Ice augering question

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Stinger95
Participant
Participant

Ice augering question

Post by Stinger95 »

I hit the ice this weekend and an interesting thing happen when i was augering a hole in the ice. I was drilling and when i broke through the bottom of the ice there was a loud wheening noise and air pushed up hard under pressure for about 6 or 7 seconds, followed by a suction that sucked all the shavings back down the hole.

This ever happen to anyone else, does anyone know what might have caused it? Im assuming i drilled into an air pocket of some kind, but this was a first for me. It definetly made me jump as the ice was amost 2 feet thick and my face was pretty close to the hole when it happened :o .

On the plus side the spot was a winner. I hit on several schools of Jumbo perch with a few walleye mixed in.
Thanks,
fishin mission
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Re: Ice augering question

Post by fishin mission »

i've had that happen to me before but never made nothing of it.... there was a good 2 feet of ice but your probably right on the air pocket not 100% sure.
avidangler
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by avidangler »

I've done the same thing except I didn't get the self cleaning hole part. I can't say for sure but an air pocket would be my best guess as well.
Money can't buy you happiness but it can buy you fishing gear and that's kinda the same thing.
RyanW
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by RyanW »

Last edited by RyanW on Mon Apr 25, 2016 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
613 Ice Fishing
On Facebook
Doug
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Doug »

My guess is a drowned warlock..............