McKay lake/the pond

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
andrew1234
Participant
Participant

McKay lake/the pond

Post by andrew1234 »

Just looking for some info about this spot. While looking for a fishing spot, I came across a sign saying no swimming at the pond past 2pm. I'd like to know who in forces this and what grounds they have to in force it? Its a park in the city of Ottawa therefore should it not be subjected to the normal rules of no access between 10pm and 8am (or something along those lines)?

I know this not really a fishing question but I would like to do some evening fishing there so it kind of is
Todd B.
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Re: McKay lake/the pond

Post by Todd B. »

I had a quick look and couldn't determine whether it is actually a city of Ottawa park or one maintained by the Rockcliffe community. Given its location, it's probably safe to assume that it's managed and paid for by the home owners within Rockcliffe. With respect to any online searches w.r.t. McKay Lake, it's obvious that the postings are bogus/erroneous. One poster said that they just purchased a cottage on the lake, which could not be the same lake, even though the Google map was for McKay Lake in Rockcliffe.

I would suggest using the MNR's Fish-Online website to locate lakes that provide public access.
"There wouldn't have been any butt kickings if that stupid death ray had worked."
calaboggler
Participant
Participant

Post by calaboggler »

You are right Todd.

"The Pond, just south of McKay Lake, was originally a sand and gravel pit, excavated over the period 1890 to 1949. The Sandpits, as it was called then, filled with water over time. Even during the time of sand extraction, it was a popular swimming hole.

Swimming is allowed in the Pond from June to September between the hours of 7 am to 2 pm. Students are hired during the summer months to ensure that the swimming hours are observed. There is no public swimming in McKay Lake; swimming from private docks is by invitation of the owners only."

The above comes from the Rockliffe Park Residents Association. I kinda want to go swimming there at 3 pm just to see what happens.
campnfish
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by campnfish »

The backyards of the homes around that area extend right to the edge of the water. Through agreements they have allowed a right- of-way for people to continue to swim there. Its technically a conservation area, so I think that's how they regulate the swimming hours.

I have been swimming there 'after-hours' and some kid in a red shirt came up to me and asked me to leave. We just kept swimming and nothing happened. If you do plan to go after hours I suggest you climb the fence (yes, it is fenced in) when you come to the 'T' intersection. To the right is the swim area, straight ahead is the pond/fence, and to the left is a path that goes around the pond.

If you go to the spot I described there is a bit of room on an overhanging tree to put your clothes and towel. You can then swim out and enjoy.