humps

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
clint
Participant
Participant

humps

Post by clint »

hi,
just trying to get a few opinions on where best to set up around a mid lake hump like this one that rises from 12 feet right in the middle of the picture.

should i be right on top of it? around the edge of it? close by but still outside of it?

i don't even know if this hump holds fish but came across it when looking at maps for structure.
Daboss
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: humps

Post by Daboss »

A lot depends on the winds and currents and angle of the sun.
Damn right I'm good in the sack...I can sleep for hours!
Bassassins
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Bassassins »

Also what species are you after? Fishing or tip ups?
http://www.facebook.com/TheBassassins
Field Staff - FISHBUM Outfitters, Angler's Choice, Streamside
#ExistToFishCanada #LiveYourAdventure
clint
Participant
Participant

Post by clint »

Species wise I'd lean more towards panfish probably.
And both jigging and dead sticking, trying to find a new place for my shack, the usual spot for me has gotten busier than I like this year.
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

I'd be fishing it a few times before picking a spot for the shack that's for sure. Get as many buddies out with ya as you can and cover the whole thing.

RJ
clint
Participant
Participant

Post by clint »

Oh ya definitely going to fish it before just wondering where best to start was all.
MichaelGA
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by MichaelGA »

Really need more information to be honest.

What are the other countour lines? ie. are the two black squares rocks or waypoints?

Is that a drop off just north of the hump?

What is in the lake for fish?
- this determines how far the fish move
What are the max / min depths nearby?
- nearby depends on the type of fish

as mentioned what are the currents like.. is there an 'in' and 'out' river etc. what position in relation to this hump

Also what is the scale in that map ie. how fast does it rise? 12 feet to 9 feet in what distance?

Without any more information ... i'd put the shack on the down current side of the hump, about halfway between the hump and the channel. ie. towards the yellow dashed track line. However if that contour line north of the hump is a small drop off I'd put the shack closer to it.

If you want PM me the lake name / details and i'll give you some more educated suggestions.
(if it's a river then things change greatly)
clint
Participant
Participant

Post by clint »

I don't mind doing this in public it isn't a secret lake or anything like that.... Its just Mississippi lake and the map is the one that Craig posted in the Ontario fishing map project I just cropped it down to show more specifically where I was looking at...

I've just been looking at the maps trying to find some structure of some sorts that doesn't already have 10 or 15 shacks sitting right on top of it...

I know I'll still have to go out and fish all around the area but I was just looking for opinions in where would be a good place to get started... So thanks for your input so far...
banjo
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by banjo »

I would pop a few holes near the bottom of the number 9 on the shore side first. Hit the drop off ... and then work my way around it following the current. Or drop some xmas trees attached to cinder blocks this spring.... and fish it next winter :-)