St. Lawrence River Pike/ Walleye

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
jvd-07
Participant
Participant

St. Lawrence River Pike/ Walleye

Post by jvd-07 »

Hey everyone, I know nobody likes to give away their honey hole but does anybody have some general areas / islands/ shoals to fish in the Brockville, Johnstown or Cardinal area? I don't fish the river all that often so I'm not completely familiar. Also what lures/ set-ups have you guys found that will give me some success?
gatekeeper
Participant
Participant

Re: St. Lawrence River Pike/ Walleye

Post by gatekeeper »

This time of year just look for concentration of boats for Walleye.Jigging with brown grubs for walleye works for me.Pike are being caught in bay west of Grenville Park using usual pike lures(Buck-tails,crank baits,etc.)Cold water causing "Hens" to still be spawning,so,catch &release would be nice(For future opportunities).
theDL
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by theDL »

I'm from Brockville but don't fish here b/c launch parking isn't ideal so I can't tell you what the bite is like here. I go to Gan and do well with pike everywhere using just about anything...they are everywhere and pretty easy to catch. Husky jerk or clackin raps are my go to, but I've not been there yet this year. Cardinal for walleye, right out in the main channel in front of the legion, you will see a bunch of boats there, mine included. Jigs, ripping spoons, worm harnesses and minnow baits have all produced for me. Water's cold, go slow.
Duper
Participant
Participant

Post by Duper »

I grew up in Johnstown and spent a lot of hours on the river throughout the years. You can catch pike any where between Johnstown and Cardinal. Any shoreline or break wall will hold pike. I can't nail down one spot better than the other. Spinnerbaits, 7" Rapala minnows, large crankbaits and Husky Jerks are no-fails for me. They'll likely be in shallower water this time of year. For Walleye you are better off in the deeper water around the launch in Cardinal. A lot of people Jig around the Conastoga but I've had luck just trolling long crankbaits and worm harnesses out a little deeper. Troll in the deeper water anywhere around there and you'll catch some.
jvd-07
Participant
Participant

Post by jvd-07 »

Thanks for the info! I never do much fishing in the spring other then the big Bay of Quinte walleye derby. Been out once so far this year and look forward to much more spring fishing. Just not as familiar with locating fish in the spring.