Clean a perch in 10 seconds

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Clean a perch in 10 seconds

Post by smitty55 »

Pretty amazing. Never seen it done this way before. It's almost exactly the same way I do Bullhead except it only takes one slice down the back after making a diagonal cut down toward the head from behind the dorsal fin. Takes maybe 5 seconds if the Bullhead cooperates lol.

Smitty

Straight shooter
LifeIsntWasted
Participant
Participant

Re: Clean a perch in 10 seconds

Post by LifeIsntWasted »

That is definitely something to try, will probably take a few attempts though. :lol: Never seen that done before either.
scarkner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by scarkner »

That's pretty cool!
StarTzar
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by StarTzar »

smitty55 wrote:Pretty amazing. Never seen it done this way before. It's almost exactly the same way I do Bullhead except it only takes one slice down the back after making a diagonal cut down toward the head from behind the dorsal fin. Takes maybe 5 seconds if the Bullhead cooperates lol.

Hmmmmmmmmmmm, very interesting.

More people would enjoy (Bullhead, catfish, barbotte) if they knew how easy it was to clean them.

My father in law taught me this method when I was a wee lad of 18.
Had a special pocket knife just for cleaning "barbottes".
Never seen it done on a perch.

If you've cleaned bullhead with this similar method, perch would be just as easy to clean.
I'll give it a shot next time I catch a perch.
BAA - 2016 Team 18 (10 shy of 28)
Renegade Bass - 2013 Team 67 - 2014 Team 28 - 2015 Team 51
BAA (Great organization) 2011 and 2012 Team 7
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

StarTzar wrote:More people would enjoy (Bullhead, catfish, barbotte) if they knew how easy it was to clean them.
You got that right. Specially the brown ones. Helps when they're fresh too. I have rain barrels here so when I get back at midnight they go in with fresh water and last not too bad by morning. The big black bullhead are a different story though as you can't just snap their spines so easily. Need pliers to help skin them. Then I use a small knife to fillet them as they don't cook whole very well with those shoulders. Takes 3 seconds a side. I've also caught the big blacks in deep basin water midsummer at night, and they were still surprisingly good eating and firm.The yellow ones are total crap, soft mushy meat.
StarTzar wrote:My father in law taught me this method when I was a wee lad of 18.
18? Kinda late no? hehe... I grew up in the east end of Ottawa. I can remember fishing barbot in Plantaganet way back in the early sixties visiting my grandparents, and was riding my bike to Greens Creek before my teens from Cummings Ave to down by Sheffield rd in the mid sixties and then in the Montreal rd area after we moved to Beacon Hill. Once I had wheels I fished lots of years real early spring at Taylor creek in Orleans. At times the river was still not even open yet. I'm sure it's still a great spot to fish, but you can't park on the highway anymore. And funny enough, I was fishing them with hand lines way back when I started, and that's still what I use 40+ years later. Still works the best. Some things just aren't meant to change.
StarTzar wrote:My father in law taught me this method when I was a wee lad of 18.
So you married your childhood sweetheart then? Cool.

Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
tbone1088
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by tbone1088 »

Seen this video about 1 year ago. Practiced on about 5 or so perch, started to get the hang of it but now I forget!!! I do remember it is much harder than he makes it look the first few times, especially when you go to remove the skin. I still find it easier and faster to fillet it like a walter, cut at the head towards the tail, skin it and cut out the rib cage.
Salty bone
Participant
Participant

Post by Salty bone »

Cool, I will have to try it!
Doug
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Doug »

I have seen this video a number of times. It is absolutely not a ten second cleaning, not even close. AND it leaves the bones in.

But if you fillet a perch, you can have two boneless skinless fillets in about 38 seconds give or take. Ten perch, 380 seconds, etc, and that's with an actual watch keeping time...............

But if you prefer your perch with bones, go for it! :roll:

Doug
wolfe
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by wolfe »

Doug wrote:

Doug
But what about those EYEBALLS, eh Doug? :lol:

Poor Ty was doing his best with a handful of panfish and perch he iced yesterday. Took him FOREVER. No seconds about it...not even minutes. Maybe about an HOUR? :roll:

W.
Thanks, Dad, for taking me fishing when I was a kid.
Doug
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Doug »

wolfe wrote:
Doug wrote:

Doug
But what about those EYEBALLS, eh Doug? :lol:

Poor Ty was doing his best with a handful of panfish and perch he iced yesterday. Took him FOREVER. No seconds about it...not even minutes. Maybe about an HOUR? :roll:

W.
Hey there kiddo! How ya been? Perch fishing this year on "secret" lake has been spotty, and in fact we even tried (GASP!) live minnows last trip.............. :shock:

The offer still stands if you and the crew want to come up for a fish - and I will show Ty how to fillet fish! :wink:

Doug