Best pike lures?

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Tonyb
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: Best pike lures?

Post by Tonyb »

I use a 25 lb. test Seguar flurocarbon as a leader and so far, haven't had any pike bite through it. And yes, have had the pike jump right out of the water going for a minnow under a float.
The bigger, the better!
almontefisher
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by almontefisher »

So anyone gonna ask about the carp in the Miss....I would love to see a pic of that cause I was not aware of this either or at least in all my years fishing this area never saw or caught one.
Fishing isn't a matter of life and death....
It's much more important.

ORWL
avidangler
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by avidangler »

I use a 25 lb. test Seguar flurocarbon as a leader and so far, haven't had any pike bite through it. And yes, have had the pike jump right out of the water going for a minnow under a float.
A little something to think about:

I was using 40lb seguar fluro a few weeks back had a pike inhale my lure turn and when I went to set the hook nothing, completely cut my fluro clean. Since then I've started tying 80lb leaders for pike and 100+ for musky. I don't think its common to lose fish on fluro as its the first time its happened to me but the next time it happens it could be a fish of a lifetime so I take no chances.
Money can't buy you happiness but it can buy you fishing gear and that's kinda the same thing.
Bass Addict
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Bass Addict »

1/2 oz Northam White spinnerbait slow roll, thump, thump, thump.....Bang !!!!
There will be an influx of Great Grey Owls in the winter of 2017
tbone1088
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by tbone1088 »

How long was the leader avid? I've had pike hit my bobber and very quickly inhale the bait and roll on it, so when I set the hook my mainline braid was breaking off on his gill covers. Longer leader solves this problem when still fishing, I like to use at least 24inch sometimes 36 if its a big bait and I want to cast it further.
PS the zara spooks are good but an even better walk the dog bait for big pike and musky I like a lot is the badonk a donk, sell them at lebaron for an absurdly good price(6 or 7 bucks when other topwaters are usually double that price for the size of them.)
Gord
Retail Advertiser
Retail Advertiser

Post by Gord »

Sourdough wrote:Thank you for the continued advice. I note that a few responses suggest Zara spooks. Where does one find them in the Ottawa area. The CDN tire in kanata does not seem to have them in stock.
I have them in stock at Bits and Baits.......2 colours......baby bass and bullfrog.......both deadly. :)
I'm a goin' fishin', mama's goin' fishin' and my baby's goin fishin' too.

.......Taj Mahal.... "Fishin' Blues"
Sourdough
Participant
Participant

Post by Sourdough »

Just a quick note to say thanks to everyone who responded on this thread. There are a tremendous number of options, and we will give as many a try as we can. I guess the challenge now is finding time for the water, and cash for tackle :).

Thanks again,
Sourdough
MichaelGA
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by MichaelGA »

Another bit of advice - don't buy all of them and go out fishing - you'll spend all of your time changing lures.

Get a couple of different ones and get good with them.
Sourdough
Participant
Participant

Post by Sourdough »

IMG_20140614_213418.jpg
IMG_20140614_213418.jpg (814.54 KiB) Viewed 2782 times
Our carp. Caught on ultral light ugly stik, 6 lbs fireline crystal, with a 1/4 or 1/8 oz chartreuse jig ( can't remember exactly) with 1/2 a crawler as we drifted up a drop off from 15ish feet to 8ish feet. I assume the jig hit bottom as the rod was in a holder while I was digging in the snack pack for something tasty. I asked the gentleman in the big bass boat next to me if it really was a carp, and he took a close look to confirm it for me. We let him go after weighing him and taking a picture. The young fella holding up his catch had fish of the trip.
rex.stpierre
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by rex.stpierre »

Sourdough wrote:
The attachment IMG_20140614_213418.jpg is no longer available
Our carp. Caught on ultral light ugly stik, 6 lbs fireline crystal, with a 1/4 or 1/8 oz chartreuse jig ( can't remember exactly) with 1/2 a crawler as we drifted up a drop off from 15ish feet to 8ish feet. I assume the jig hit bottom as the rod was in a holder while I was digging in the snack pack for something tasty. I asked the gentleman in the big bass boat next to me if it really was a carp, and he took a close look to confirm it for me. We let him go after weighing him and taking a picture. The young fella holding up his catch had fish of the trip.
Attachments
This is a common carp, I caught it yesterday, I think you have a huge type of sucker there...
This is a common carp, I caught it yesterday, I think you have a huge type of sucker there...
common carp.jpg (92.57 KiB) Viewed 2767 times
This year I spent most of my money on beer, women and fishing...the rest I wasted.
rex.stpierre
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by rex.stpierre »

Common carps look like the picture above, I think you might be holding a monster sucker!!! Interesting catch none the less!!!

I've gotten my best pike with worms trailling a spoon, 10 inch firetiger jerkbaits and 1/2 ounce spinnerbaits....The 10 inch jerkbait is the only lure that keeps the small fish away.

And I have also have my 40lb fluoro leaders cut clean off. It is a horrible feeling, you lose a lure, you lose a fish and you leave a damn lure stuck in a fish...My leaders are always around 24 inches long and they get cut clean off at my bait... I've had it happen with live bait under the ice also.

The thing is, I have had 20 pike days and my 40lbs fluoro leader was never even damaged,. The pike were all about 2 feet long....Some big pike and muskies have ridiculously large, hard back teeth, I think the cut happens certain times, with big fish after a quick turn....

I agree with avidangler, I am not loosing a fish of a lifetime because of 40 lb fluoro. I

I've also reeled in a couple of 40 inch muskies with 20 to 40lb leaders and it worked out....I had a spoon on and I got lucky...
This year I spent most of my money on beer, women and fishing...the rest I wasted.
avidangler
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by avidangler »

How long was the leader avid? I've had pike hit my bobber and very quickly inhale the bait and roll on it, so when I set the hook my mainline braid was breaking off on his gill covers. Longer leader solves this problem when still fishing, I like to use at least 24inch sometimes 36 if its a big bait and I want to cast it further.
PS the zara spooks are good but an even better walk the dog bait for big pike and musky I like a lot is the badonk a donk, sell them at lebaron for an absurdly good price(6 or 7 bucks when other topwaters are usually double that price for the size of them.)
It was an 18" leader and I lost about 4-5" of it. I was able to retie a swivel snap and use the same leader the rest of the day. Like I said it's the first time its ever happened to me so I don't think its common but the back teeth on pike and musky are sharp so I'm not taking anymore chances.
Money can't buy you happiness but it can buy you fishing gear and that's kinda the same thing.
Bis4ben
Participant
Participant

Post by Bis4ben »

Go to when searching for pike would be either the jonson spoon (silver or red/white) which is great alone or set up with a twister tail ... as well as perch live target. I also seem to through a decent amount of spinnerbaits and top water.

Lots of talk about leaders going on. I always use a wire leader for pike ... my question would be if people have preference between the plain (un-coloured) wire leaders or the black?
rex.stpierre
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by rex.stpierre »

Bis4ben wrote:Go to when searching for pike would be either the jonson spoon (silver or red/white) which is great alone or set up with a twister tail ... as well as perch live target. I also seem to through a decent amount of spinnerbaits and top water.

Lots of talk about leaders going on. I always use a wire leader for pike ... my question would be if people have preference between the plain (un-coloured) wire leaders or the black?
I have no preference but all my heavier leaders seem to be black and are nylon coated. I hate it when a fish rolls in braid or light wire and cuts itself. Fluoro and nylon covered seem to slip right off and not cut the fish.
CyrusG
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by CyrusG »

Spinnerbaits and jerkbaits seem to catch me the most pike I've also caught them on walk the dog top water lures.
Cy