Family Tripping in BC and Westcoast fishing

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Mike P
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Family Tripping in BC and Westcoast fishing

Post by Mike P »

Myself and family traveled to Victoria BC June 19 to spend a week in Parksville then a week in Victoria. A bittersweet trip this would be, celebrating the life and passing of my 17 year old Nephew who passed a year ago due to cancer, some time to reflect with family, and a chance for me to show my Son some of my old stomping grounds.
Arrived in Victoria at 11:30 am with Dad picking us up at the airport. I at this point I had only one thing on my mind ...fresh halibut and chips with a view of the ocean.

Feeding the seals at Fisherman's Wharf waiting for fish-n-chips from Barb's.

The next morning we all traveled to Parksville BC to spend a week at Ocean Sands. Between my two sisters and their family's, Mom and Dad and friends we had rented 5 units. A great place to spend a week, the units, the pool, the staff and view were top notch and family just made it all the better. Little nieces and nephew's running around all over the place and the nightly bonfires on the ocean with family really made this part of the trip.

Nightly sky lanterns lit nightly in memory of Justin, my sister's son.

On the fifth day my Dad had a nice surprise for me. He had planned a little evening salmon trip for coho with a friend of his. Launching by Hornby Island, this was the view.

After a few hours of fishing we went 1 for 2 landing this 3.5-4lbs coho. I was happy with this fish, it's been 7 years since catching a fish with my Dad.

On the 6th day, myself, wife and Son decided to do an outing to the Englishman's river, hiking and a small amount of fishing.

On the 7th day we headed back to Victoria.

On the 8th day my father planned a salmon outing out to Beachy Head just outside of Victoria with a friend. Here is the view heading out from this harbour.

We are traveling out to the salmon grounds when all of a sudden my Dad's friend hit's the kill switch sending us all off balanced. He starts yelling at us to look in front of the boat. There it was, not ten feet away, a pod of killer whales!!! I scramble to find my camera and turn it on. They were the hardest thing I have ever filmed not knowing where they are going to surface for a quick second.

Unfortunately salmon were caught this day, just not by us, maybe the killer whales had something to do with it! lol

The 10th day myself and Son traveled to the famous Cowichan Lake and river for a day of hiking, fishing, and enjoying the views. Although two small bow's were caught I did not find the cutties and dolly's I was looking for.

The 12th day, my Dad's friend took me out for salmon again. Redemption was the word! Fished for 4hrs when suddenly both rods fired off instantly crossing each other resulting in both fish being lost. There was now a couple new words for the day but at least the view was nice.

The 14th day myself, wife, son, sister and niece went tubing down the Cowichan River for the day. What a fun day, floating down a river enjoying some refreshments taking in all the scenery.

Well at this point I had one more day left and I still have yet to catch a nice fish this trip. The next day the weather was suppose to be terrible with winds up to 30km and picking up in the afternoon. With the weather being how it was suppose to be, I couldn't find a fishing partner to take me out. I remembered seeing a boat rental place.
I woke up at 3am the next morning with winds blowing heavy. Drove out to Pedder Bay were the boat rentals were. Arrived at 4:30am and the dock captain advised me that he could not let me out of the Bay because of conditions. I'm not one to plead in life for anything...but I did. I wanted to go out about 8km outside of the bay over to Beachy Head. After a long conversation { mostly me pleading} the dock captain decides to give me a boating safety quiz of his own. I passed his little test and he decides to let me go outside of the bay on one condition. He was somewhat a weather guru telling me I have about 3hrs before it really blow's up and to be back in the boundary's by then.
I agree. He ask before I leave the dock what is the thing at the end of my rod? My reply...A Spin Doctor lake Ont flasher. Here's the boat I rented, a 17ft with a 50 horse for $30 an hour.

So I head out with a goal...not only was I on a time limit but I also was looking for a salmon old school way with a old school Peetz mooching reel and of course barbless hooks. Head out into the bay thinking the dock fella was nuts, it's beautiful out here. That quickly changed when I rounded the corner reaching the open ocean. In my mind I must of turned around ten times trying to reach my destination. Winds were extremely strong with some big swells and a chop on top of them. This was ocean fishing and a true test of one's boating abilities. For almost the next hour I traveled at half speed getting to where I wanted to be. I seen two other boats out and mine wasn't the size of theirs!
Made it were I wanted to be. I actually had a very had time running one rod and rigger in the rough seas. 20 minutes into trolling, it's too rough for me to even keep a eye on my rod and have to keep my head straight watching the seas...I heard the rod go off just as I was rounding an island, I look back and the rod is pumping like I've hooked into a whale. The boat is positioned perfectly at this point to drift behind the island seeking some shelter to fight this fish. I throw the boat in neutral and grab the rod. The fish peels out line from the old mooching reel as I get throw around in the boat from the waves. For the next 20 minutes I fight this fish. He is probably out 400ft and decides to make a run for the boat. I have had this happen many of times before with salmon on Lk Ont but it's been 20 years since using a mooching reel on a big fish, and it's a whole different ball game when using level winds.
I finally get to see this fish close to the boat when I realize I still haven't unfolded the net yet. So there I am getting bounced around, unfolding a net while holding onto the rod with a big salmon on a barbless hook below. I get the net set up and 30 seconds later is my chance to net this fish. He makes another bolt for it and I lunge to get the net in front of him. I got him and he is so big I have trouble getting him in the boat. There he is in the bottom of my boat...what I think is a Tyee! I'm shaking so bad I think I sat there for 5 minutes just starring, it was a religious experience among the rough ocean, the winds, the mountains in the background, by myself, then let out such a yell I'm sure my Dad heard it back in Victoria!

Conditions are picking up and I decide to get the hell out of there. A fog like I've never seen is blowing in all over. I make it back to Pebber Bay and fish for half an hour and decide to head back to the dock feeling that i accomplished what I set out to do.

Back at the dock, the dock captain says " I told you, you'd get blown off today" , my reply was " And you were right, but as I told you, I only needing a bit of time out" and I showed him my fish! He was quite happy for me and traded me a Spin Doctor for 3 flasher's.
Finally after the dock taking a few pic's we get to weigh this beast. Tipped the scale at 29lbs but not 30lbs. I think this day will forever be my greatest fishing day in life, one I will never forget...man I love saying the word Redemption!

Pic of a halibut, not mine

I brought back 20lbs of fillet, so nice in color

chappee77
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: Family Tripping in BC and Westcoast fishing

Post by chappee77 »

Best post I have read in a while Mike, memorys that
will last a life time for Nathan.
As for your salmon trip, i believe every bit of it...lol
your the only man I know that would pull that one off :shock: :lol: :lol:
See ya on the Big lake, im sure you wont have to work that hard to get into them.
banjo
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by banjo »

Enjoyable read, thanks for sharing. It only takes one fish to star in a fish story, and that's a good one. Fresh salmon...hours old... on the BBQ... yummm.
lapointeric
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by lapointeric »

Great story Mike—well done! Was it too much that I was standing and applauding by the end? :-)

Also sorry to hear about your nephew. That's way too soon. Great tribute with the light.

E
CyrusG
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by CyrusG »

What an awesome report Mike, that salmon must have tasted great
Cy
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

Very good post Mike and a great story. It's a real shame to lose someone that young but at least you will have memories that last forever. Congrats on catching and boating that beauty fish.

Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
Tip-up
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Tip-up »

Awesome report Mike! Thanks for sharin' 8)
ShawnD
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by ShawnD »

Thanks for that report! What a view! :shock:
President of the Ottawa Valley South Bassmasters
http://www.ottawabassmasters.com/
Sourdough
Participant
Participant

Post by Sourdough »

Very nice report. Your pics brought back many memories. Thank you. Did you take in some mini golf in Parksville? They used to have really good mini golf there.
Mike P
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Mike P »

And the water park also! lol
zippyfx
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by zippyfx »

I'll be in in lantzville in about a month I hope I'll have some luck. Eager to try some beach fishing.
riverdog
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by riverdog »

Sorry for your lose Mike. Not sure if its redemption or persistence but good on you! Looks like a beautiful place love to take my kids there someday, if they knew you could hand feed seals they'd want to go tomorrow!
Fishing the St.Lawrence 12 months a year!
Dcaster
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Dcaster »

Super awesome report, thanks for sharing and congrats on that great fish!

Cheers