Manotick Mill

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
SakranMM
Participant
Participant

Manotick Mill

Post by SakranMM »

Hi Guys...I've been spying on the forum since I took up fishing for the first time last summer. Forgive the newbie question here...

I live close to Manotick, and I see lots of posts about people fishing from the mill there. I've been to the mill, but where exactly are people throwing their lines to pull up fish? Are we talking about the calm water at the top of the dam, or down below around the spillway, or both? I haven't seen much except a couple of tiny panfish up at the top of the dam. I'm not asking people to give away their secret honey holes or anything, just a bit of general advice for a new fisherman.

Of course, we're talking about once the ice melts.

Thanks.
fishin mission
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Re: Manotick Mill

Post by fishin mission »

PM SENT.......
nathan.barnard
Participant
Participant

Post by nathan.barnard »

My best advice would be to get a good pair of waders and start exploring.

When I first moved to Ottawa I had no idea where to go and through trial and error, I've managed to find some amazing spots by wading. It will allow you to get away from the heavily pressured spots around the mill and work a little farther down stream.

I don't fish this stretch much but the is a lot of potential. Figuring it out is half the fun.
Marko
Participant
Participant

Post by Marko »

i`ve ice fished the locks bellow the dam and all i`ve got was small perch. I am sure there are some walleye and pike in there as well but they may be a little bit harder to come by.
MTF
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by MTF »

That area is not what it used to be. Back say 10years ago there were decent fish there but now a days with the fishing pressure you are better off on other less fished sections of the river.
Wishing I was fishing
zippyfx
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by zippyfx »

I have fished it over the past two years lightly focusing my efforts June or earlier and September and later.

At the mill I have caught: Walleye, Smallmouth, fallfish, Largemouth, Rockbass, Perch and sunfish…. I have spied carp (4-6 lb rage) and big pike (10 lb range).

Someone showed me a picture of alb walleye caught there in the past couple of years.

I like to fish from the rocks at the bottom pool; With kids on the dam.

Last season the water level in the Rideau was high and I noticed the dam open more often. I think the stronger made the fishing more challenging.
Farlane94
Participant
Participant

Post by Farlane94 »

i go to the mill once and a while from barrhaven and i have yet to catch anything, saw a couple of smallies in the calm water on the top but it was spring so i couldnt target them. Got a pair of waders this year and am gonna explore the rivers in my area :)
scarkner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by scarkner »

I have done very well in that area fly fishing the shallow water (in summer, I just go in wearing shorts and water shoes). There are lots and lots of bass that tuck in behind and sometimes just under the rocks.

Streamer or floating flies drifted down the shallows do wonders.

I have actually had other people get mad at me (and other fly fishers) in the past because they were fishing with regular spinners, bobbers, whatever, getting nothing. But with the fly rod I was pulling out fish after fish. I see a lot more people fly fishing now.

In summer when water levels are lower, the long island locks, west side at the damn is also shallow and full of bass.

They are small. If you are going out for a fun time of catch and release. If you are looking for larger keepers, probably need to look elsewhere.
Todd B.
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Todd B. »

I'd have to agree with a number of posters regarding wide variety of fish that can be caught ht. I haven't seen any pike, though I have seen some good sized Muskie there. The best way to fish it (and most of the waters around the city) is to done a pair of waders and explore. Most people that are chucking lures don't realize that most of the water is very shallow and/or full of structure to snag up on. With regards to fly fishing, it's definitely the way to go, but then again I'm biased towards it . ;-)
"There wouldn't have been any butt kickings if that stupid death ray had worked."
Placide
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Placide »

Even better, find a cheap canoe that doesn't leak much, and launch it everywhere that you can, go explore..... I have a Sportspal that I throw on the top of my rust bucket truck and have found all kinds of different spots to fish.

The mill is great, but yes a lot of people fish there. I have caught, pan fish, carp, bass, pike and even seen a muskie or two swimming around there. Go explore and have fun doing it, that's what fishing is all about!!!!!!
Lvace
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Lvace »

Big city fishing did a show on Ottawa and there was a section on the Manotick Mills

http://youtu.be/3_U9UmphHAs

go to the 2:05 and its the Mills
SakranMM
Participant
Participant

Post by SakranMM »

Thanks for the tips, everyone.

Last summer, I spent a little time fishing at the top of the dam with no luck. I did locate a path to the left of the war memorial (close to the other bridge), and took it down to the water. I was fishing around the pilings of the bridge, but I kept getting snagged on the rocks.

This year, I definately want to get some waders and explore a bit more, especially around that little grassy island that sticks up in the middle of the water.
Todd B.
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Todd B. »

If you're going to wade it, a pair of studded wading boots and a wading staff are essential as the rocks around the mill are slick as snot.
"There wouldn't have been any butt kickings if that stupid death ray had worked."