Quick Question

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
jvd-07
Participant
Participant

Quick Question

Post by jvd-07 »

Is it possible to upgrade a conservation licence that I purchased at the start of this season to a sport licence? Or is it something I will just have to wait until next year to do?
Lvace
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Re: Quick Question

Post by Lvace »

Yes you can upgrade anytime just have to pay the 28$. I just upgraded mine to be able to fish the Quebec side of the Ottawa river. Anywhere that sales them can do it for you. I just went to to crappy tire. Edited to be more precise.
Last edited by Lvace on Fri May 30, 2014 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
jvd-07
Participant
Participant

Post by jvd-07 »

Okay thanks for the quick response!
toobinator
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by toobinator »

Not sure what they sold you at Canadian Tire, but we can't upgrade a license. You would need to go to a Service Ontario centre to do that, and not even sure if they would be able to. As well, you can fish the Quebec side of the Ottawa with a conservation license anyway.
Save a bass. Eat a chicken
toned
Participant
Participant

Post by toned »

toobinator wrote:Not sure what they sold you at Canadian Tire, but we can't upgrade a license. You would need to go to a Service Ontario centre to do that, and not even sure if they would be able to. As well, you can fish the Quebec side of the Ottawa with a conservation license anyway.
^Ed's right, but you can't upgrade it, even at service ontario...call MNR and they will confirm

I accidentally bought a conservation license and they won't let me change it

the worse part? I did the same thing last year...yep I have my dumb moments :lol:
the MNR loves me!
MichaelGA
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by MichaelGA »

jvd-07 wrote:Is it possible to upgrade a conservation licence that I purchased at the start of this season to a sport licence? Or is it something I will just have to wait until next year to do?

Go to the MNR website https://www2.on.wildlifelicense.com/start.php

- start the purchasing process, enter your Outdoors card number and then you'll get the option to purchase a 1yr sport license for 28$

Fill in payment details - print the paper receipt and wait for your new card to come in the mail.

Take the e-licence with your current card. It's paper so probably a good idea to print a couple of copies / save to file etc.

No need to wait a year... isn't technology grand!
Lvace
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Lvace »

toobinator wrote:Not sure what they sold you at Canadian Tire, but we can't upgrade a license. You would need to go to a Service Ontario centre to do that, and not even sure if they would be able to. As well, you can fish the Quebec side of the Ottawa with a conservation license anyway.
Yes you can upgrade it for one year and price is 28$ as stated! I have the little yellow slip to prove it and as for the a conservation license on the Quebec side of the Ottawa river is not valid and this directly from the Quebec MNR . I contacted them directly and they told me they only recognize the sport and there explanation is when the law was written there was no conservation license. toobinator if you do not believe me send your email threw pm and I will forward you my emails with them.
toned
Participant
Participant

Post by toned »

Wait, to buy a one year sport license is 28$

how did you upgrade (conservation is 16.46 vs sport 28.89)...the price of the upgrade would of been 12.43$+hst not 28$

I would love to pay the difference and get sport, but everyone I've asked has told me it's not possible
Lvace
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Lvace »

The upgrade is just buying a sport. Kinda sucks but better safe then sorry.
toned
Participant
Participant

Post by toned »

lvace wrote:The upgrade is just buying a sport. Kinda sucks but better safe then sorry.
that's not an upgrade
that's another license altogether
:lol:

but ya, it works
Wallyboss
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wallyboss »

Got to agree with Ivace on the part that the Conservation License is not recognized by QUE MNR on the Ottawa. The reason I got from them was that because the similar option is not available on the Quebec side they did not recognize it.
Last edited by Wallyboss on Fri May 30, 2014 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When hell freezes over, I'll be there icefishing!!!

If you can't stand behind our troops,
Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

Experience is that marvellous thing that enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again
toobinator
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by toobinator »

Wow. Learn something every day. Did not know that about conservation licenses and the Ottawa river.

Ed
Save a bass. Eat a chicken
Kerrazy
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Kerrazy »

Ok I am totally confused and apologize if this details things, but....
Can I not fish the Ontario side of the Ottawa with a Quebec lic. Even if I launch from the ont side.
Kerrazy
Kerrazy

"Everyone should believe in something. I believe I'll Go Fishing!"- Thoreau
I'd like to thank my sponsors:
Interac - Be in the Black
Jerry, my neighbour, who foolishly leaves his shed and truck open, so I can try all the latest gear!
NMG
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by NMG »

I believe you can fish anywhere on the Ottawa River from boat with a Quebec license or an Ontario Sportfishing license (subject to specific closures of course). If you have the Ontario Conservation license, you can only fish the Ontario side of the river, as Quebec doesn't recognize that class of license.

If you are a shore angler, it was my understanding that you need to have the license for the Province you are standing in, although I could be wrong on that.
Last edited by NMG on Fri May 30, 2014 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike586
Participant
Participant

Post by Mike586 »

Like a couple of the other guys were saying, I know a few guys who realized they would be fishing a lot more than they originally planned and wanted to upgrade from conservation to sports. Dealing directly with the MNR it was a no go.

Also, trying to 'upgrade' on the website wont work. If you put in your number and already bought a license, it won't allow you to buy another one.