Poaching?

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Kerrazy
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Re: Poaching?

Post by Kerrazy »

bradford2 wrote:I wish they would change the wording in the regs then.

As far as the regs are concerned, there is no difference in taking a picture of an OOS fish then there is a 28" walleye from the miss, or a muskie with a conservation license. All must be released immediately.
The regs were drafted long before camera phones, and go pros. I would argue, that snapping a photo is very quick these days, versus the old days, when a fish was dragged home to snap a photo with a 35mm camera.
The piece that Ed brought to light for me was once you have reached your limit of your targeted species, you are not able to fish that species anymore. I know I have been guilty, just for the sport of it. They were always released and I made an assumption, as long as I did not put them on my stringer, I was not breaking the law. Yet I do understand the reasoning of that reg. just the other night, while I was certainly not targeting them, I did catch 3-4 perch ( no biggie I know frankly they were a by catch in my mind) yet two of them swiped at my lure and got the hook in the head (eye area) one for sure was dead after removing the hook, and the other I can not say his health, yet he did swim off on his own. That could easily happen with any fish, targeted or not. So this regulation really does make sense.
Kerrazy

"Everyone should believe in something. I believe I'll Go Fishing!"- Thoreau
I'd like to thank my sponsors:
Interac - Be in the Black
Jerry, my neighbour, who foolishly leaves his shed and truck open, so I can try all the latest gear!
Todd B.
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Todd B. »

Actually you can continue to fish "catch and release" after you've reached your catch limit.
MNR FIshing Regs wrote:If you catch a fish after reaching the daily catch or possession limit for that species, the fish must be released immediately back to the water (see Ontario’s Catch and Retain Rules, page 9). If the limit is zero, anglers may practise catch and release only, and any fish caught must be released immediately back into the water in a manner that does not harm the fish. For some species there are no limits and no reference will be made to a limit in this summary (see Size Limits, page 8).
Now I'm pretty sure this is not the case in Quebec.
"There wouldn't have been any butt kickings if that stupid death ray had worked."
JZ
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by JZ »

Ok let's end this discussion. I have a degree in law but more importantly I have the reading skills of a 9yr old and therefore can interpret the regulations.( and no iam not being a smarta$$ I actually got my 9'yr old daughter to read parts of the regs and asked her questions on it and she passed with flying colours.)
1) you can not take a picture of an oos fish, it must be released immediately. The exception is if you have someone taking a picture as you are unhooking the fish or as you are releasing it.
2) while in season it is perfectly legal to fish for a species even if you have a limit, provided you immediately release said fish.
3) for the most part limits in Ontario are possession limits,so if the limit for a zone or body of water is 4 walleye that is all you are allowed to have that includes your livewell and your freezer at home. If you are fishing multiple zones then provincial possession limits may apply.

RJ is right poaching is a nasty word, it should be reserved for someone who knowingly keeps fish beyond the limit or oos fish. Someone who in the moment of excitement takes a pic of an oos fish is not a poacher. They are violating the letter of the law and need to be careful but it's a different animal. One needs to be fined the other needs to be educated.
Todd B.
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Todd B. »

JZ wrote:RJ is right poaching is a nasty word, it should be reserved for someone who knowingly keeps fish beyond the limit or oos fish. Someone who in the moment of excitement takes a pic of an oos fish is not a poacher. They are violating the letter of the law and need to be careful but it's a different animal. One needs to be fined the other needs to be educated.
Agreed, this discussion has been about what constitutes "Fishing out of season" rather than poaching.
"There wouldn't have been any butt kickings if that stupid death ray had worked."
Streamside88
Participant
Participant

Post by Streamside88 »

i guess it really depends on the situation and on the C.O.... obviously if your being called on and the C.O. is doing its very best to "get " you then your obviously doing something wrong and should be dealt with accordingly...

On a side not i went fishing this week end in a crystal clear lake early in the morning we went out to some points with cabbage patches to catch some pike, witch we did and as i was fishing i noticed bass in there nest in the bay closer to shore and realized why lots of people see no sport in it as it would be extremely easy to entice and sight fish them, ive never seen them like that witch is probably why i was, i guess you could say, surprised/excited with my unintentionally caught bass...

either way i don't fear C.O.'s, i do my part to respect the rules as much as i can.... and i just gained more knowledge, witch is why i posted this in the first place!

again thanks everyone for the input! and good luck this season!