Report a Poacher

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Report a Poacher

Post by RJ »

He was in the parking lot of Ottawa River not Rideau. Ottawa is Zone 12.

But to answer your question, yes 18 is open.

RJ
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Jimmy_1 »

Thanks!

Don't know why I thought it was the Rideau...
zippyfx
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by zippyfx »

I would do the same but avoid personal confrontation. Best bet is to take a picture of licence plate as they can track them that way.

I would have called the police if he hit me.
jcjgbigras
Participant
Participant

Post by jcjgbigras »

Jimmy_1 wrote:Is the Rideau system not open yet for walleye?
Is it not Zone 18?

Yep. Zone 18 opened for walleye on May 10th.
TheDon
Participant
Participant

Post by TheDon »

RJ wrote:So the guy never actually fished? :lol:

Wow, good times.

RJ
The guy fished after I talked to him (got pictures of that too). Thanks for the response everyone, it's nice to blow off some steam as being a big, short tempered man it took a lot to not snap his rod. I'm also glad that I didn't show him that poachers deserve equal rights (and lefts).
ShawnD
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by ShawnD »

TheDon wrote: short tempered man it took a lot to not snap his rod. I'm also glad that I didn't show him that poachers deserve equal rights (and lefts).
Instead, what you should have done is grabbed it and toss it in a bush somewhere, make it real hard for him to find it lol :twisted:
President of the Ottawa Valley South Bassmasters
http://www.ottawabassmasters.com/
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Jimmy_1 »

I wouldn't advise ever looking for any kind of physical confrontation.

Thats a STUPID thing to do.

You have NO idea what the other person may do.

What if that guy had a knife and decided to shank you?

If you see the law being broken take pics and inform the authorities.

Stay out of it.
campnfish
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by campnfish »

You did the right thing - 'all it takes for evil to triumph is for good men to stand by and do nothing.'

I remember going fishing at Kilmarnock and there would always be a bunch of guys there filling buckets with sunfish and rock bass. If you watched them long enough you would see that they were catching bass (out of season) and slipping them into the same buckets. Every so often one of the guys would go around to the 3 or 4 pails, pull out the bass, and walk to his van.

I called MNR, reported it but they never showed up while I was there (2 hours about).

I run into the MNR very rarely - to the point that I am happy to see them on the water and tell them so. The OPP not so much.....run into some real di*ks out there, think they can bully you around when it comes to fishing and the laws surrounding it.
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Jimmy_1 »

Before I get the "Stupid Jimmy...blah blah"

Please read the following:

http://news.nationalpost.com/2011/10/13 ... slaughter/

Because I knew this man and his son. He too felt he was doing the right thing and the result was tragic.

Therefore I will state again. Call the authorities...don't get involved. You have NO idea what can happen.
TheMaverick
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by TheMaverick »

TheDon wrote:

Wow, good times.

RJ
The guy fished after I talked to him (got pictures of that too). Thanks for the response everyone, it's nice to blow off some steam as being a big, short tempered man it took a lot to not snap his rod. I'm also glad that I didn't show him that poachers deserve equal rights (and lefts).
"You did the right thing"
"I would of done the same thing"
"Good on you"

WTF is wrong with everyone ??? lo0ol
The guy was gearing up, tied on a floating rapala, and you thought it was best to approach him and question his ways by allowing yourself to take pictures of him???
He wasn't even fishing yet???

It's funny to me how you neglected to mention that he caught any fish what so ever, therefore poaching.
If you had time to photograph him while he was swinging his rod at you, I sure hope you have pictures of him catching Walleye to prove this ridiculous spouting!
Because coming back to comment, after the fact that it's been brought up, wouldn't be credible.

In the events you'd have a multi species boat, and you were to navigate pass our boat, for the sole reason that it's a Bass Boat, I'd most definitely give you something worth photographing!

If fishin ain't your mission, then you can kiss my Bass!
Kerrazy
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Kerrazy »

Jimmy_1 wrote:Before I get the "Stupid Jimmy...blah blah"

Please read the following:

http://news.nationalpost.com/2011/10/13 ... slaughter/

Because I knew this man and his son. He too felt he was doing the right thing and the result was tragic.

Therefore I will state again. Call the authorities...don't get involved. You have NO idea what can happen.
Jimmy,
I am sorry that senseless act hit so close to home for you. And you are very correct, given the high prevalence of substance abuse and a self centred disconnected society, these things happen way to often.

On that note, I want to shed some light in the other direction.
Yesterday I met up with StarTzar, behind out favourite dumpster, as he was offering up a fishing rod to pair with the reel I picked up from him previously. Not only did he show up, he came bearing two rods, with his only payment being, that I pay it forward.
So as there are characters out there, there are also great folks who would give you the shirt off their back.
Sorry to head in a different direction on your post.
Kerrazy
Kerrazy

"Everyone should believe in something. I believe I'll Go Fishing!"- Thoreau
I'd like to thank my sponsors:
Interac - Be in the Black
Jerry, my neighbour, who foolishly leaves his shed and truck open, so I can try all the latest gear!
Kerrazy
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Kerrazy »

TheMaverick wrote:
TheDon wrote:

Wow, good times.

RJ
"You did the right thing"
"I would of done the same thing"
"Good on you"

WTF is wrong with everyone ??? lo0ol
The guy was gearing up, tied on a floating rapala, and you thought it was best to approach him and question his ways by allowing yourself to take pictures of him???
He wasn't even fishing yet???

It's funny to me how you neglected to mention that he caught any fish what so ever, therefore poaching.
If you had time to photograph him while he was swinging his rod at you, I sure hope you have pictures of him catching Walleye to prove this ridiculous spouting!
Because coming back to comment, after the fact that it's been brought up, wouldn't be credible.

In the events you'd have a multi species boat, and you were to navigate pass our boat, for the sole reason that it's a Bass Boat, I'd most definitely give you something worth photographing!

Um. That picture has an uncanny resemblance to StarTzar. Not that I have seen that side of him. Lol
Kerrazy

"Everyone should believe in something. I believe I'll Go Fishing!"- Thoreau
I'd like to thank my sponsors:
Interac - Be in the Black
Jerry, my neighbour, who foolishly leaves his shed and truck open, so I can try all the latest gear!
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

Good for you on calling this guy out, and don't let these politically correct folks chastise you for mentioning his nationality, because as we all know certain "segments" of society have no respect at all for the rules that are out there to protect our wildlife. With all due respect to all that do respect our laws, It is far too often that stories like this come out, and quite often it involves the same cultures. I clearly remember back in the seventies every year a bunch of Asians fishing Taylor/Clayton lakes and keeping everything they caught, no matter what the size, and most often seeing stringers of undersize bass where there was a 12 in. limit. We would give them hell, and yes, we told an CO about them, but I don't know if it made a difference other than them using bags to hide their catch. Now it's not limited to them at all for sure, as several years ago I was at Stevens creek for Crappie one evening and there was a European there ( easy to tell by accent) who was keeping small bass and trying to hide them in the shoreline dead weeds. I made a few loud comments about poachers to another guy who was there and after 10 minutes the guy left, leaving the dead bass behind. Now I was tempted to follow him and get a plate number but I didn't, although I probably should have.
Kerrazy wrote:I am not suggesting by any means, what he was doing was morally or ethically correct, but it would have been consumed,
Really?? I don't know how you can justify that statement. Morals and ethics have nothing to do with this, what he was doing was illegal, and he obviously didn't care one bit, as he continued to fish after being told that pickerel were out of season. That's like saying it's not as bad for a poacher to kill a buck out of season if he eats all the meat as opposed to keeping the rack and allowing the meat to spoil. Jeez!
TheMaverick wrote:LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLllloooooooooooooo00000000000000ooooooooooooollllllllllllllllllllllll I'm sorry, I can no longer take this thread seriously! and
So why bother responding then Mav if you don't have something constructive to add? Here's more... "If anything, you would have waited longer by calling the cops.
IMO they have more important things to do then deal with this crap." So I guess you consider poaching "crap"? That's a great attitude for a tournament fisherman.

So again Don, good on you for bringing this up, and yes, please post pics. Lots of guys here shore fish the Ottawa area, and if this guy knows his face is out there maybe he won't be so inclined to poach anymore, because unless he is caught red handed nothing will happen to him.

Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
TheMaverick
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by TheMaverick »

smitty55 wrote:"If anything, you would have waited longer by calling the cops.
IMO they have more important things to do then deal with this crap." So I guess you consider poaching "crap"? That's a great attitude for a tournament fisherman.
Smitty,

That has to be one of your stupidest comment ever!
**REMOVED BY mod**

I'll be damn if I call the cops for this sort of nonsense, when they could be somewhere else saving lives!

I thought that was pretty self explanatory. :roll:
If fishin ain't your mission, then you can kiss my Bass!
StarTzar
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by StarTzar »

smitty55 wrote:Good for you on calling this guy out, and don't let these politically correct folks chastise you for mentioning his nationality, because as we all know certain "segments" of society have no respect at all for the rules that are out there to protect our wildlife. With all due respect to all that do respect our laws, It is far too often that stories like this come out, and quite often it involves the same cultures. I clearly remember back in the seventies every year a bunch of Asians fishing Taylor/Clayton lakes and keeping everything they caught, no matter what the size, and most often seeing stringers of undersize bass where there was a 12 in. limit. We would give them hell, and yes, we told an CO about them, but I don't know if it made a difference other than them using bags to hide their catch. Now it's not limited to them at all for sure, as several years ago I was at Stevens creek for Crappie one evening and there was a European there ( easy to tell by accent) who was keeping small bass and trying to hide them in the shoreline dead weeds. I made a few loud comments about poachers to another guy who was there and after 10 minutes the guy left, leaving the dead bass behind. Now I was tempted to follow him and get a plate number but I didn't, although I probably should have.
Wow, those comments could get you in serious trouble.
BAA - 2016 Team 18 (10 shy of 28)
Renegade Bass - 2013 Team 67 - 2014 Team 28 - 2015 Team 51
BAA (Great organization) 2011 and 2012 Team 7