Etiquette question

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Sourdough
Participant
Participant

Etiquette question

Post by Sourdough »

I am new to fishing in these crowded southern waters. After last season (my first in Eastern Ontario), I would appreciate a little advice about etiquette from anyone willing to weigh in.

Where is it ok to clean fish? on the water? at the launch? best done at home/camp?

If a launch has room, is it ok to launch next to another party?

What is considered as taking too long to launch or retrieve your boat?

Where is it ok to have a shore lunch? I have noticed many unoccupied islands, but I am never sure if they are privately owned.

Is it acceptablele to go ashore along the side of a farm field so long as no crops are damaged? I have noticed several places along the river where this looks possible, particularly later in the summer when water levels are lower, but have not yet stopped.

For ice fishing, how close is too close to another party?

Is there anything else I should be aware of?

Thanks in advance for the info.
S.
MLR
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Re: Etiquette question

Post by MLR »

Sourdough wrote:I am new to fishing in these crowded southern waters. After last season (my first in Eastern Ontario), I would appreciate a little advice about etiquette from anyone willing to weigh in.

Where is it ok to clean fish? on the water? at the launch? best done at home/camp?
best done at home
sure, why not
make sure all tie down straps except bow eye are removed and drain plug installed prior to back into the launch. When loading the boat, do the bare minimum in the launch, pull out and finish strapping down for transport
Where is it ok to have a shore lunch? I have noticed many unoccupied islands, but I am never sure if they are privately owned.
anywhere on crown land, but it's up to you to know if it's private land or not
Is it acceptablele to go ashore along the side of a farm field so long as no crops are damaged? I have noticed several places along the river where this looks possible, particularly later in the summer when water levels are lower, but have not yet stopped.
that would more than likely be trespassing
For ice fishing, how close is too close to another party?
the same distance you would keep your boat from others
Is there anything else I should be aware of?

Thanks in advance for the info.
S.
Bass Addict
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Bass Addict »

Sourdough wrote:
2 minutes !!!
There will be an influx of Great Grey Owls in the winter of 2017
rex.stpierre
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by rex.stpierre »

What's a reasonable distance to drive by another boat or park by another boat?
This year I spent most of my money on beer, women and fishing...the rest I wasted.
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

Bass Addict wrote:
Sourdough wrote:
2 minutes !!!
To be honest, If you know what you are doing and do what MLR suggested (Be ready to put the boat in the water when you pull up to the ramp), there is no reason to be blocking it off for more than 2 to 3 minutes.

There are guys out there that don't know what they are doing or have bad days, but that would be a reasonable amount of time blocking the actual ramp. If you are launching alone, I would double that time.

There is nothing worse than having to wait for a guy who is blocking the ramp and hasn't done a single thing to his boat while you are ready to go waiting in line.

As for how much room to leave when passing a boat, leave as much room as you can. On the ridea, there isn't a lot of room to navigate so you would need to pass closer than say if you were out on the St. Lawrence. But if you can leave enough room to ensure you are not running over lines, you should be alright.
cprince
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by cprince »

There is nothing worse than when you get behind the freakin' Jamaican bobsled team at the boat launch!!!!!

:evil:

Your best bet is to offer to help them... but no pressure them... AT FIRST!

There was a tournament where the guy I was waiting for was feeling the heat from me and BassAddict.. and the guy cracked under the pressure. It was f-up after f-up that culminated with him almost floating his truck because he left the bow line hooked up from boat to trailer...

When he finally pulled his naked trailer out of the water I almost plowed into it backing down the ramp as he was still coming up!!! I backed in.... slammed on the brakes... the boat skittered off into the water and I SLAMMED the car into drive and STILL had to wait for for that same guy in the parking lot!!!!

Sometimes our own impatience can slow things down more than just calmly waiting.

Craig
StarTzar
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by StarTzar »

Bass Addict wrote:
Sourdough wrote:
2 minutes !!!
Give or take a few seconds.
BAA - 2016 Team 18 (10 shy of 28)
Renegade Bass - 2013 Team 67 - 2014 Team 28 - 2015 Team 51
BAA (Great organization) 2011 and 2012 Team 7
SeaMonster
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by SeaMonster »

I was getting a little imaptient waiting for a guy to pull his rig out of the water, but the sound of his skeg dragging along the ground as he pulled away almost made it worthwhile... (forgot to trim his motor up when he pulled into the launch)

Leson to learn is even if there is a lineup of people waiting , don't get performance anxiety!
rex.stpierre
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by rex.stpierre »

SeaMonster wrote:I was getting a little imaptient waiting for a guy to pull his rig out of the water, but the sound of his skeg dragging along the ground as he pulled away almost made it worthwhile... (forgot to trim his motor up when he pulled into the launch)

Leson to learn is even if there is a lineup of people waiting , don't get performance anxiety!
The horror!
This year I spent most of my money on beer, women and fishing...the rest I wasted.
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

rex.stpierre wrote:
SeaMonster wrote:I was getting a little imaptient waiting for a guy to pull his rig out of the water, but the sound of his skeg dragging along the ground as he pulled away almost made it worthwhile... (forgot to trim his motor up when he pulled into the launch)

The horror!
Performace anxiety/ wanting to get out there quick. I am sure we have all been there as well. I forgot to undo one of the straps (Not both and I do not know how it happen but think my 6 year old destracted me.)on the transom once. That made for an interesting day considering I had to get into the water to fix it AND IT WAS OCTOBER!!!!

Luckily, I was the only one at the ramp.
bostonwhaler
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by bostonwhaler »

If there is room, to launch two boats then go ahead.
But as far as how long should it take to launch or take your boat off the water. Take as long as you need. Have your boat prepped for launch. But if it takes you awhile cause you are just not good at it, take your time. I personally take longer when I see some cocky guy waiting and getting frusterated that It is taking me longer to launch my boat or to load it thatn it takes him. Some people really think they own the launch. I do my best to get in and out as quick as possible, but some people are very unpatient. Those people wait about 10 mins before I get my boat out. lol
I dont rush people, and if they try and rush me they will be really frusterated.
Just my 2 pennies
Hollywood catches more perch than me
SeaMonster
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by SeaMonster »

If you're having trouble getting the boat on/off the trailer that's one thing no impatience there, but if someone is taking stuff from the boat and packing/unpacking the truck while backed in the launch, that's douchbaggery to the n'th degree. Just pull out and do that in the parking lot...