Is the gate open now-a-days to a lake that has brown trout?

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
arnpriormike
Participant
Participant

Is the gate open now-a-days to a lake that has brown trout?

Post by arnpriormike »

Just wondering if the gate is open off the 511. If not, I'll go elsewhere and fish. Has anyone been there recently?
Troutskiii
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: Is the gate open now-a-days to a lake that has brown tro

Post by Troutskiii »

Was actually wondering the same thing haven't been up the 511 in the past few weeks. Last I heard the gate might be staying closed :roll:
Todd B.
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Todd B. »

I wouldn't know anything about the gate, but the reports that I have received have indicated that the surface water temps have climbed above what is considered safe for all trout. That being said, they will be a lot harder to catch and released fish will have a significantly higher mortality rate.
"There wouldn't have been any butt kickings if that stupid death ray had worked."
almontefisher
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by almontefisher »

Last time I was up there a few weeks ago it was open but I am hearing rumours that the land owner has gotten a bee in his bonett because of all the crap left around all the time. As for the brown trout I would think you would have better luck finding brown trout at a concert in one of those green go huts!!
Fishing isn't a matter of life and death....
It's much more important.

ORWL
arnpriormike
Participant
Participant

Post by arnpriormike »

You were right. There was a lot of trash and broken glass at the campsite. I cleaned up what I could. There was a couple of people camping in a camper on top of the hill, before the sand pile. I guess it was important for these guys to shoot a shotgun in the air at night. Talk about brain dead. Especially when I can hear the pellets hitting the water beside us at the lake.
People like this make me not want to go there again. The MNR must know where these "trouble" spots are. You would think that they would check these spots every weekend or two. Even just to show officer presence.
The fishing was also frustrating. Not one bite, and I only heard a handful of fish jumping all night. Still have to catch a brown out of this lake.
almontefisher
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by almontefisher »

I have fished this lake for many many years and never have I caught a brown out of it. My buddy did a few years ago and it was proably around 3lbs. The problem with this lake is that the walleye entered into it from another near by lake during increased water level in the spring and now it is a walleye lake. Also stocking of browns have either stopped or been drastically reduced.

As for campers and trash it seems to be the young teen, 20's hangout spot to get drunk and crazy. A sad sight to see for sure.
Fishing isn't a matter of life and death....
It's much more important.

ORWL