I was lucky enough to find one near Petrie Island. It's snaggy as heck but is almost always good for a couple big fish whether they be walleye, catfish, or sheephead. I've come across other oddly square structures near Rockland Wendover too.
Yannick Loranger
Owner and Head Guide
Ottawa River Guided Fishing
http://www.OttawaRiverFishing.ca
zippyfx
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by zippyfx »

fisherguy33 wrote:The former MPP for my neck of the woods had access to maps that showed DOZENS of shipwrecks between Ottawa and Carillon. I was lucky enough to find one near Petrie Island. It's snaggy as heck but is almost always good for a couple big fish whether they be walleye, catfish, or sheephead. I've come across other oddly square structures near Rockland Wendover too.

Cool....

On that note, a quick Google turned up:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?ll ... CCtg7ur3pk

"Underwater Shipwrecks of the Ottawa River
Dozens of the Ottawa River’s steamboats ended their lives on the bottom of the river, many succumbing
to fire. The Underwater Society of Ottawa, founded in 1963, uncovered many of these shipwrecks using
archival records, diving and dragging techniques. Most of these wrecks were sidewheelers, and many
are familiar names, including the Lady Colborne and the Emerald under the waters of Lake Deschênes, and
the Dauntless, Pontiac and Prince Arthur between Pembroke and Mattawa (Séguin 62?65).  "

Underwater society of Ottawa: http://affairesmaritimes.org/en/underwa ... ttawa.html
Daboss
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Daboss »

"oddly square structures " Probably old logging boom piers from back in the day, as seen in the background of this image...
http://www.histoireforestiereoutaouais. ... /d3-07.jpg
Damn right I'm good in the sack...I can sleep for hours!